need help with a watch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:48 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
You can buy all the above just by walking into a store ...but if you are wanting something real special that relates to Porsche and coordinates with your Guards Red car , try to track down an early -80s vintage Butzi Porsche -designed German Bund (Military) PVD Chronograph with the legendary late great Lemania 5100 movement with its iconic CENTRALLY mounted " jet-fighter " STOP- MINUTES as well as baton stop- seconds hands .

It's got some red and the Porsche Design PVD look in the 70s begat the darkened watch case/bracelet trend that continues to this day , just as the OEM blacking out of chrome in the mid 70s 911s helped lead to that trend in sports cars .

or you can buy a brand new Sinn ( " zeen " ) 140 St with their in house "manufactur" SZ-01 movement with same ultra rare central stop-minute chrono hand complication :

OTOH, if you are both a watch nut who desires this feature AND you own a 918 , like Seinfeld , you'd want this one to more closely match its acid green badging and brake calipers !

Last edited by MKW; 09-19-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:08 AM
studlee is on a distinguished road
it's so hard to choose. i like this MILLE MIGLIA ZAGATO. if there was no budget i'd get the audemars piguet.

where could i get a custom leather band with deviated stitching?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	168550-3004_01.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	402269   Click image for larger version

Name:	26568IM_OO_A004CA_01.png
Views:	102
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	402270  
Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 AM
jkl
jkl is on a distinguished road
That Damasko DC86 is awesome! I need to look into that model.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 AM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
Good choices I really like both those watches and probably the Chopard the most.

Hirsch are probably the most popular watch bands for what you want to do. Look at the last few pages of this site.

http://www.hirschstraps.com

They make a carbon stamped band with red stitching, a sail cloth band with red stitching a thicker leather band with red stitching that goes with larger watches and also a alligator band with red stitching I don't personally like the colored stitching on formal croc or alligator straps. They also make red rubber straps.

NATO bands are also very popular. I think they belong on low to mid price watches and not watches like Chopard or AP but they are very cheap, very comfortable and very light weight.

http://natostrapsco.com

That Chopard is not that big or thick so I think a lot of different straps would work. On my more colorful watches I have a few different straps that I change out on occasion.

This is one of my favorite dive watches and I alternate these straps

One thing to note is that Chopard has a curved band where it meets the watch. You don"t have to get a band that does that but you can. Hirsch has bands that will closely match that but then you are limited in the styles and colors. I also have to add that I think the band on that Chopard in the pic is going to look the best. I think it goes perfect with the watch but it is your watch and it is not hard or that expensive to play with a few bands.

Last edited by JamesKen; 09-20-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:04 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Here is my PAM 423. I like the way the polished stainless case matches up with the Porsche lettering. You could easily get a custom strap with contrasting red to match your color. Panerai is a nice casual, larger Swiss brand that is well suited to a nice casual drive. Their various styles come in 47, 44, and 42 mm case width, and they have lots that are in the $5-$10K price range. If you decide to buy via the gray market, shoot me a PM. I have been collecting, buying and trading swiss watches for many years, and can refer you to some reputable Sellers. I do not deal in them myself, but know many who are legit and know of many who are not.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 09-20-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
^^^Very cool pics and nice Pan!

Old 09-20-2014, 05:53 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
Yes that is a real nice watch. The black dial and brown band remind me a little of the vintage WW2 pilot watches. Sort of modern Panerai take on them.

I also really like the color on the hands and numbers with that band.

I have to many watches but the more I look at that one the more I like it.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
^^^Very cool pics and nice Pan!

Originally Posted by JamesKen
Yes that is a real nice watch. The black dial and brown band remind me a little of the vintage WW2 pilot watches. Sort of modern Panerai take on them.

I also really like the color on the hands and numbers with that band.

I have to many watches but the more I look at that one the more I like it.
Thanks guys.

Jamesken, there is another model almost identical to the 423, the 422, exactly the same, except it has the three day power reserve indicator on the back, visible through the exhibition case back, giving the 422 dial a less cluttered look. But I prefer a front power reserve. Whatever works, however. Same watch other than that. 422 picture below. The 423 has the same exhibition caseback. These two watches also have a nifty crown position feature that let's you change the hour setting without moving the minute hand, for going between time zones.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 09-20-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks, I think I like yours better. What I like about Pan's is they are different and the unusual location of the power reserve on your watch adds to that.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice

Ulysse Nardin maxi Marine Chrono....$4700 or so...can get with Black band or how you like...

Old 09-21-2014, 02:45 PM
CptSlow is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
...the Omega's are also nice but I don't believe in the same category as rolex or brietling.
A very odd thing to say. I would generally categorize Brietling as the "odd man out" of those three, not Omega.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Targa2015 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CptSlow
A very odd thing to say. I would generally categorize Brietling as the "odd man out" of those three, not Omega.
Lots of great choices and as a collector I would like to echo that the Daytona is as pure of a racing watch inspired design as you will find. The value of a watch is certainly based on the insides but to most people spending 10k or more they want to know that there is a market for the watch when they are ready to sell or trade up. Only two brands really have that demand....Rolex and Patek. Every other watch with movements as cheap as swatch or as expensive as IWC, Ulysse Nardin or Glashutte , all fabulous watches sink like a rock. With that said if you want a fashion watch in red then I tend to agree with the swatch or what floats your boat but don't spend more than 5k. Great used Rolex watches can be had for 7k and they will last forever. Are they the best....who can decide. I think a good place to start is Tourneau or a local dealer. Be careful of ebay or pawnshops. Lots of fakes. After the 5-7 yr mark most Rolex watches hold or gain value. From a cool factor...has red second hand, I just picked up this 1970 Accutron Spaceview. Runs on a tuning fork and was on the first few space missions including the moon as a instrument. Made before Quartz watches existed. Hums to F sharp when against the ear.

Name:	image-4068020071.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	402424   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-282343151.jpg
Views:	53
ID:	402425   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-754076331.jpg
Views:	62
ID:	402431  

Last edited by Targa2015; 09-21-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:06 PM
CptSlow is on a distinguished road
I've had great luck with a small shop in California. I've purchased a few, as have a few of my friends from Topper Jewelers in Burlingame, CA. I am in no way affiliated, I've simply had several exceptional experiences with a very knowledgeable dealer.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Targa2015
I just picked up this 1970 Accutron Spaceview. Runs on a tuning fork and was on the first few space missions including the moon as a instrument. Made before Quartz watches existed. Hums to F sharp when against the ear.
My interest in watches started in high school when my Dad handed me down his Accutron. I spent twice my net worth on two occasion getting it fixed so I don't have the fondest memories of that watch. To bad because it was a pretty cool watch.

I already said I am not a fan of Rolexes except the Daytona and Sea Dweller but I have a Yacht Master that was the first high end watch I ever bought and it is easily worth twice what I paid for it.

I might look to pick up one more watch but I have been really saving up mentally to pick up my first Patek some day.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
The Tag F1 I have is black/red. Was only about $800 eight years ago. Would go great with a GR 991

Name:	f1 tag.png
Views:	60
Size:	906.4 KB
ID:	402439  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need help with a watch