I'm Getting Closer and Interested in Build Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm Getting Closer and Interested in Build Opinions

Here is the build.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PEHPDC14

I'm by no means settled. I appreciate the live and learn experience many of you that are ahead of me already have. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I'm pretty clear on my non-negotiables.
White: I really wish I got both my M3 and S4 in white. On both I couldn't pull the trigger, but this time I'm certain. I considered Agate, but I want white.
7MT: I know the PDK is faster but...
Black Interior: I know I want black. The red is cool but is entirely too much red for me. I've seen some option it out with black dash, top of the door panels, etc. To be honest I don't like Red enough to risk customizing with black accents, so black it is.
Sport Design Package: I would love the Aerocup kit, but I just can't get over how the rear wing looks odd with the duck tail still there. I would rather it just have the wing. I also like the front bumper on the Sport Design better, so this is my choice.
PASM Sport Suspension: I've read about the hassle of tearing apart the interior to lower the car after the fact, so this is a must for me.
20-Carrera S Wheels Painted in Platinum Satin: The classic wheel is a bit more grown up to me, and I think it looks better in photos. The Carrera S Wheel looks much better in person and will be infinitely easier to clean. An added bonus is the matte gunmetal finish.
Sport Seats Plus: I get the appeal, but couldn't care less about more seat adjustments. All I need is the ability to more them forward and make a few minor adjustments. 18-way adjustable just adds weight and is a waste of money (in my opinion). I decided to go Sport Plus for the plastic back to help with my 2 year-old's future footprints. I figured it would be more durable.
Luggage Net In Passenger footwell: Basic free option.

These are the options I almost certain about.
Burmester: This to me is pretty simple. I haven't heard it yet. Once I do, I'll be able to decide in about 30 seconds on this one. I have heard all of the opinions, but I appear to have a different ear than most. I hate the harshness of most metal dome speakers when most perceive it as "clear." I actually, by far, prefer the base BMW professional audio in my M3 over the B&O package in my S4. The ribbon tweeter design of the Burmester will probably satisfy me, but we'll see. I would much rather have this option rather than tearing apart the car for aftermarket DynAudio/Audison.
Leather Interior: I would really like some advice on this. Interiors don't really do much for me. I know the leather will look nicer, but will I hate myself if I don't do it? I know...I know $120,000 car, get the leather. For some reason I keep coming back to this one.
Black Headlights w/ PDLS: I don't care much about PDLS, but I think the black headlights will go well if I tint the windows and have the darker wheels. For $1,500, I think I will do this.
Sport Chrono: I am also pretty torn on this one. I won't be going to the track. I would basically be buying this for the look of the clock and the potential of the dynamic engine mounts. It's only $1,850, but would I be sorry if I didn't get this?
Sport Exhaust: This one comes down to aftermarket or no aftermarket. I don't think I've ever had a car without an aftermarket exhaust. That being said, I've never heard an OEM exhaust sound like this one. I'm inclined to get with it. Worst case scenario, I eat the $2,950 when I go aftermarket later.

I'm still trying to figure these out.
Smoking Package: I guess this makes sense to cover up the hole.
Model Designation "911": I've seen it done a bunch of different ways. I don't know what to do here, but it's not a life changing decision. I'll probably end up debagging it the first time I have to clean the dirt out of the letters/numbers.
Sport Design Steering Wheel: I also don't know about this one. I tend to hold the steering wheel with my left hand at 12 o'clock and there is that gap in the leather. Will this bother me? I'm not sure.
Deviated Stiching: I probably already answered my question about this option above. I'm guessing if I'm puckering up on paying for a leather interior, I probably won't want to pay for stitching. But it just looks so darn nice.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
Really nice built and good move on "No sunroof". How heavy is the Burmester Pkg?

Old 08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
I also have a 2014 Carrera S on order and I opted for the sport chrono. For model year 2013 and on sport chrono in a manual transmission car has the auto rev matched down shifts which for me is an absolute no brainer - unless you are proficient at heal and toe I would definitely keep this option. Adds more enjoyment to the manual transmission experience plus you can turn this feature on and off with the sport plus button (which comes with sport chrono)

I would go with the sport design wheel - it looks and feels so nice plus it breaks up the dark black interior with a little bit of silver which goes well with the rest of the silver trim. That piece at 12 o'clock won't bother you- but for spirited driving better use the 9 and 3 o'clock position!!

I decided not to go with go factory sport exhaust - I want something more aggressive and am looking at the Sharkwerks option which seems to be getting excellent reviews from the first few adopters.

Are going the no sunroof option by the way?

Nice build and you will love the car! Good luck in your decision.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Money2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond reputeMoney2536 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LPB987S
I also have a 2014 Carrera S on order and I opted for the sport chrono. For model year 2013 and on sport chrono in a manual transmission car has the auto rev matched down shifts which for me is an absolute no brainer - unless you are proficient at heal and toe I would definitely keep this option. Adds more enjoyment to the manual transmission experience plus you can turn this feature on and off with the sport plus button (which comes with sport chrono)

I would go with the sport design wheel - it looks and feels so nice plus it breaks up the dark black interior with a little bit of silver which goes well with the rest of the silver trim. That piece at 12 o'clock won't bother you- but for spirited driving better use the 9 and 3 o'clock position!!

I decided not to go with go factory sport exhaust - I want something more aggressive and am looking at the Sharkwerks option which seems to be getting excellent reviews from the first few adopters.

Are going the no sunroof option by the way?

Nice build and you will love the car! Good luck in your decision.
I heard mention of the Auto Rev Match. I'm definitely in on Sport Chrono then.

I'm absolutely certain I don't want a sunroof. I live in blazing hot Orlando and am a super whitey. I will never ever use it and much prefer a hard top.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Your build is pretty much perfect.

Absolutely go with the Sport design wheel. It gives you all the functionality of the multi-function wheel, bar volume control.
That's the only way to avoid the cheap black plastic buttons on the MF steering wheel. Trust me - you will not notice the gap in the leather.

Smokers package - a big YES.
Model Designation - a big YES. Far too busy with too many fonts.
Sport Chrono is worthless with an MT (this I personally know) but the added rev-matching feature makes it oh so worth it.

Now go forth and order...

Old 08-18-2013, 08:47 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dux
Your build is pretty much perfect.

Absolutely go with the Sport design wheel. It gives you all the functionality of the multi-function wheel, bar volume control.
That's the only way to avoid the cheap black plastic buttons on the MF steering wheel. Trust me - you will not notice the gap in the leather.

Smokers package - a big YES.
Model Designation - a big YES. Far too busy with too many fonts.
Sport Chrono is worthless with an MT (this I personally know) but the added rev-matching feature makes it oh so worth it.

Now go forth and order...

The sport design wheel has no buttons on it so how can it have the functionality of the MF wheel except volume? Am I missing something?

Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
The sport design wheel has no buttons on it so how can it have the functionality of the MF wheel except volume? Am I missing something?
The Sport Design steering comes with an additional stalk under your wiper controls that toggles (up / down - forward and backward) and gives you the exact sames ability to scroll thru all the functions just like the MF steering.

Changes stations, CD, nav, answer phone etc etc etc

Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by dux
The Sport Design steering comes with an additional stalk under your wiper controls that toggles (up / down - forward and backward) and gives you the exact sames ability to scroll thru all the functions just like the MF steering.

Changes stations, CD, nav, answer phone etc etc etc

So the MF wheel does not have that additional stalk?? I thought it did on all the cars regardless of steering wheel option.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 PM
JoeInDallas will become famous soon enough
Money2536, looks like a great build. I am a big fan of the Sport Design front end and of the duck tail.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
Go full leather, otherwise the interior is no different than a Volkswagon.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 AM
dux
So the MF wheel does not have that additional stalk?? I thought it did on all the cars regardless of steering wheel option.
No stalk with MF. Only with Sport Design wheel..

Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 AM
I woke up a 3AM wondering if I would rather have the Power Kit and get rid of some of the more cosmetic options. I'm not sure why, but $125,000 seems to be my breaking point. Thoughts?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PEPRNFM4

Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
I would definitely go for Sport Chrono and the PSE. Sport Chrono gives you Sport Plus which changes the character of the car quite dramatically because the engine mapping is changed and I really enjoy driving the car in Sport Plus.

Full leather interior is a very nice to have but I think that for a black interior, I, personally would only do full leather if I also chose full deviated stitching in silver. I find the black interior rather one dimensional and think that the contrasting stitching would add a lot of depth and richness to the interior. If you look up NMurry's car, I think he had contrasting stitching on black or dark grey leather. Looks spectacular.

Good luck with the build.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 PM
reidry is on a distinguished road
Might consider front seat ventilation. I'm just to the east over near Cocoa Beach - vented seats are great.

Otherwise it looks really good.

Ryan

Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
JoeInDallas will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Money2536
I woke up a 3AM wondering if I would rather have the Power Kit and get rid of some of the more cosmetic options. I'm not sure why, but $125,000 seems to be my breaking point. Thoughts?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PEPRNFM4

I ordered the Powerkit and the full Aerokit. Don't have mine yet. About 2 more months to wait. My build was up around 173K. If I had to choose between the Powerkit and fancy interior trim, I would choose the Powerkit. Since I didn't have to choose, I got both.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm Getting Closer and Interested in Build Opinions