View Poll Results: Does your 911 stumble / hesitate
Yes - Stumbles / Hesitates (Appeared after xxxx miles)
18.37%
Yes - Stumbles / Hesitates (Started at delivery (0 miles))
13.27%
No - Smooth as silk (What stumble?)
68.37%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Stumble Poll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by beemer guy
I wonder if this helps the argument that there's something wrong that needs to be fixed, or if it solidifies Porsche's response that "they all do that".
It does. This clearly shows (and I can personally attest) that not every car has this issue. I've never had any hesitation issues.

Originally Posted by stealthboy
I wonder if a dyno run would show this? Might be sensitive enough.
If the problem is a legitimate loss in power, then a dyno graph would clearly show a loss in power to the wheels. That could help, but will a difficult/costly request for all owners involved in this.

Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Well if the poll results continue this way it will be good for the first person who takes it to arbitration. The majority of people say there is no hesitation. That will counter the argument that they designed it this way. And again, remember that it doesn't matter if they say that because the hesitation is a safety issue. When it bucks, you feel like it's loosing power and it may be putting you in a dangerous position.
Originally Posted by naples991
More data would help. Maybe create an Excel spreadsheet with columns named like this where people could add their own rows to in Google docs or some method similar?
The safety issue will definitely be the strongest argument for forcing Porsche to address this problem. Couple that with naples' suggested google doc, and you guys can approach a class action attorney and get the ball rolling. Hell, I'd take this case.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:05 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Couple that with naples' suggested google doc, and you guys can approach a class action attorney and get the ball rolling. Hell, I'd take this case.
Well, it looks like we have (pro bono) legal representation from Christophosphorus when the time comes.

Christophosphorus!! Christophosphorus!! Christophosphorus!!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dux
Well, it looks like we have (pro bono) legal representation from Christophosphorus when the time comes.

Christophosphorus!! Christophosphorus!! Christophosphorus!!
Pro bono?!

http://www.gifday.com/wp-content/upl...ationthing.gif

Old 09-24-2014, 12:43 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, but the first thing I wanted to establish was whether they "all do it".

Now that it's become painfully apparent that it's NOT normal and that we are the minority, we can drill down on specifics such as build dates, etc.

But the first step is to establish a large, credible pool of "victims" in order to eliminate all the nonsense that we've been individually fed.
I plan on waiting a few days to see where these numbers go, as the poll hasn't even been up for 24 hrs.

For the folks that have not been following this insanity for the past year, here is a high-level summary of what people have attempted after being summarily dismissed;
- Cars affected range from 2012 - 2014 (incl X51 Powerkit)
- The owners affected have experimented with numerous grades / brands of fuel in an effort to eliminate the issue.
- Several people have also tried additives and cleaners.
- Weather conditions (hot / cold) have made no difference.
- Sports and Sports+ was explored with no success.
- PSE or without also made no difference.

As far as I know, not a soul is asking for a buyback (yet) or looking for the predictable "inconvenience" check in the mail. Nope - we simply asked them to fix the problem which was apparently too much to ask.

Congrats - now you have at least a dozen Nick Murray's.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux

As far as I know, not a soul is asking for a buyback (yet) or looking for the predictable "inconvenience" check in the mail. Nope - we simply asked them to fix the problem which was apparently too much to ask.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has filed a LL for a repair job either.

ChuckJ

Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stealthboy
You don't see it on the tach. There is nothing to video .

I guess my point wasn't to video the tack, but to somehow capture visually/audibly the event somehow. I would presume if you can feel a stumble it would be visible as well on the tach or hear it. (But I realize that may sound easier than it really is)

The problem is that without tangible "evidence" it is hard to prove what is going on

Old 09-24-2014, 02:18 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by scatkins
I guess my point wasn't to video the tack, but to somehow capture visually/audibly the event somehow. I would presume if you can feel a stumble it would be visible as well on the tach or hear it. (But I realize that may sound easier than it really is)

The problem is that without tangible "evidence" it is hard to prove what is going on
I've been starting to GoPro my drives now. We'll see if I can get a stumble big enough to show, but really it'll be difficult to capture anything on video.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:47 PM
JoeyBananas is on a distinguished road
I have no idea how these cars are built or what components they have, HOWEVER, I have experienced this in many Hondas.

Does the Porsche use a Mass Air flow sensor?
How about a. Throttle Position sensor?

Lastly, what about an idle Air control valve?

Any one of these could cause the issue. Just some food for thought and hopefully this gets resolved or it's An M4 for me

Old 09-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Capsfan
Can you describe the lag or stumble? Do the RPMs drop or do you lose power for a second? What happens during hard acceleration? Is it all gears?
It's like a quick instant of no spark

Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 PM
dux
Originally Posted by Steve997S
It's like a quick instant of no spark
Not quite.
Feels like a vacuum line or insufficient fuel getting to the engine, resulting in a shudder during moderate acceleration and a tugging sensation while cruising.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:41 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by btraer
I haven't had a Porsche in over 20 years so I just thought it was normal. Makes the new Corvette Z06 coming out next year look more attractive.
Right. Because a Chevrolet won't give you any issues.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Smooth as silk after breakin. Very coarse and vibey during breakin !

Makes me wonder how many of the engine stumble clan gunned it from the get go instead of breaking it in as per manual ? (please don't shoot me chuck !)

Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bccars
Smooth as silk after breakin. Very coarse and vibey during breakin !

Makes me wonder how many of the engine stumble clan gunned it from the get go instead of breaking it in as per manual ? (please don't shoot me chuck !)
I believe we've heard from both camps so that's not the common denominator.

In my case, I followed the recommended Porsche break-in procedures. Please don't make this turn into one of those threads again... :roll eyes: In fact, in my case, my car was smoother during break-in and now has gotten worse after time goes by.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:22 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
We also have to remember that the injection system operates at a very lean mixture and 2 to 3 squirts each cycle for every firing. If it gets too lean (like missing one of the squirts) I suspect it would not fire and thus provide a stumble / jerk. These are controlled by the operating software and software gets corrupted which is one reason why I'm suggesting someone might want to try to re-load the initial software.

ChuckJ

Old 09-25-2014, 07:34 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Mine only seems to stumble when it's cold. Also only occurs if you drive normal, if you floor it (not totally) the stumble is not there. Also does not stumble after hot. My 2010 Cayman S had the stumble all the time, part of the reason I traded it in. It was very annoying on the CS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Stumble Poll