Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:23 PM
plstc is on a distinguished road
ECU tuning and Porsche Warranty

Need some help
Getting ready to send my ECU from new C4S
to GIAC for tuning and my "car guy" insists that 2 different
Porsche dealers insisted that if ECU modification is detected that Porsche warranty is voided.
I have heard otherwise
Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks

Old 01-25-2014, 02:28 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
If Porsche finds it, and they can find it….they will void your warranty when and if they see fit.

If you are going in for non engine, tranny, or power train issues, then I think you are OK, but if you go in for anything else and they detect it, do not think for one moment they will not blame it on the tune and refuse warranty claim.

I know from experience with BMW dealers.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks
Have you actually heard of this happening?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
My local Porsche dealer installed it saying it wouldn't affect warranty. Overpaid by 50% vs What GIAC charges but worth it

Old 01-25-2014, 02:34 PM
The dealer reprogrammed your software?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tom 991s
My local Porsche dealer installed it saying it wouldn't affect warranty. Overpaid by 50% vs What GIAC charges but worth it
Its not the dealer that will ultimately decide if your warranty claims will be voided, its Porsche of North America. Im sure your dealer will help you out and try to claim things a certain manner as to not attract attention to the tune, but you are always taking a risk.

I had a situation with my BMW where I had software done at one dealer and BMW didn't want to claim the repairs as reported from another dealer, but the dealer that sold the software ended up helping me out. But Dinan works differently then GIAC.

For the gains software gives you with out modding anything else, its not worth it IMO, and I have gone through a lot of cars, modded and stock…$$$$

Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Great advice
I've always done larger mods and I bet you're right

Old 01-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Dealer removed ecu and sent to giac for reprogramming.
Checked with Porsche cars North America before and their response was that I should coordinate with my dealer...

Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom 991s
Dealer removed ecu and sent to giac for reprogramming.
Checked with Porsche cars North America before and their response was that I should coordinate with my dealer...
Did the dealer give you something in writing stating they would pay for any warranty work that was denied by PCNA?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
depends on the individual dealer... I had a c6 z06 under warranty with a tune , CAI, thermostat, and exhaust. blew my alternator up racing it and they covered it with no problem no questions asked. the dealer was mod friendly.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Not in writing, though the bill they gave me for the GIAC was interesting "prepackaged product" or something like that. So no way to be totally sure.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it is also a question of what the mod is, what goes wrong, and how much it is going to cost to fix. If you blew the engine I would think everyone would be falling all over themselves to avoid liability. If you have a backup camera installed, for example, something goes wrong in the electrical system, they may duck - they can't duck a suspension problem. The problem with a tune is it impacts so many engine and computer systems - gives them a lot of room to claim that the warrantee is void. I would be careful. Doing it at a dealer is a big help. Getting something, even an e-mail from PCNA would be better!

Old 01-26-2014, 09:18 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
After losing my 911S engine for unknown reasons (it's being investigated by Porsche, they simply took my engine out and put a brand new engine in the car) - I'd highly advise getting something in writing so you might have some recourse if you have engine problems in the future. That said, hope it's awesome and you find a dealer/shop who will take care of the tuned car warranty (come what may) down the road.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 AM
There is no way the tuner, Porsche or the dealer will give you something in writing…they are not ready to take that sort of responsibility.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:49 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
The warranty contract is between the buyer and Porsche.
The dealer can say, affirm, or promise you anything, but unless Porsche joins in - it will not change, extend or modify the warranty.

IMHO I would recommend the purchase of a Subaru or Toyota and tune away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU tuning and Porsche Warranty