Porsche configurator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:52 PM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Porsche configurator

Hoping someone at Porsche reads this:

Fix the online configurator!
I'd like to be able to see what the vehicle I spec will look like with selected options and trims.
Given the profit that Porsche makes, especially for configured vehicles, we should get an accurate rendering.
Specifically talking about CF, alcantara, painted plastics, generally anything other than wheels and body color.

The software and technology is available and lesser car websites don't seem to have problems.
Porsche, your website needs work, in presentation and navigation.

Also, where are the 991 PDF manuals? The app is pretty lame.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 AM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Have you tried using the "3D" display in the configurator, as opposed to the "2D"? Although it takes a little while to load, the 3D display does a much more detailed job of displaying the options.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS

Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Moje,

Switch to 3D like DMoore suggested. I, too, hadn't realized the difference until I tried it one day. It is annoying; you have to download a separate plugin. But once it is installed, every single option shows up on the car configurator. Pretty neat.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:24 AM
hinckley will become famous soon enough
I know people complain about - I guess because people just complain - but in 3D mode, the Porsche configurator is better than any other online configuration tool. It probably needs to be with all the different options, but imo it does work great.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 AM
fergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nice
Originally Posted by hinckley
I know people complain about - I guess because people just complain - but in 3D mode, the Porsche configurator is better than any other online configuration tool. It probably needs to be with all the different options, but imo it does work great.
I completely agree that the 3D configuration works great, certainly better than any other I've used. It rendered a stunningly accurate depiction of the alcantara wheel, white instrument faces and Garnet Red interior on my new Targa. The only item I couldn't select was the deviated stitching color on the natural leather. That had to be done by the dealer in the Porsche system when I ordered the car. I also like that you can choose day/night backgrounds and turn on exterior lights.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:57 AM
I have extensively been in 3D mode and my gripe is that it is not accurate in displaying in terms of selected options as well as the quality of the rendering.

For example I've been looking at a GT3 and a Cayman GTS and cannot see the interior trim materials changing, painted plastics. Sure the wheel can change, but sometimes selecting an option is not discernible.
So I wonder if the rendered display is correct - especially trying to see what parts are already CF, what can be, or when body color painted trims are introduced, what changes.
I'm an architect working with models all the time so maybe I just expect better renderings.

I'd sometimes be happier with actual photos of options packages like in the PDF catalogs, that way I can put the image together in my head.

The point is more so understanding what you get when a package is selected, the extent of the package - as opposed to seeing it coordinated.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:33 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Expectations for the Configurator seems a little unrealistic... I don't think it was ever intended to be a perfect cad 3d rendering tool worthy of architectural quality..

For the most part I think it is pretty good at what it intends to do. .. Also the colors will never be right on a computer display anyway.. If there was anything that I would have rather had available are the "Z" options which aren't shown. Those are the custom configuration items like deviated stitching etc. Those however aren't available on the consumer tool only at the dealer.

One reason I hate dealing with the public is that no mater what you do, someone will find something to gripe about.

Last edited by scatkins; 09-06-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:24 PM
hinckley will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by moje911
I have extensively been in 3D mode and my gripe is that it is not accurate in displaying in terms of selected options as well as the quality of the rendering.

Sometimes you can't "see" differences in the renderings because they're difficult to discern in real life. I've found that first hand in some of the small trim pieces in plastic vs leather. Also, the facelifted Cayanne 3D configurator now renders deviating leather and stitching. It's probably on it's way for the facelifted 911 configurator as well, but I used it to get an idea of how some of my 911 deviations would look. Check it out.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by moje911

For example I've been looking at a GT3 and a Cayman GTS and cannot see the interior trim materials changing, painted plastics. Sure the wheel can change, but sometimes selecting an option is not discernible.
So I wonder if the rendered display is correct - especially trying to see what parts are already CF, what can be, or when body color painted trims are introduced, what changes.
I'm an architect working with models all the time so maybe I just expect better renderings.

I'd sometimes be happier with actual photos of options packages like in the PDF catalogs, that way I can put the image together in my head.

The point is more so understanding what you get when a package is selected, the extent of the package - as opposed to seeing it coordinated.
I understand. I have to say, though, that Porsche's 3D configurator is, by far, the most extensive and detailed car builder out there. I'm actually amazed by the amount of options it does reflect.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
I understand where the OP is coming from, but I think he's expecting an awful lot from a web site. Don't forget, this isn't just for America - they've got to make that configurator work for every country that they sell in, with both RHD and LHD, different languages, different option availability, etc.

Add to that all of the possible permutations and combinations, and it's no trivial task.

I'm not an architect, I'm an I/T guy.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:09 AM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Use 3D. It is the best configurator out there.

You can see EVERYTHING, from material surfaces to trim options. Even the small details like parking sensors and painted headlight washers will appear.

It could also be that your monitor isn't displaying properly.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:08 AM
yes - you are all correct - the 3D shows all
(though it doesn't work in Chrome)
the 2D was what I was referring to