Continental DWS Tires on a 2013 911 4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:46 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by BradB
Ummm. As far as my wife knows, there are only two sets. I swear, just two, honey.
Ha ha ... your secret is safe with me

Old 01-23-2016, 10:11 PM
dassArse is on a distinguished road
Fwiw. I installed the new dws06 19 inch for the winter months and pretty good ride so far but haven't driven hard.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Many new car dealers and tire only dealers will store your off season wheels/tires for a relatively small fee. I've used the BMW, Audi and Porsche dealer for this with great success.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 AM
john45in will become famous soon enough
You can find room in your garage to stack a set of tires on top of each other. Mine take up 28"X28"X46".

Old 01-26-2016, 01:24 PM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road

I've aways wanted to get one of these. Anyone using a similar wall mounted rack?

Old 01-26-2016, 01:29 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CSK 991 C4S

I've aways wanted to get one of these. Anyone using a similar wall mounted rack?
I have it!
Holds my OEM tire/wheel set.
About 8' up the wall.
Bought used on Craigslist

Old 01-26-2016, 01:37 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I can't lift wheels over my head! I did this.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:06 PM
john45in will become famous soon enough
A very nice, tidy garage. Those stacked tires take up very little space.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:26 PM

I like that. Simple and they can be moved around for floor cleaning or even installation.

Could even make it out of a small pallet or make a small pallet to fit the tire size and add wheels.

Off to Lowes I go.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:57 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by CSK 991 C4S
I like that. Simple and they can be moved around for floor cleaning or even installation.

Could even make it out of a small pallet or make a small pallet to fit the tire size and add wheels.

Off to Lowes I go.
Thanks. Make it easy on yourself, Lowes/Home Depot sells 24" round precut plywood. 4-heavy duty castors, 16-1" bolt/nut sets. BAM!

Then you can snag a tire cozy of your liking!

Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks. Make it easy on yourself, Lowes/Home Depot sells 24" round precut plywood. 4-heavy duty castors, 16-1" bolt/nut sets. BAM!

Then you can snag a tire cozy of your liking!

Even better yet. And I love me some Bibendum.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:17 PM
cai
cai is on a distinguished road
Thanks all of you for your suggestions. I thought about the wall mounted unit until I realized that I had to lift the tires all the way up there. The plywood with casters looks like a good possibility.

cai

Old 01-27-2016, 11:42 AM
1. Temperature is EVERYTHING! You would be amazed at how any summer tire, including the MPSS I have, when it gets below 40-45 degrees. They turn into bricks.

2. No, they will not function any way near their potential. Cornering grip gets awful. I'm not talking about race track grip, I am talking about regular street cornering. Braking is also negatively affected. You will slide easily.

Yes, you can be very careful, super diligent and get by. BUT you never know when something is going to bite you. Accidents happen and you will have less chance of avoiding them. Your piloting a $100k car, remember. I've done it. But I now have winter tires and it is night and day. And this is just for lower temps. I avoid ice and snow because I want to be nice to my car. But I can get out in it if I want to.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:26 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Agree, I have a set of Nokian winter tires.
My Summer Falkens are like hard plastic below 40*
Driving with the summer set below 40* is just too darn scary, borderline stupid.
My brother lived in Stuttgart for 3 years, I think it was a Law that you had to switch in the winter.
So much more enjoyable and confident driving with the proper equipment...just sayin...

Old 01-30-2016, 09:02 AM
cai
cai is on a distinguished road
Thank You For Your Help

I want to thank all of you who took the time and effort to answer my questions and offer me some guidance on this winter tire issue.

I ordered on Thursday a set of Porsche approved Continental winter tires with 19" rims from TireRack. The tires arrived yesterday and were quickly mounted on the car.

Two last question; when I had the summer tires on the car, I noticed that the ABS assist was coming on under circumstances that, in my opinion, were not warranted. That is: not going very fast, dry pavement, and not making a very dramatic stop. From my experience other cars would not have had the ABS come on under these conditions.

1- Is this part of the summer vs winter tire performance difference?

2- Am I correct in assuming that the tires were not gripping very well and that that is what made the ABS interfere?

Again, thank you for your great assistance.

cai

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Continental DWS Tires on a 2013 911 4S