Scary thought... price of new tires..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:33 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Scary thought... price of new tires..?

So... what can I expect in the US, for a set of replacement tires for a 20" wheels on C2S?

And let me preface that by saying I'm not necessarily interested in performance tires... Car will be driven relatively conservatively, never tracked etc.. If balancing between performance and ride, I'd lean heavily towards ride...

Old 09-23-2013, 12:41 PM
yxc145 is on a distinguished road
$1300?

Old 09-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Pcar991 will become famous soon enoughPcar991 will become famous soon enough
Goto tire rack.com and follow the ques for the Porsche 911 tires. They are a good indicator of price and also a good vendor to deal with. They also have approved installers that the tires can be directly shipped to. All available on their website.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by yxc145
$1300?

for 3 tires maybe.

the Pirelli, in Porsche "N" specs are about $1600-1700 + balancing + mounting. so prob closer towards $1800.

There's just not a lot to choose from.

However I would get the MPSS in 245 and 305s in non "N" spec for slightly less.

Last edited by kosmo69; 09-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
So, I'm looking about about $450 or so apiece?..

Ok.. .I can deal with that.. I thought I saw something where people said they paid almost $1K per tire..

Old 09-23-2013, 03:06 PM
NeunElf will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scatkins
So... what can I expect in the US, for a set of replacement tires for a 20" wheels on C2S?

And let me preface that by saying I'm not necessarily interested in performance tires... Car will be driven relatively conservatively, never tracked etc.. If balancing between performance and ride, I'd lean heavily towards ride...
If ride is important, why a 911?

Performance cars need performance tires.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by NeunElf

+1 Agreed.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Of course you want some degree of performance tires on a sports car.. That was a given and the general presumption is you couldn't even find anything in this class compatible that wasn't..

With tires of any type there is usually a compromise between those that have a better ride vs those that provide the best performance.. And often I've found that the higher-performance tires (in general and not necessarily a 911) can cost a lot more.

And given a choice I'd save some money and sacrifice a little performance since I'm not tracking or trying to race the car. But that depends on the costs involved..

The reason I stated it like that is folks here have a dramatically wide range of interests in the reasons they have 911 and how they use them. All the way from DD's who just go to work and back to serious racers.. So just setting the expectation of what is important to me as everyone has their own subjective perspective..

And if ride weren't of any any importance in a 991 then there wouldn't be the multitude of PASM, SPASM and PDCC settings and by default every 911 would all be defaulted to the most aggressive performance settings and without buttons on the console to select otherwise.. Since that isn't the case, it is obviously all a matter of degree... Personally given a choice of options, I don't mind a ride that is on the harsher ride, but it doesn't mean I want to pay extra for the privilege when I don't need it..

Originally Posted by NeunElf

Last edited by scatkins; 09-23-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Within the category of performance tires, there is still a range... No such thing as an optimal tire for all conditions and uses.. It's a compromise of what is important to the driver..

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
+1 Agreed.

Last edited by scatkins; 09-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Michelin Pilot Super Sports for superior summer performance AND ride and wear. Michelin Pilot AS3 for all year round superior performance AND ride and wear. Both at competitive prices to other reasonable options.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Cool thanks..

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Michelin Pilot Super Sports for superior summer performance AND ride and wear. Michelin Pilot AS3 for all year round superior performance AND ride and wear. Both at competitive prices to other reasonable options.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, I think my MPSS' were about $1450 out the door, mounted and balanced at discount tire.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Does Kumho or Hankook offer tires in thoses sizes? I have had excellent sucess with both and their pricing in the sizes I was shopping was easily the best.

Ecsta all seasons now on both of our cars.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by kosmo69
for 3 tires maybe.

the Pirelli, in Porsche "N" specs are about $1600-1700 + balancing + mounting. so prob closer towards $1800.

There's just not a lot to choose from.

However I would get the MPSS in 245 and 305s in non "N" spec for slightly less.

Exactly right on!...$1800 is fair estimate for 4 tires mounted and balanced

Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 AM
yxc145 is on a distinguished road
Went on Tire Rack. I was surprised that there are not many choices for 295/30/20 size tires. There is really only Michelin and Perilli. And they only have either Winter/Snow tires or Performance Summer tires.
I would rather put All-Season tires on mine. 245/35/20 size, there are a lot more options and much cheaper. So here are my questions. How bad is it to put two different brands of tires? How bad is it to use All-Season tires in the front and Performance Summer tires in the back? This is only for daily driving. No racing, tracking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scary thought... price of new tires..?