993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

993 turbo project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:23 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Beautiful work. As someone said it must be really satisfying. If you were my neighbor I would be over helping and picking your brain!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 AM
Brett B is on a distinguished road
Thanks again everybody for the kind words, I will try and answer all the questions in one place.

Vincent, building the jumper harness for the AEM setup was time consuming but not difficult I would say. I can go into more detail on how I did it if anybody would like. However setting up the cam/crank sensor parameters does require some in depth understanding of the AEM software and what keeps it happy. I have been tuning cars using the AEM for several years, and I have done custom setups in the past, so I’m pretty familiar with it and thankfully mine went very smoothly.

Fortunately I do not have local emissions testing here. With cats the AEM can easily be tuned to pass a tailpipe sniffer test, however it will obviously never pass an OBDII plug in scan (my car is a 95 which is not OBDII anyway).

IVVX, yes I did fab everything myself.

Sonny, those are Denso coils from a Honda CBR600 motorcycle. Their compact size makes them easy to work with, and they are great for coil on plug setups when driven by a CDI ignition box. They are designed to maintain a high secondary voltage even with very low charge times between firing (think 13,000+ rpm on a bike), so they are perfect for a waste spark setup. They can be found new or used pretty easily, often on Ebay. There are many shapes and sizes from various bikes, these are the ones I found to fit the best.

Riverflyer, great collection of cars you have there. I have one neighbor who really likes the car and comes over to check it out often. The rest of the neighbors, not so much. I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood so I suppose the amount of noise it makes doesn't go over real well, even though I try to keep it as low key as possible. I actually had a lady come out her house and yell at me one evening when pulling into the driveway of a friends house. She told me that my car needed some repair work. I would love to add a 996TT to the garage one day to have something a bit more tame/civilized, especially as the 993 gets more heavily modded.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Brett,

did you have to add a crank/flywheel trigger/sensor or can you read off the stock unit? Does the AEM allow for programmable soft/hard rev limiter increments? Is it able to run multiple channels for ignition timing and fuel metering? With your set-up I agree wholeheartedly that the wideband is a must for you. IIRC the later OBD II iterations in the 996/997 are already with 4 channels of wideband (2 pre/2 post cat) which can be read with a scanner. Great work there. Have you considered making some kind of DIY kit for others?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:10 AM
"did you have to add a crank/flywheel trigger/sensor or can you read off the stock unit?"

I am using the stock crank sensor along with the stock 58 tooth (60-2) wheel on the flywheel. I am using an add-on cam sensor mounted to the back of the driver side cam, as the OEM cam sensor resides inside the distributor, which was removed.

"Does the AEM allow for programmable soft/hard rev limiter increments?"

Yes, fuel cut RPM, ignition cut RPM, and fuel cut load (based on boost level to prevent overboosting) are all independently programmable for the primary rev limiter. The primary rev limiter is a hard cut limiter, and the stagger you use for the fuel and ignition cut rpm points makes it easy to cut ignition just before fuel to ensure safety.

There is also a programmable 2-step soft rev limiter with separate fuel and ignition RPM points that can be activated via the stock vehicle speed sensor or an external swith input. In addition to the normal 2-step there is an anti-lag feature which can be used to maintain boost between shifts, and is also extremely useful in destroying turbos quickly.

"Is it able to run multiple channels for ignition timing and fuel metering?"

There are 10 sequential injector drivers and 5 sequential ignition drivers (capable of 10 cylinders in waste spark). Each injector pulsewidth can be trimmed individually by +/- 50% per cylinder. The injector phasing is also programmable both individually by tooth firing locations, and as a group by a 3D load vs rpm map.

The ignition channels can be trimmed by +/- 50 degrees individually per cylinder. This is in addition to all of the normal fuel/ignition trims you would expect to see for startup, idle, throttle tip in, cold start, boost comp, etc. The software is free, you can download it to see everything it can do if you are interested.

http://forum.aempower.com/downloads/AEMRelease070406.EXE

"Have you considered making some kind of DIY kit for others?"

I had thought about it, but with the time involved it would not be cost effective, and I don't really see there being a whole lot of demand. For the right price though I could probably be persuaded just to help out a fellow member or two.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Man, that thing is sweet! I love where you located the turbo. Nobody in their right mind would even expect that! Nice work!

Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Mk2GTiVR6Turbo is on a distinguished road
that turbo is sick

Old 08-28-2007, 05:54 PM
dferg476 is on a distinguished road
Cool car!!! Twin Turbo sounds cool, but large single turbos are sick.

Very nicely done.

DGF

Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 PM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
very very impressive..

Old 09-07-2007, 12:27 AM
scott2055@gmail is on a distinguished road
The car sounds great!! Awesome job!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:19 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you ever get the other videos of the car edited or posted? As you already know, I'm extremely interested in your build. Just awesome!

Originally Posted by Brett B
It does sound pretty crazy. I have some other videos of it but they need to be edited a bit. I will probably get some more this weekend as well.

Thanks eclou.

I am using this turbo blanket, it works very well:

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/bolotubl.html

The CHRA is oil fed only as it is a journal bearing Garrett GT series turbo. Only the ball bearing Garrett GT series have a water jacket on the CHRA. It is this turbo:

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=GTNBB

The drivers side exhaust tip is the wastegate outlet only, the passenger side tip is the turbo outlet only.

The pictures of the wastegate position are a bit deceiving, it's actually not that close to the compressor inlet. Regardless, I used 304SS for the 4" diameter compressor inlet pipe instead of aluminum to minimize radiant heat transfer from the various exhaust components to the turbo inlet air. Thanks to the nice big intercooler (and relatively low boost), my inlet air temps at the throttle body are always very close to ambient.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
Lovely car Brett B,

I would like to know what intercooler core did you go with ? Core brand, dimensions. Who made the intercooler endtank fabrication ? Would be glad to know, because i have a 965 3.6 Turbo project in the works and have had no luck finding information for an intercooler.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Q8_TwinTurbo
Lovely car Brett B,

I would like to know what intercooler core did you go with ? Core brand, dimensions. Who made the intercooler endtank fabrication ? Would be glad to know, because i have a 965 3.6 Turbo project in the works and have had no luck finding information for an intercooler.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the kind words. I fabbed/modded the end tanks for the intercooler myself using a pair of 3" tight radius cast 90 degree bends. If I remember correctly the core size is 23.5" x 11.75" x 3". It was just a universal intercooler with short end tanks (forget the brand of the one I used) that looked like the one pictured below. It works great, my charge air temps are always very close to ambient.

I can pm you a link to a vender who may be able to get you the same one I purchased, but it will just be a universal app and will require fab work on the end tanks to have it come out like mine.

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Here are a few more pictures of the car from just before the snow hit since I haven't posted them in this thread yet.

Attached Images     
Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Last three.

Attached Images    
Old 01-24-2008, 03:41 PM
MegaLoL is on a distinguished road
Brett well done. Nice, clean and smooth

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 993 turbo project