6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991-145/)
-   -   Cabriolet Cleaning Applicator (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/431909-cabriolet-cleaning-applicator.html)

kiddoutlaw 06-08-2019 09:05 AM

Cabriolet Cleaning Applicator

I've seen may posts on products to clean your Cabriolet like Porsche Cleaners to RAGGTOP to 303 to Meguiars.

Though the question is what type of applicator (Brand) do you use or recommend?

Brush (Nylon or Horsehair)
Sponge
Microfiber (Sponge or Mitt)

Thanks

Dennis C 06-08-2019 09:29 PM

I use Raggtopp with a horsehair brush.

kiddoutlaw 06-09-2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis C (Post 4785850)
I use Raggtopp with a horsehair brush.

Thanks!!!!

neil.schneider 06-12-2019 04:01 PM

Me too. Raggtopp and horse hair brush.

Bob Z. 06-16-2019 09:31 PM

A brush will not provide the same coverage as spraying; however, if you cannot spray you can use a high quality roller and brush for the edges.

neil.schneider 06-17-2019 08:39 PM

Brush is for the cleaning not the application.

Bob Z. 06-20-2019 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by neil.schneider (Post 4787044)
Brush is for the cleaning not the application.

I beg to differ, but as I said, spraying is recommended.

1BlinkGone 07-06-2019 12:02 AM

Props for PROTEX

I just used the PROTEX line of products on my friend & client's 2002 M3 Cabriolet canvas top earlier this week. I did quite a bit of research before committing to go this direction.

For me, and it's just my opinion, I didn't want to deal with some of the aspects of many of the waterproofing treatments available regarding fumes/volatility/health risks (ie lungs), & I didn't want aerosols or sprays whatsoever for control of the product applied to keep it off the paint; and also am picky about just how long the product lasts. So anyway after much research & reading I decided to present my client with Protex as the way to go and he agreed.

Now, we haven't had the car out in the weather yet, but I can tell you that all three stages were easy to work with, and just use some common sense; this was a first time project for me with a Cabrio re freshening. It turned out wonderful. I used a German "colourlock" brush on the canvas for the cleaning stage, a microfiber 6" roller on the large surfaces for the dye and waterproofing stages; and followed-up on corners, seams, etc with a quality paintbrush.

There were a few little areas on the fabric that still look "worn or burnished" (a few small pea-sized spots from vibration/chafing) and there were a few small uneven spots (2nd stage, the re-dye) that I can tell but depending on how the light hits it you either see it or you don't (and there are intrinsic shadows anyways with how the canvas slightly ripples or puckers at certain stress/stretch points) I'd buy this product set again without hesitation, based on the way its applied. There are many "6-month" products out there that don't last close to their claims.

My client's car is a weekend "fun car" that is garaged out of the sun and weather, which will help maximize the lifespan of the product.

I did get the product via Amazon Prime.