993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

993 vs. 996... reliability, maintenance/repair costs + longevity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 PM
R1ckyB0bbyyy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by allill
993's are solid cars. At $25k, everyone should own one that can, but it takes a certain individual to own one. The interior is old school as is the technology. It doesn't feel smooth at idle and it has its qwirks that only air cooled 911's have. The water pumpers are a lot more plush with dreature comforts and for many buyers that's what they are looking for.

Now the low down. $25k isn't what you'd get a 993 for, not one that is turn key unless you are a dealer and some lazy customer walks in with a trade.

Personally, I don't care if you are trolling here or whatever, the info here is to be read. Every now and then I go over to Ferrari forums even though I know I can't afford one. I don't stroke anyone telling them I'd buy THEIR car or anything, and unless you do so here you should be ok.
Thanks for the information. I didn't want to post it because I did not feel like I needed to prove myself but just for ref. I am almost an E-5 in the Army, I am going to Penn State in the fall on full scholarship starting in the spring. 18 months before I commission/graduate I am eligable for a $25,000 personal loan through USAA. The loan is called the Cadet loan. 2% apr, deffered until I graduate. I may not be able to go shopping for one right NOW. But I do not see the hurt in soaking up as much information about as many cars as I can and it is that simple. Some pass judgement and it is rather ignorant and I can see a man in Wal-Mart jeans, a T-shirt and sneakers strolling into a Porsche dealership... some would brush him off on what he may appear to be able to afford, or the man could own a VINYARD!

The first "faster" car that I bought was a 2005 Dodge SRT-4, I bought it in fall of 2006. I started asking questions all the way back in 2004-2005. I see nothing wrong with covering every possability/angle before buying.

Now on to the 993. I do not mind a harsh ride, lack of ammenities. This is a perfect car IMO as long as it does not cost a ton of money to keep going, or repair. I plan to drive it as much as I can, and take care of it as best as I can, I just fear costly repairs or weak longevity considering $25,000 gets me a 993 or 996 with 75,000 miles on it.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Cactushead has a spectacular aura aboutCactushead has a spectacular aura about
Spend a little more and get one with lower miles that was maintained and loved and you will be set. A thorough PPI is always recommended. The reason I said go with the 95 is that they are OBD1 and have no issues with SAI passages getting clogged and tripping the CEI light which you can't pass inspection with that tripped.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Look at it this way, 993 has all the Beta testing done, 996-997 is still on going!.,cheers.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 PM
dkp993 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cactushead
Spend a little more and get one with lower miles that was maintained and loved and you will be set. A thorough PPI is always recommended. The reason I said go with the 95 is that they are OBD1 and have no issues with SAI passages getting clogged and tripping the CEI light which you can't pass inspection with that tripped.

Not completely true. 95's are just a prone to clog the SAI ports it's just that the OBD1 don't read that as a failure, but the "issue" still does exist. But as Cactushead says it is ALWAYS good it get a PPI done on any used car you are looking to buy.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
I've owned 5 porsche including a 993tt and can say 996 is the way to go without a doubt!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 PM
CupsRule is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by allill
993's are solid cars. At $25k, everyone should own one that can, but it takes a certain individual to own one. The interior is old school as is the technology. It doesn't feel smooth at idle and it has its qwirks that only air cooled 911's have. The water pumpers are a lot more plush with dreature comforts and for many buyers that's what they are looking for.

Now the low down. $25k isn't what you'd get a 993 for, not one that is turn key unless you are a dealer and some lazy customer walks in with a trade.
I have a '98 993, one of 'the' very last built, with 38k miles, and you could offer me $150k and wouldn't get it ... love that car

Yeah the interior is old school, what there is of it ... and what hoot, they do have a cassette tape holder ... and not just the interior ... how 'bout the vertical frame remaining in the door windows where they used to have vent windows.

My GT3 came sorta close but IMHO you can't beat the sound and feel of that engine. Many have ridden with me and ask for music ... I tell them this car only has one channel and you're listening to it. As testimony to the engine feel ... I had a gf a few years ago and at a certain rpm range (I think I remember it to be around 4,700 to 5,200) she would physically and visibly react as she would get extreme tingles in 3 places at once and I loved watching her try to hold on to those 3 places with 2 hands and an elbow

Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Troll or not, it's an interesting discussion.

I was recently thinking about picking up another FD RX7 and came to the conclusion that it could not offer anything a 993 can't.

The bottom line is that most 911s are totally bulletproof and hold their value once a generation or two old. At least from my experience and modified Rx7 Turbos (of any generation) are ticking time bombs just waiting for a 8-10K rebuild. POOF!

The only question in my mind now is what would I do with a 993 when I have 600HP 996 Turbo in the garage? Maybe I should get a 993 CAB?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 AM
M3 Maniac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dkp993
"My" forum after 2 posts???? Wow...
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:07 PM
detuned is on a distinguished road
I'm also wondering about this topic as I'm looking into both. I just need to find the right 993 to test drive as I have already reviewed the 996 and instantly fell in love. I just hope the 993 does the same for me, if not more than the 996 did.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Mike M. is on a distinguished road
This is a tough topic to discuss based on what your real needs are.

I think a lot of folks on this forum could probably afford either one, but chose to go with one for their own purposes.

As for owning a Porsche, be prepared that even regular maintenance is going to cost a bit more than a typical vehicle (far less than most Italians, though), whether air-cooled or water-cooled. It's just cost of ownership.

I personally got my 993 for the fact that I love the raw feel and note compared to the relatively more docile ways of the 996, and I do not drive it everyday (feels like a personal reward everytime I jump into it). Alot of the 911 quirks and features went away with the redesign on the 996 (though I still love the gt3) and were somewhat brought back with the 997. Really, you are driving a piece of history with either one, but to each their own....

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM
2003tt is on a distinguished road
My 993 is a sweet ride and offers a friendly family feel to it, while my 996TT is a lot more high-tech and impresonal.

Sounds wierd, but that's how I feel about them. Both are fine machines but with very different personailties.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:07 AM
dmw999 is on a distinguished road
I have owned both.

They are both great cars but totally different.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:49 PM
cturbo28 is on a distinguished road
I am torn between the two. 993 or 996??????

Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Cactushead has a spectacular aura aboutCactushead has a spectacular aura about
What happened to the original poster? Still here?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Frög is on a distinguished road
ok, so I have a 1999 w/ 100k miles.

To date, repair cost: $0.00
To date, Maintenance: Clutch, flywheel, brake jobs, oil changes, services.

Oh did I mention I track it and BEAT it up, EVERYDAY.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 993 vs. 996... reliability, maintenance/repair costs + longevity