Powdercoating or painting calipers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
1960apache has a spectacular aura about1960apache has a spectacular aura about
Powdercoating or painting calipers?

Anyone have their calipers painted or powdercoated and what were the results? I have seen the cheap do it yourself kits and they look like they would be a low quality option that would look horrible on a new Porsche!

Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 PM
stef430 has a spectacular aura aboutstef430 has a spectacular aura about
Crazy enough, the heat generated and stored as regards calipers in particular make it more suitable for paint rather than powder coating -- personal experience on more than a few....

Old 01-09-2014, 02:59 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Painting works best. I have had excellent results with the kits available.

BUT...if you have standard black brakes please don't paint them red. Don't be an "S" wannabe.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Painting base "black" to "red" (or even "yellow") is bad form..

Agree.. very wannabe.

Here is the thing, anyone who KNOWS enough about Porsche's to be impressed with "red" brakes.. will KNOWS the other differences and will know the car isn't an "S".. And you will immediately be classified as a "tool".. Anyone who doesn't know, won't be impressed anyway.. It's a lose-lose proposition..

And don't think about re badging your base as an "S".. makes you a double tool.. Instead remove the entire badging. at least it creates mystery.

At a minimum I'd get a conversion kit to get real S brakes, .. at least your story can be you upgraded to better brakes.

But paint...? Don't do it, it's lame.. worse than a toupee...

Old 01-10-2014, 02:10 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BradB
Painting works best. I have had excellent results with the kits available.

BUT...if you have standard black brakes please don't paint them red. Don't be an "S" wannabe.
Allthough I have a C2, not an S, I completely agree with that ! Actually I'm proud of my C2 so why would I want it to be something It is not ? So no "red"-s-wannabee and no "yellow"-pccb-wannabee for me.

Furthermore, my car is white, wheels are dark (plat. silk), so actually imo the black callipers look better than the red ones on my specific car. Allthough now I come to think of it, maybe the callipers would look good in white too with my color combo.

Last edited by bccars; 01-10-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bccars
Allthough I have a C2, not an S, I completely agree with that ! Actually I'm proud of my C2 so why would I want it to be something It is not ? So no "red"-s-wannabee and no "yellow"-pccb-wannabee for me.

Furthermore, my car is white, wheels are dark (plat. silk), so actually imo the black callipers look better than the red ones on my specific car. Allthough now I come to think of it, maybe the callipers would look good in white too with my color combo.
Hmmm. White sounds interesting, with black Porsche lettering. Never thought of that. Keep us posted if you decide to do it along with pics.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stef430
Crazy enough, the heat generated and stored as regards calipers in particular make it more suitable for paint rather than powder coating -- personal experience on more than a few....
The shop I use that does a lot of track and race car prep told me the exact same thing and was surprised the OEM calipers were powder coated. I am re doing mine in spring, painting them.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:22 AM
stef430 has a spectacular aura aboutstef430 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by STALKER
The shop I use that does a lot of track and race car prep told me the exact same thing and was surprised the OEM calipers were powder coated. I am re doing mine in spring, painting them.
So, from the absurd, consider this --

I spec'd my 4.0 with steel brakes - for many reasons, -

BUT, I installed PCCBs because I don't track it and consider PCCBS better IMO for street; steel better for track (my 997 RSR has steel for example).

BUT - and you all will love this - I changed the calipers (did NOT paint actually changed) to the reds (basically the same part number and part with some minor mods)

If this doesn't confirm I'm crazy.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4 oh red.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	319699  

Last edited by stef430; 01-10-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Hey great idea... I can see it in the online configurator: Porsche Exclusive.. "Brakes painted in exterior color" $3,200...

Originally Posted by bccars

Old 01-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by scatkins
Painting base "black" to "red" (or even "yellow") is bad form..

Agree.. very wannabe.

Here is the thing, anyone who KNOWS enough about Porsche's to be impressed with "red" brakes.. will KNOWS the other differences and will know the car isn't an "S".. And you will immediately be classified as a "tool".. Anyone who doesn't know, won't be impressed anyway.. It's a lose-lose proposition..

And don't think about re badging your base as an "S".. makes you a double tool.. Instead remove the entire badging. at least it creates mystery.

At a minimum I'd get a conversion kit to get real S brakes, .. at least your story can be you upgraded to better brakes.

But paint...? Don't do it, it's lame.. worse than a toupee...
Putting on a fake badge is one thing because no one would put on an S or Turbo badge because it looks better. But painting the calipers is an estethic thing. If anyone wants red calipers because they think it looks better I don't see any reason why they shouldn't do it.

N

Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stef430
So, from the absurd, consider this --

I spec'd my 4.0 with steel brakes - for many reasons, -

BUT, I installed PCCBs because I don't track it and consider PCCBS better IMO for street; steel better for track (my 997 RSR has steel for example).

BUT - and you all will love this - I changed the calipers (did NOT paint actually changed) to the reds (basically the same part number and part with some minor mods)

If this doesn't confirm I'm crazy.....
Love the 4.0!!!!

Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Really? You think anyone with a base would pick of all the colors possible... Red ? and it would be just because it looks better and not to give them the look of an upgrade?

I'm sure it's possible although I doubt when I've seen it that is the reason..

Funny I've never seen blue, silver, or other colors..

And if someone is considering doing it supposedly just for esthetics then they should know they will be snickered at..

Don't believe it?, then go right ahead..

Originally Posted by Zlaatan
Putting on a fake badge is one thing because no one would put on an S or Turbo badge because it looks better. But painting the calipers is an estethic thing. If anyone wants red calipers because they think it looks better I don't see any reason why they shouldn't do it. N

Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
I'm not a big fan of the red calipers on my car and would prefer them another color, probably GT Silver. Low on my list though on what I would spend my time and $$$ on. And while I can see the point of why Porsche and other manufacturers paint their calipers of certain models various colors the last thing I would worry about if I decided to change them is what anyone else thought of it.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Rapture1
I'm not a big fan of the red calipers on my car and would prefer them another color, probably GT Silver. Low on my list though on what I would spend my time and $$$ on. And while I can see the point of why Porsche and other manufacturers paint their calipers of certain models various colors the last thing I would worry about if I decided to change them is what anyone else thought of it.
Yep if you don't care then it doesn't matter..

But you have no idea how many yellow and red brakes I've seen on base 911s.. My guess is those folks did care..

Old 01-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
It's just a color...don't see the problem with a "base" model having red calipers. I'm having my yellow PCCBs calipers painted red because I don't like yellow and think red looks better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating or painting calipers?