Targa 4S vs Targa GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:45 PM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
Targa 4S vs Targa GTS

I am thinking about getting a 911 Targa. Is there much difference in the drive between the 911 Targa 4S and the 911 Targa GTS other then the 0-60mph difference of only 0.1 second? I don't think I like the GTS interior as well and I don't think I could find an available allocation to build one. My daily driver is a PTTS so neither one is as quick but I am looking for something even more fun.
Also does anyone know the number of Targa GTS that are being made ? I hear it's a very limited edition.

Last edited by georgemaser; 05-07-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:33 PM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
Does anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
I know many have jumped on the GTS bandwagon, but I am just not sure you are getting that much more. The performance on the GTS does not instill a wow factor and the other stuff can be added. I would stay with the S if that makes you happy. Sorry, no idea on the build numbers

Old 05-09-2015, 07:19 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
You need to drive a car with the powerkit for sure before you decide. The difference is more significant than the move from a non S to an S. In this case you can't rely on just the numbers. The interior can be ordered without the alacantara if that's what you dislike. There is also the 50th anniversary edition that has the powerkit as well.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:04 AM
onedae is on a distinguished road
Haven't driven a Targa but was deciding between a regular S and GTS. Drove them both and the difference is hardly noticeable - maybe at very high RPM. If you are a track driver then go for the GTS. But for regular use, the regular Targa is more than fine. I ordered my 15 C2S coupe with sport chrono, sport exhaust and a manual - same as my 13 that is coming off lease. I am not a fan of the Alcantara nor do I like the lower painted front spoiler which will inevitably get scraped with street use. Drive them both and then decide - get what makes you smile more.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
Originally Posted by White Rock
You need to drive a car with the powerkit for sure before you decide. The difference is more significant than the move from a non S to an S. In this case you can't rely on just the numbers. The interior can be ordered without the alacantara if that's what you dislike. There is also the 50th anniversary edition that has the powerkit as well.
Have to agree with onedae on trying, and picking which one you like. the jump from a non S to a S is much more significant than the S to GTS. After driving all three, there is such a minimal difference with the power kit but a fairly large difference between the non s and S. The numbers even show this on almost all the comparison, but you do need to try them out and you decide.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:35 PM
fergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nice
I haven't driven a Targa GTS but have had my Targa 4S for 9 months and LOVE everything about it. I won't go for the GTS next time around though, mostly b/c I also have a GT3 so wouldn't need the Targa GTS to fill any performance void. I had a Panny 4S and a GTS and the GTS was noticeably quicker, and the sound and throttle blips were phenomenal. Not sure if that's the case with the Targa GTS though. I think it's more of a nuanced difference.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure why anyone would by a regular S with the GTS available, unless you just can't find a GTS you like, or can't get an allocation to order one. I admit, I am biased toward the GTS having owned a 997.2 GTS and now my 991 GTS. But with the bundled pricing, and the more limited number of GTS cars available, it just seems the move to make. I can tell you for a fact, at least in my case, I got about $10,000 more on trade for my 997.2 GTS then I would have for a comparably equipped Carrera S.

Last edited by GS997S; 05-12-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:55 PM
bernpep is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GS997S
Not sure why anyone would by a regular S with the GTS available, unless you just can't find a GTS you like, or can't get an allocation to order one. I admit, I am biased toward the GTS having owned a 997.2 GTS and now my 991 GTS. But with the bundled pricing, and the more limited number of GTS cars available, it just seems the move to make. I can tell you for a fact, at least in my case, I got about $10,000 more on trade for my 997.2 GTS then I would have for a comparably equipped Carrera S.
Yes, but comparably equipped it costs 10,000 more to begin with

Old 05-12-2015, 02:05 PM
bernpep is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fergie
I haven't driven a Targa GTS but have had my Targa 4S for 9 months and LOVE everything about it. I won't go for the GTS next time around though, mostly b/c I also have a GT3 so wouldn't need the Targa GTS to fill any performance void. I had a Panny 4S and a GTS and the GTS was noticeably quicker, and the sound and throttle blips were phenomenal. Not sure if that's the case with the Targa GTS though. I think it's more of a nuanced difference.
You have a stunning car. I am building a similiar one. Configured an S & a GTS. I need to have the ventilated seats in an open top so ended up deleting the alcantara interior. Cost for S around 140,000 & GTS -150,000with same equipment. Performance on GTS is one tenth of a second faster to 60.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bernpep
Yes, but comparably equipped it costs 10,000 more to begin with
Comparably equipped the GTS cost $10,000 more to begin with? Are you including the power kit engine, forged center lock Turbo wheels, black headlights, and the other GTS bits, in the "comparable comparison"?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:03 PM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
I think if you like the racing elements on the GTS (black rims, headlights) then it's a no brainer. One important thing to add is Carmine Red which is only available on the GTS looks stunning in person IMO.

However, if you don't dig the sporty elements or the carmine, then the vanilla targa probably fits your bill.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:48 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I'm very interested to see what becomes of the GTS when the 991.2 comes out later this fall. Will there be an updated GTS?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:06 AM
I drove the Targa GTS yesterday. As compared to the targa 4S there is not much difference in acceleration but it felt somewhat better , slightly more visceral. It still, though, seemed slow compared to my PTTS. I also drove the
911 turboS great torque, fair exhaust sound but not as good as the GTS, of course. It reminded me a lot of my PTTS. I am not sure which way to go now, Targa GTS or 911 turboS. I love the looks and the top of the Targa. Gives you a convertible without being as exposed as a convertible and keeps the 911 lines. I think the Targa GTS may compliment the PTTS but I am not sure if I will miss the power when I drive the targa. This should be the toughest decision anyone should aver have to make I know! Any input from anyone, please and thank you?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:44 AM
casaforte9 is on a distinguished road
I test drove a turbo and a 991 s pse back to back. IMO the 991 s felt more sportier due to pse and it was more fun to drive. The turbo felt muted and while the extra torque was great , 991 s felt more fun to drive overall

On the Targa vs convertible, multiple reviews have said that targa actually gets more windy/tubulent over 50 MPH than the convertible which has an aweosme wind deflector

I test drove the convertible and even on highway speeds, there was no wind intrusion with windows up and deflector on , my boxster S gets turbulent at highway speeds

I only drove the targa briefly at low speeds and it felt heavy but dd not get to drive the targa top down and i agree targa in the right colors ( red, silver, white, black) looks the best in the 991 lineup

Last edited by casaforte9; 05-18-2015 at 11:27 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Targa 4S vs Targa GTS