How many PDK users keep their car in auto most of the time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
The Audi R8 offers a very nice manual that is lots of fun to use. With 550 mid-engine HP on tap, there's lots of grins all around. Too bad it doesn't weigh 600 pounds less because it would then be truly awesome. No need to buy a used car so long as Audi keeps offering their 6-speed.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
The Audi R8 offers a very nice manual that is lots of fun to use. With 550 mid-engine HP on tap, there's lots of grins all around. Too bad it doesn't weigh 600 pounds less because it would then be truly awesome. No need to buy a used car so long as Audi keeps offering their 6-speed.
Very true! And it's even a easy car to drive in manual, so what I said about powerful cars are difficult to drive, doesn't apply to every sportscar
Good point!

Suzy991

Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Suzy991
I think you have a point there. But to be honest, the Ferrari F1 transmission is very, very good for track use or fast, inspired driving, but on the other hand a pain in the *** when it comes to drive in traffic or at slow speeds in the city. It's as unrefined as it can get. (In a 360 that is, don't know if the newer cars are better in that area)
If I wanted a Ferrari, I think I also would prefer a manual.
Can't speak for 430 or any others, but 458 is very easily to live with around town. Both my wife and I find it more comfortable than the 991 on longer spirited drive. We both came from MT, and now just love dual clutch cars. Single clutch auto... not so much. Abarth rules!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 AM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Give it another ten years and the GT-R will have GPS and radar guided shift mapping, active suspension controlled by the same, and the computers will be doing three times as much as they are now. Everyone will be having the same argument about how many people let the car do everything and who still uses their flappy paddles. The future steadily marches forward. If you want to feel like a manly man go buy a first or second gen Viper and see how quickly you miss a dual clutch when you are on a long trip or stuck in traffic for a few hours. I completely agree with the desire for a manual to still be offered in the turbo and GT3/2 by the way. There are still plenty of manual options out there.

The great thing about these new cars is that they can fulfill every role. You can take them on long trips for a track day, drive there and back, and still be able to walk properly when you get home. I think Sanibel's Dylan quote said it best.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc

Can't speak for 430 or any others, but 458 is very easily to live with around town. Both my wife and I find it more comfortable than the 991 on longer spirited drive. We both came from MT, and now just love dual clutch cars. Single clutch auto... not so much. Abarth rules!
Abarth definitely rules!

What you say makes sense, because Ferrari chose to go for dual clutch withthe 458. The 430 was a single clutch and they're a lot less refined in terms of driving at lower speeds. At least, that's my own experience with single clutch transmissions.

Suzy991

Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AudiBull
Give it another ten years and the GT-R will have GPS and radar guided shift mapping, active suspension controlled by the same, and the computers will be doing three times as much as they are now. Everyone will be having the same argument about how many people let the car do everything and who still uses their flappy paddles. The future steadily marches forward. If you want to feel like a manly man go buy a first or second gen Viper and see how quickly you miss a dual clutch when you are on a long trip or stuck in traffic for a few hours. I completely agree with the desire for a manual to still be offered in the turbo and GT3/2 by the way. There are still plenty of manual options out there.

The great thing about these new cars is that they can fulfill every role. You can take them on long trips for a track day, drive there and back, and still be able to walk properly when you get home. I think Sanibel's Dylan quote said it best.

Sometimes, I wish this were the case (where people are FORCED to drive a certain speed). Then others, I'm glad nobody is controlling MY speed...

Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Abarth definitely rules!

What you say makes sense, because Ferrari chose to go for dual clutch withthe 458. The 430 was a single clutch and they're a lot less refined in terms of driving at lower speeds. At least, that's my own experience with single clutch transmissions.

Suzy991
Don't have any experience with any other F-car, but we lived with other single clutch auto. Daily use isn't fun, but driving them harder is not bad. We are both very happy with gen. 2 pdk. Abarth is quite a car, but for that money, I would rather have a GTI for much higher quality interior fit and finishes.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by mdc

Don't have any experience with any other F-car, but we lived with other single clutch auto. Daily use isn't fun, but driving them harder is not bad. We are both very happy with gen. 2 pdk. Abarth is quite a car, but for that money, I would rather have a GTI for much higher quality interior fit and finishes.
Agree on the interior of GTI but over here in europe every 19 year old drives a GTI and it's a pretty boring car to own. (Had one myself) The interiors are perfect, almost as good as Audi. But that Abarth doesn't have a bad interior I have to admit. Only downside is that it is a ergonomical mess. The fun you have with the car makes you smile all the time and that is priceless.
For daily driving a GTI (I even prefer a GTD, almost as fast, loads of torque and a lot more economical) is the better car of course. It's practical, roomy, solid and very comfortable, but it lacks soul.

Suzy991

Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 PM
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
My '05 Maserati Quattroporte I think had a single-clutch manumatic and it absolutely sucked in the auto mode: gears would hang up and not upshift. Very clunky and very disappointing from such an otherwise handsome car.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:15 PM
mdc
Agree on the interior of GTI but over here in europe every 19 year old drives a GTI and it's a pretty boring car to own. (Had one myself) The interiors are perfect, almost as good as Audi. But that Abarth doesn't have a bad interior I have to admit. Only downside is that it is a ergonomical mess. The fun you have with the car makes you smile all the time and that is priceless.
For daily driving a GTI (I even prefer a GTD, almost as fast, loads of torque and a lot more economical) is the better car of course. It's practical, roomy, solid and very comfortable, but it lacks soul.

Suzy991
. Yes, the perception is that it is of a "young person" car, along with GTR, M3 etc. But I still love them all, some for its engineering, some for its design. If I am much younger, GTI will be the perfect car for the price. My daughter has a GTI, I am very happy with her decision to go with that car. Best all around value dual clutch out there.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jster
Manual sport or sport+ no foot clutch and separately auto sport or sport + with manual over ride? Well what's not to like about that?
[OK, here goes.....]

Speaking for myself, I don't like the delay of the PDK. There's a good 1/4 to 1/2 second delay between pulling the paddle and the actual shift.

I'm not a "normal" driver - I get that - but that delay really drives me nuts. My weekend "toy" (a pure race car) has a sequential straight-cut gearbox, so when I pull the shifter, I'm used to having it shift RIGHT NOW! In fact, if I don't pull the shifter fast and firm, it will bounce off the dog rings and leave me with a fistful of neutral (and maybe a big repair bill).

Does the PDK do a good job? Yes. Is it probably the best solution for most people? Yes. Do I want one? No - at least not until they release a version that's more like a true race box that cuts the delay to tens of milliseconds or less.

Flame away, but it's just my personal preference.....

Old 07-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
My '05 Maserati Quattroporte I think had a single-clutch manumatic and it absolutely sucked in the auto mode: gears would hang up and not upshift. Very clunky and very disappointing from such an otherwise handsome car.
Yes the Quattroporte had a single clutch, borrowed from Ferrari if I'm correct. Magnificent car btw. Love the looks of Maserati. The new Ghibli is again a very pretty design. The Maserati V8 sound is epic!

Suzy991

Old 07-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by FullThrottle64

[OK, here goes.....]

Speaking for myself, I don't like the delay of the PDK. There's a good 1/4 to 1/2 second delay between pulling the paddle and the actual shift.

I'm not a "normal" driver - I get that - but that delay really drives me nuts. My weekend "toy" (a pure race car) has a sequential straight-cut gearbox, so when I pull the shifter, I'm used to having it shift RIGHT NOW! In fact, if I don't pull the shifter fast and firm, it will bounce off the dog rings and leave me with a fistful of neutral (and maybe a big repair bill).

Does the PDK do a good job? Yes. Is it probably the best solution for most people? Yes. Do I want one? No - at least not until they release a version that's more like a true race box that cuts the delay to tens of milliseconds or less.

Flame away, but it's just my personal preference.....
So the GT3 must be pretty close to what suits you I guess it shifts in less that 100ms. Not close to a sequential of course but that is a completely different transmission and you can't really compare them. It would be way to uncomfortable in a road car. But when you're used to it, I understand that the PDK seems slow...
For 97,5% of the potential buyers it is fast enough I guess.

Suzy991

Old 07-03-2013, 05:35 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Does the PDK do a good job? Yes. Is it probably the best solution for most people? Yes.
This is why it is brilliant. I love a spirited drive when ever I have a chance. Group drive when schedule works out. Do I want to go to the track every other weekend, nope. Once in a blue moon, maybe. For me, it is a perfect daily driver.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 PM
100 milliseconds is 1/10th of a second so I don't see how anyone can complain of a quarter-second to half-second delay. You can't even blink that fast. Even my 8-speed ZF automatic doesn't take that long to shift.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many PDK users keep their car in auto most of the time?