Wheel alignment questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 AM
ww007 has a spectacular aura aboutww007 has a spectacular aura aboutww007 has a spectacular aura about
Wheel alignment questions

So my 2013 C2S with only about 6400 miles on it seems to be tracking to the right. I do have a couple of track days on it but I believe that it was not aligned perfectly from the beginning (although it seems to have gotten noticeably worse). This is annoying the hell out of me (and I'm guessing wearing out the tires unevenly) so I'm thinking of taking it in for an alignment.

My dealer wants $300+ for a one time alignment, which I find to be quite outrageous.

A local Firestone wants about $200 for a one time alignment, $400 for lifetime alignments (much more than their regular alignments as the car is considered an "exotic"). I'm thinking of going with their $400 lifetime deal (good for as long as I own the car).

Thing is, I have PDCC and the sport technos, which are wider than the standard rears. The Firestone people say they have the alignment data for the 2013 C2S with 20 inch rims, but I'm wondering if the alignment data for PDCC and sport technos are different. If so, I'm guessing any 3rd party alignment center won't have access to such data.

Anyone know if PDCC or wider rear tires should affect the alignment data? Any thoughts on how I should go about this alignment issue? Thanks!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM
rdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to behold
Hey - I had an alignment done at the dealer last week after 1yr and its amazing how much better the car is tracking/driving. My feeling about this is - unless you have a good indy - you go to the dealer. And realistically - you have a $100k+car...$200 or $329...is it really that much different?

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Richard911 is on a distinguished road
From lessons learned I have each new car dealer aligned before delivery. After bouncing on a delivery truck and ocean transport I have not had one that hasn't needed a tweaking.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, Alignments aren't thrown out by a little bouncing around in transit.. It's caused by component wear or something bent...

If it's out on a new vehicle then it's because it was never set correctly in the first place.. On a brand new car if it's off I'd demand it be fixed as part of warranty...

I'm not much for having dealers do simple maint stuff. The 10 and 20K stuff is trivial. But I'm not sure I'd go to Firestone for a Porsche alignment..

Originally Posted by Richard911
From lessons learned I have each new car dealer aligned before delivery. After bouncing on a delivery truck and ocean transport I have not had one that hasn't needed a tweaking.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
I would worry that Firestone might scratch the wheels with the alignment sensors.