996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo charger upgrade, Garrett vs Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:25 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I am no wizard and do not want to appear the expert, but
the Garretts are hard to beat for their efficiency and turbo mapping.

I am quite fond of the GT Series turbos like you have and have considered those long
and hard. The S/G Evoms turbos spool like the **** and pull really well.
Get more fuel...

MK

Old 11-23-2007, 09:37 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
damn...you got something on your mind???

cause I do too man...I do too...
..............we'll talk!!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
I am no wizard and do not want to appear the expert, but
the Garretts are hard to beat for their efficiency and turbo mapping.

I am quite fond of the GT Series turbos like you have and have considered those long
and hard. The S/G Evoms turbos spool like the **** and pull really well.
Get more fuel...

MK
Marty I like the Garrett's and if had the choice (or someone made me a good deal!!) I would prefer to go with them. I really like Vivid's set up.
But now that I have asked this board and learned how some things work, seems like those of us with the K-24's converting them to hybrids seems like the next level without a huge risk, hassle, or cost.............
would like to stay around or below 600hp to play it safe at the track.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Tom,

I felt the same way about the boost gauge, but decided to try it. After using it for a week or two, I became very comfortable with it. You can set the alarm to cut back the boost if it ever reaches a pre-determined threshhold. It also continually displays boost in real time and flashes the highest boost reached on each pull for 2-3 seconds. Once you begin to use and understand it - it seems like a good tool.

Todd can also set your TB shutdown where you want it. Traditionally he moves it up to 2.2 bar or so, to get it out of the way of spikes for the real high HP cars, however, I had him set mine to 1.5 bar. You can retain the 1.3 bar TB shutdown if you would like to...

Also, when I raised this same issue with Todd, I believe he said he could tune for his K24/18G turbos without the Greddy boost controller i.e. - you can use your ECU and delete the Greddy from the mix. You would give up the ability to run higher boost with race fuel, which I wanted to do for 1/4 mile times. That's why I say you should call him - he will tailor the kit to fit your needs.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Get more fuel...

MK
Yep..soon.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:19 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Adam,

Has anyone 1/4 miled one of those SG650's or SG700's yet? How do they do against a ZC K16/24? Or an EVO700?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:22 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Not that I know of..

Old 11-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Since you already have k24s... going the k24/18g is the obvious thing to do.. and cheap in your case.... I agree with John D that you run 1 bar at the tarck and feel liek on the street run 1.2 or 1.3 bars with 100 octane...
you can not beat this deal for the money....
The one thing that strikes me odd is that no one brought up the fact that no tuners put on stock garretts( except Proto). I mean, a garrett/k24 or k16 is still a hybrid and not a garrett.... such are the turbos put on the gt700 Evoms car for example... but it is still a hybrid turbo to me and it still is NOT watercooled like full garrett turbos should be.
So, with that said... one would need a set of garrets, some external Tial WGs... custom headers, exhaust... then the issue of fuel starvation and other complications would arise...
My point is that the original qustion was a little misleading.... in my opinion... a gt28/k16 ( like on the Evoms Gt700 ) is a hybrid turbo and not a garrett turbo... same goes with the gt800 which carries the gt30/76r compressor with ta K24 hot housing.
I can also ask- What is the difference between a hybrid turbo and a garrett /kkk turbo? In my opinion a garrett compressor and a kkk hot housing is a hybrid turbo as much as a k24 housing with a 18g or 20g mitsubishi compressor.
In my opinion, you only need another 100 crank Hp and that can easily be achieved by non ball bearing turbos with great results and for cheap... and since you are alrady used to k24s lag is not an issue...
just my opinion,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 11-24-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:00 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
The new Vivid set-up looks very cool, I hope it works out well for them
as alternatives are always good. New choices, and Programming will be really
key!

MK

Old 11-24-2007, 10:50 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I may be reading between the lines here, but I think what Tom is really asking if he should go with Vivid Racing's new TT upgrade package?

I don't know a lot about this kit, but Vivid did have a post on it recently.

Tom: I think you should be asking more about the software that comes with than the turbos. You already went down the "Revo" road....

Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
since our kit was brought up, you need to look at what you get.

solution A - send in your stock turbo, have it altered, get it back. you bolt on to your stock headers, stock wastegates, etc. can you compare dyno numbers, no it is impossible since everyone uses different dynos, calibrations, gas, and tricks to make their kits have appealling numbers.

VR Solution - true bolt on ball bearing Garrett turbo, high flow custom headers to fit any Garrett turbo, custom billet aluminum oil tanks (factory dont fit), custom billet aluminum exhaust adapter so you can run whatever exhaust you like and not be forced to anything we have, and then you get all the oil lines, fittings, etc. Oh yeah, 2 44mm external wastegates with dump pipes. That is why our kit with just hardparts costs more then $6K, turbos alone retail for about $3500 with wastegates.

All I can say is look at what you are getting for product. Do you want the Rolls Royce or do you want the Chevy? Why do you buy Motons instead of JIC when JIC performs as good too, cause you want the best. If everyone followed the "norms" everyone here would have BBS, PSS9, and we could all wear matching hats

Marty is right, software is extremely important. What about product warranty, reliability, customer service... we know what that is like calling some companies.

If you are on a budget racing and want a hybrid turbo, go for it, slap a GT2 pump in there, some GT2 IC, a 5 bar, run a K24 stage 2 map or get custom tuned and go rip on 93 octane at 1.3 bar.

I do need to say that i have tremendous respect for Todd at Proto since he has helped and guided us in times of need.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Mark, Marty, DD, and Dan, thanks all good and valuable input.
I think after studying all the facts a total kit like Dans's is what I would go with if I didnt have a GT2 setup already.
but for the money I have to admit the K24/18 deal seems the most direct and cost effective, although probably not performance wise the "top of the line" still a good upgrade.
I am not looking for max engine breaking performance or even max 1/4 mile time since that is such a short burst. I need lap after lap performance for 3-4 45-60 minute runs 4-8 days a month.
I will talk to "my guy" Viper Bob since he is in Tampa and will do the work. I will ask him to touch base with Vivid and Protomotive as will I.
Thanks to all for the input it has been VERY helpful.
More to come when I get hooked up!!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:07 PM
JWC
JWC will become famous soon enough
I think you will be surprised at the performance you will receive for the buck.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
there are a couple of k24/18g 600 hp set ups in FL.... get in touch with them and drive the car... then decide...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-24-2007, 04:57 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Tom: Just go drive Wooly's car. He's got the Proto hybrids, EVO IC's, Proto software, plenum, headers/exhaust, and a Greddy BC. Very fast, very reliable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo charger upgrade, Garrett vs Hybrid?