Opticoat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 06:53 AM
P-car Fan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MrPorsche
It covered swirls, then it showed them. It's expensive and temporary. It highlights microscopic chips. What's not to understand? Sure, application is also a big gripe. Your mileage will vary.
I'm not driving to Florida so some guy can swirl my car some more.
I swear I've heard over a hundred times that they can remove a swirl, and when I take them up on it I'm disappointed. I've been in the car paint business for over 15 years.
I'm actually in CO, but I'm sure I'd find swirls on all his work after a few months on a daily driver. It's all in how you perceive reflected light. I can also pick out defects in OEM paint of cars I've had over the years like dust that settled in the paint and they didn't sand it out. I can often pick out a car that has had some bodywork done.
I find swirls on nearly all Porsche factory cars on the showroom floor kept indoors just from them hand washing and drying.
Even if your detailer is as good as you say he is, more than likely OP will get disappointed.
Again, your issue is user error, not the coating.
And pretty much ALL cars on every showroom floor have Clear coat defects and need correction, that's why the best detailers have new car preps and correct the finish prior to PPF and/or Coating applications.
And again, there are plenty of outstanding detailers out there that can complete this kind of work flawlessly, even on black cars; just maybe not in Colorado 😂

Old 03-08-2017, 09:17 AM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
I've never met one. I've only met very confident people that disappoint.
Again the issues with the coating: it doesn't last, it highlights chips, and it's expensive.
I might pay $300 for a fancy longer than wax "coating", but I wouldn't pay $800-1000 again.

If this stuff did work and truly last I'd pay $800 to do my rims!

Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM
P-car Fan is on a distinguished road
I've never met one. I've only met very confident people that disappoint.
Again the issues with my particular experience with a subpar coating install: it doesn't last, it highlights chips, and it's expensive.
I might pay $300 for a fancy longer than wax "coating", but I wouldn't pay $800-1000 again.

If this stuff did work and truly last I'd pay $800 to do my rims!
There you go fixed it for you 😉

Old 03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911BOY
People that have used it think its great. Sounds like really expensive wax treatment to me. I gather it "bonds" to the surface but not sure how it protects any better than a good wax. I love the process of detailing and waxing so not for me. Same with wrapping. I cant get my head around waxing plastic. Might get bumper done.
Most wax jobs look diminished after the first rain, and pretty much gone by the next car wash even using auto soaps designed not to strip the wax. Wax doesn't "cure" in the sense that the opticoat style will.

The coating type in question is tougher and lasts longer. I think 7 years is a sham, but it is clearly a better product than a wax. Once cured on the applied car it looks great, too much in a chip or a crack and it's hazy white. He showed me some dried product on the bottle, and it isn't coming off without mechanically removing it with a buffer. It is tough.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:00 AM
911BOY is on a distinguished road
Most wax jobs look diminished after the first rain, and pretty much gone by the next car wash even using auto soaps designed not to strip the wax. Wax doesn't "cure" in the sense that the opticoat style will.

The coating type in question is tougher and lasts longer. I think 7 years is a sham, but it is clearly a better product than a wax. Once cured on the applied car it looks great, too much in a chip or a crack and it's hazy white. He showed me some dried product on the bottle, and it isn't coming off without mechanically removing it with a buffer. It is tough.
Got my car in November and its still beading water like crazy and thats after a few hand washings and countless no touch powerwashes (to get salt etc off). Thats just from delivery prep wax and not even the waxes that I'm going to use when it gets warmer. I'm sure most that use OPticoat think its great but I just can't understand it . 7 years is a little silly for something that you can't see isnt it? To each his own.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:02 AM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911BOY
Got my car in November and its still beading water like crazy and thats after a few hand washings and countless no touch powerwashes (to get salt etc off). Thats just from delivery prep wax and not even the waxes that I'm going to use when it gets warmer. I'm sure most that use OPticoat think its great but I just can't understand it . 7 years is a little silly for something that you can't see isnt it? To each his own.
As always, my concern is the guy who applies the stuff. Nothing like taking your new 911 to a shop, they burn the paint, try and fix it and in the end they offer to have the car repainted. Like somehow that will put me back where I was yesterday before they touched the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.