993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

Garrett GT28 turbo for 993 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks...

I feel that exact way. Akram is an excellent technician. Graduated top in his class at Porsche Tecnician Apprenticeship program with a slew of great work for a resume behind him. Todd... Just plain knows the recipes for these things. I just hope it is fast. I am so used to the speed of it now. LS2/3 vettes,some vipers, new camaros with blowers, Typical stuff on the streets... I beat those pretty good. Just want to blast them away.

Still... Any idea what 550 whp is capable of in numbers? Todd seems to say 10.70's-low 11's in the quarter. I just wonder if anyone here has had experience with timing a 993 TT with this power level.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:31 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
So the decision has been made (by Todd K.) The car will be outfitted with some K24-20g turbochargers, all appropriate fuel mods, and GT2 eve cams. Along with all new valves and springs. Sound like a plan fellow 6 speeders? Any experience with these 20g units?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
The car should be pretty fast, even my 996tt with baby k24's and flash went 11.7 at only 400awhp. You'll be happy as you have great people helping you.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
your car is going to be awesome but i would put in an aux oil cooler .. it'll run hot with all that power.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:14 PM
oil cooler

it has one already

Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 PM
So guys... Updating. Today I sighed a bit. But I am going to trust the Porsche Gods that have my engine out as we speak... Todd said that the best thing I should do (unless I want to build a "Big Bird II" is go with a K16/16g and all appropriate goodies. Should be over 500 whp, Thoughts please...

Anyone have good K24 cores for sale cheap?

Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by carmstrongLS1
So guys... Updating. Today I sighed a bit. But I am going to trust the Porsche Gods that have my engine out as we speak... Todd said that the best thing I should do (unless I want to build a "Big Bird II" is go with a K16/16g and all appropriate goodies. Should be over 500 whp, Thoughts please...

Anyone have good K24 cores for sale cheap?
Todd gives good advice. The 16's will spool fast and your motor will handle the boost.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:09 PM
I trust him...

I really trust him. I just looked for something to build on to. Avoiding catastrophic failure at all costs is a beautiful thing though. I am going to take the approach of enjoying this setup. I can dress the car up with three piece wheels, interior from Marcus Buehler or FVD and such. While I am enjoying it I will go about beginning a ground up, Slowly roasted to perfection 993 TT engine out of the car. Who knows. That might help me change my mind up on which car I would put the motor in. (hmmmm... late 80's cabriolet or Targa??? )

I will say these guys are awesome, Both of them. Instead of looking for a buck they are more interested in the best way to put their signature on something. Not letting me make my ammeter mistake of exploding a near irreplaceable motor was the most honest thing they could have done. I am simply not ready for a 50K bottom end build with "one off" fabricated top end plumbing. Maybe its best for the 993 to stay so close to the way it left the factory

Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
My 993t ran over a 132 quarter mile trap with k24/T04E46 hybrids, 3.8, twin plugs, evo cam with mechanical lifters that Todd did. It had a k16/24 hybrid setup that trapped 120 or so before that iirc. If you could do rods that would buy you some security for more power. I'm going back to Alpha 28 turbos for earlier spool at the track.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Acropora
My 993t ran over a 132 quarter mile trap with k24/T04E46 hybrids, 3.8, twin plugs, evo cam with mechanical lifters that Todd did. It had a k16/24 hybrid setup that trapped 120 or so before that iirc. If you could do rods that would buy you some security for more power. I'm going back to Alpha 28 turbos for earlier spool at the track.
Yes I wish it was in my budget to do the entire bottom end right now. Since I am never satisfied with anything I am going to begin an entire motor build with a fresh motor while it is out of the car. Go crazy with it. Maybe put it into an older 911 or even 930. I spoke with Todd a few times today and he seems to think what we are doing will be rather well rounded for street driving and a bit of track time. with the shorter gear ratios and such we should have a pretty quick street car. I just want to roll away from those ever so sarcastic C6 ZO6 drivers. That, a gallardo or two and we should be happy for a while.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:34 AM
K24madness is on a distinguished road
Stay away from the SCARGO hard pipes! They fit like **** and leak. I know from first hand experance.

The factory GT28's sizing does not work well with the 993 motor, The 2860 is to small and the 2871 is to big of a compressor for the turbine. TIAL has the perfect application by fitting a 68mm billet compressor to a GT28 frame and TIAL hot housing. This makes it a bolt on situation. I have installed and driven K16/16g, K24/18g, GT3071, GT3076, GT2860 & Tial GT2868. Of them all Tials are the best compromise between spool and top end power.

Protomotive is without a doubt the best choice for tuning any of the above.

Last edited by K24madness; 07-12-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by K24madness
Stay away from the SCARGO hard pipes! They fit like **** and leak. I know from first hand experance.

The factory GT28's sizing does not work well with the 993 motor, The 2860 is to small and the 2871 is to big or a compressor for the turbine. TIAL has the perfect application by fitting a 68mm billet compressor to a GT28 frame and TIAL hot housing. This makes it a bolt on situation. I have installed and driven K16/16g, K24/18g, GT3071, GT3076, GT2860 & Tial GT2868. Of them all Tials are the best compromise between spool and top end power.

Protomotive is without a doubt the best choice for tuning any of the above.
I went K16/16g. Todd K. and Akram of Motorwerks of Houston are hard at work as we speak. My car had other things needing to be done so the budget pretty much only allowed for a certain amount on the turbos. I had headwork and camshafts as well as all of the fuel system, ignition, diverters, and some brake work done. The Garret setups were going to be another 3500 or so. Maybe later. I need to finish the projects I have already going first.

I spoke with Todd about the hardpiping and he said he does it himself. He just needs the car. So some day I am going to take the car and do all of te plumbing. Should be next phase. Already have the Bypass. That is the easy part. i will search for some good headers. Maybe B&B trifle and a good cat setup. That time it will be hard pipe action.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
K24madness is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by carmstrongLS1

I spoke with Todd about the hardpiping and he said he does it himself. He just needs the car.
The 16/16g setup is very fun. It's the best bang for the buck. I would be 100% confident having Todd do the hard pipes. The SCARGO ones are poorly designed where they meet the turbo.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah this was what Todd explained to me as well. He should be working on my car as we speak. I am so anxious. I have not seen my car since 5/6/2011... Anxious as can be. Apparently I won't get to see it until something like 9/15/2011.

My car is in houston. He is in AR... I guess the hardpiping can wait.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:02 PM
still don't have my car back yet