993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

Brake Caliper Dragging

Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 PM
DBalsamlake is on a distinguished road
Brake Caliper Dragging

Ive noticed that when braking recently my steering wheel shakes i bit, thinking my rotors are worping, seems like it just started which is odd because I would think some worping would happen slowly over time. The changed was noticed after a 2 day 600 mile road trip. Today after a 30 minute drive after the car was parked for about 20 minutes the front right rotor was warm to the touch and i thinking im smelling a little brake smell. Any ideas, perhaps the caliper is drag, what to do? Is a caliper rebuid in order and if so, any instructions please.
thanks David

Old 07-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I would first take the wheels off the inspect the rotors and pads physically for any uneven wear and too see if your caliper is dragging. Also if they need replacing. Most rotors will be warm to the touch even after a short drive, its usually when you cant touch them you have problems. We offer a rebuild kit and anything else you might need for your brakes, for more information Click Here.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 AM
nine9three is on a distinguished road
Will you be inspecting and/or doing the work yourself? If so, can you pull the wheels and post photos of your rotors? If not, just take your car to whatever shop you work with. They'll probably want to sell you new rotors + installation.
Articles I have read by learned experts state they have never as of yet come across "warped" rotors; just uneven rotor wear and uneven buildup of brake pad material. If uneven buildup of material or wear, the rotors can be blanchard ground as long as they do not exceed min. rotor thicknesses as stated in the applicable workshop manual. Some shops may even "turn" the rotors in lieu of blanchard grinding...HTH

Last edited by nine9three; 08-03-2013 at 09:29 AM.