Owners of 991's to Opine: is the pcar too big

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:42 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dennis C
That's interesting. Did the interior dimensions change from the 991.1 cars to the 991.2 cars? I thought they were identical.

FWIW, I'm 6'4" and I fit comfortably in the 991.1.
I think they made the steering wheel smaller.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:48 AM
Davel is an unknown quantity at this point
i like the extra room, in the cayman i was always wanting a bit more room to move the seat back further, recline further, more shoulder room, and just more storage room inside the car is nice...

Old 08-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Davel
i like the extra room, in the cayman i was always wanting a bit more room to move the seat back further, recline further, more shoulder room, and just more storage room inside the car is nice...
I felt much the same way when I had my 981 Boxster S.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
The extra space volume of the 911 is definitely a plus for audio performance, although my Spyder is my first Porsche with the Burmester option. I found the firewall directly behind the seats on a 987/981 something to get used to as it can give you a cramped feeling comparatively. More in the Boxster than Cayman. On the other hand the motor is so close to the driver the aural symphony is astonishing, especially from the 3.8 flat 6 in the Spyder. Top up or down it's sensational to hear all the motor sounds, not just exhaust. Huge difference over the 911 with the motor so much further away from your ears. Storage space wise I think it's a trade off. I prefer the 2 enclosed compartments and the easier hatch/boot access versus squeezing things between the tilted seat and door frame. Plus what you put in the back is shielded from view, more so in the Boxster than Cayman.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:45 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I think the layout of the 991, and the size, for me is perfect. I had 2 997's and the interior I found to be pretty Spartan, simple. Size-wise I think they have it right.

I would bet the 992 may get some engine movement relative to rear axle, maybe some slight tweaks to wheelbase or track, but I doubt any huge changes. After all, the 911 is an evolutionary vehicle from model to model.

When I had the Panny turbo, I loved the engine, but it just was too big for me. And on the flip size the Boxster/Cayman terribly need an increase in interior room. At 6'3"/220 lb they just aren't doable.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Lol, Kinda like the appeal of a woman with a large booty.. Everyone has a slightly different preference..

Old 09-03-2017, 05:58 PM
ronglos is an unknown quantity at this point
I was ready to say when they call it a Panamera. Should have been obvious to everyone.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:24 AM
squiddie is on a distinguished road
I won't object to lengthening the wheelbase, assuming it isn't reflected in outer dimensions as far as things with weight are concerned.

Real dimension enlargement also does not have to impact overall car feel. Adding a bunch of bubbles with plastic outside and nothing heavy inside won't change the feel of the car. If there is weight on the outsides then it still matters how high up it is. For example, the impact bars (the metal things behind the plastic bumper covers) can be extended in and out as they please as far as I am concerned.

Or in other words, the dimensions that matter to me aren't drawn in the outside plastic, they are drawn by weight placement.

The Panamera on the other hand is impressively big

Old 09-04-2017, 07:28 AM
squiddie is on a distinguished road
The Porsche mid-engine cars don't only lack a back seat, they also lack having just a shelf behind the seats. Such a shelf is very nice to have both from feeling just a bit more specious (it looks like the seat back isn't the end of the cabin). And all the stuff that piles up on the passenger seat can be dumped on the shelf when an actual passenger shows up.

Audio-wise, you can also put regular audio shelf cabinets on the back seat and just forget about the stupid game of getting good sound out of minimal cavities in the trims (still can do front tweeter placement).

Old 09-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by squiddie
The Porsche mid-engine cars don't only lack a back seat, they also lack having just a shelf behind the seats. Such a shelf is very nice to have both from feeling just a bit more specious (it looks like the seat back isn't the end of the cabin). And all the stuff that piles up on the passenger seat can be dumped on the shelf when an actual passenger shows up.
All true, but I would add that the combination of the frunk and trunk in the Boxster provide surprisingly ample storage space.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:52 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Not too big, but too big for me.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:09 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by acf
Not too big, but too big for me.
I like this post; 992 size TBD ;-)

Old 09-12-2017, 02:07 PM
sladha is an unknown quantity at this point
These cars need to evolve. I don't think the 991 has gotten too big. It's the smallest in my garage; parked next to the other cars gives some perspective, I think it's just right.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:42 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I see a lot of Shelby GT350's at the track so I decided to test drive one. HOLY COW! Talk about BIG! Makes the 991 feel quite diminutive!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
I hope they keep it the same size, but visually slim it down by taking out some of the rear deck height. But the spy shots would lead me to believe this won't happen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.