New tires: Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Super Sports

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Turbotip will become famous soon enoughTurbotip will become famous soon enough
Hi guys. So I just got a set of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the 255/35/20 front and 305/30/20 rears from Tirerack and installed them on my C4S yesterday. Not bad, but I actually think I prefer the Pirellis. Anyone interested in this set with about 100 miles on them for a discount? If so, I will order the Pirellis and take these off. I am located in Norther California. Let me know.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:07 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Agree...I'm staying with Pirellis.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I didn't even think once to change pirellis ...I'm staying for life of the vehicle

Old 08-20-2016, 09:37 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm, seems the majority like the Michelins, so hearing that you think Pirellis are better is a change. Can you elaborate on why you think P's are better than the M's? Noise, road feel, handling?

Last edited by PorscheCrazy; 08-21-2016 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:57 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Guess they like the road noise, poor grip, etc.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:56 AM
mikeva will become famous soon enoughmikeva will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by does195
Guess they like the road noise, poor grip, etc.
I'm not sure it is "like" -- in my case 1) my hearing has gotten bad enough at 72 that I can't hear any difference in the road noise between Pirelli and Michelin tires; 2) I must not be quite as aggressive with my driving as many of you because I have never pushed the car so far that I've lost it due to poor grip - most of my driving is on the street with a couple of autocross or running around the track in the non-race groups; 3) since MPSS's don't come with an N rating then I believe you are giving up something that Porsche thinks you need to optimize how they have set up the car and I don't think that I am smarter that the Porsche engineers for my type of driving; and 4) I can easily find Pirelli's that fit my CS2 Cab.

And yes there are some Michelin Sport Cup 2's that have the N-spec but after talking to the Michelin folks at the Porsche Parade this year I can't work up to much interest in a tire that the manufacturer recommends not be used where there is "ponding water" as I run into that occasionally when I am out driving at various times during the year.

I really am happy with my Pirelli N1 Spec tires and don't really feel that I am missing that much by not running MPSS's. And, if you are happy with your Michelins that is great also!

Old 08-21-2016, 09:44 AM
MagicRat has a spectacular aura aboutMagicRat has a spectacular aura about
I do wonder if the P Zero has improved some recently. I changed my 911 over to MPSS and the change was great, but my Spyder runs on the P0s it came with (they are N1). Did a long out-and-back run this morning with a car change halfway through so got to drive both down the same twisties, and the Spyder was pulling similar Gs to the 911. Did a flat-out braking test as well (same road, same temperature, different cars obviously!) MPSS 911 was 1.27, P0 Spyder 1.22 so not much in it.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
The new P0 with the N1 rating do not have the noise cancelling compound according to the Tire Rack site. When I need to change from the P0 on my TTS I will go with the MPSS. Had them on my Cayman S and liked them. Road noise is important factor to me.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:23 AM
diononiz will become famous soon enough
Just switched from the the stock Pirelli Pzero N0 to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. What tire pressures are you guys running?

Right now I have the 31/39 the owner's manual recommends for the "comfort" setting

Old 08-27-2016, 10:27 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by diononiz
Just switched from the the stock Pirelli Pzero N0 to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. What tire pressures are you guys running?

Right now I have the 31/39 the owner's manual recommends for the "comfort" setting
I go with the comfort setting for a while and the switch back to higher settings as the car seems a little sluggish with lower pressures

Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
31/34

Old 08-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Turbotip will become famous soon enoughTurbotip will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Hmmm, seems the majority like the Michelins, so hearing that you think Pirellis are better is a change. Can you elaborate on why you think P's are better than the M's? Noise, road feel, handling?
I just switched back to Pirelli Pzeros after driving the Michelins Pilot Super Sports for a few hundred miles. I daily drive my car and regularly take the back roads and fast canyon roads on my way to work, so I have experienced both sets of tires in a wide range of road types. Here are my personal findings:

Michelins are more comfortable in casual driving, but when the road gets bumpy or a little rough, they feel "bouncy" and "heavy" and are not as controlled as the Pirellis.

When I started picking up the pace with the Michelins, I did not have the same confidence as I did with the Pirellis. The turn in was not as crisp and I did not have the same feeling of control. When I put the Pzeros back on, I immediately felt more confident and in control. I find I can drive at higher speeds on the same roads with less movement and the car just feels more stable and planted with Pirellis. I am very happy to have the Pirellis back on. I do feel more of the road imperfections and experience a slightly rougher ride, but to me this is an acceptable trade off.

I tried the Michelins based on a lot of the positive comments here on the board, but they did not perform as good as the Pirellis for my car (2014 C4S) and my driving style. I thought I would pass on my personal experience for those who are considering the switch so they can decide what features are most important.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:27 PM
r11rs will become famous soon enough
Great discussion - currently running the Pirelli P0, but considering switching to the MPSS per buddies who track regularly recommendations.

Looks like TireRack is showing new versions are out but not rated yet? Anyone know any more info on them? The MPSS certainly are the clear winner in reviews against the old/current P0 version they are closing out...

Old 05-14-2017, 12:13 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Turbotip
I just switched back to Pirelli Pzeros after driving the Michelins Pilot Super Sports for a few hundred miles. I daily drive my car and regularly take the back roads and fast canyon roads on my way to work, so I have experienced both sets of tires in a wide range of road types. Here are my personal findings:

Michelins are more comfortable in casual driving, but when the road gets bumpy or a little rough, they feel "bouncy" and "heavy" and are not as controlled as the Pirellis.

When I started picking up the pace with the Michelins, I did not have the same confidence as I did with the Pirellis. The turn in was not as crisp and I did not have the same feeling of control. When I put the Pzeros back on, I immediately felt more confident and in control. I find I can drive at higher speeds on the same roads with less movement and the car just feels more stable and planted with Pirellis. I am very happy to have the Pirellis back on. I do feel more of the road imperfections and experience a slightly rougher ride, but to me this is an acceptable trade off.

I tried the Michelins based on a lot of the positive comments here on the board, but they did not perform as good as the Pirellis for my car (2014 C4S) and my driving style. I thought I would pass on my personal experience for those who are considering the switch so they can decide what features are most important.
Thanks. Based on this, pretty easy decision for me

Old 05-14-2017, 06:54 AM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: New tires: Pirelli P Zero to Michelin Super Sports