996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just Arrived : Tilton 996TT Street Clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Nero,
I will take you on a friendly challenge... If you send me the clutch... I go 1400 miles out of the way at my cost and even rent the track for the day... to run my car just for you.... and if the product does not perform I keep it. I get it for free. If It does hold up on my car under my driving conditions.... I will buy it from you at cost...(only because I will incur out of pocket expenses).
As you know I have the fastest 1/4 non tuner Turbo and well as 60 to 130...... what other advertisement do you need.
Your clutch has to hold under extreme speed shifting as well as release at high RPMs...
I have 2 clutch companies all making promises... yet non delivered any carbon clutch to anyone that ran a 9 second run to date on a 996TT. That is why I am skeptical about ANY carbon clutch for a P car... no harm intended towards you nor Tilton.
just my opinion.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mike@usp
Ill guarantee that tilton will hold whatever 99.99% of porsches can throw at it.. I have the same clutch in my 900whp evo and beat the **** out of it w/o an issue for over 2 years.. Tilton is the absolute only clutch i would run in any High Hp car.. PERIOD..
I have a street evo too.. I ran a 10.2 full weight. on a 35r. My tuner's car put down 900+ awhp as well.. and in that one there is a Tilton... but he weighs only 2300 lbs... with that said.... clutches do not hold up because of the weight of the car.... Heck, my friend ran a 10 sec. on a honda civic with a stock clutch...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I have a street evo too.. I ran a 10.2 full weight. on a 35r. My tuner's car put down 900+ awhp as well.. and in that one there is a Tilton... but he weighs only 2300 lbs... with that said.... clutches do not hold up because of the weight of the car.... Heck, my friend ran a 10 sec. on a honda civic with a stock clutch...
markski
I concur with Markski, not only the weight of the car is an issue, also the superior traction of a rear engine car, this take a big toll on all the drivetrain components, these cars have different dinamics compared to a front engine car, it is just a different animal.,cheers.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sonny
I concur with Markski, not only the weight of the car is an issue, also the superior traction of a rear engine car, this take a big toll on all the drivetrain components, these cars have different dinamics compared to a front engine car, it is just a different animal.,cheers.
Nero's tuner is going 8.63 @ 170mph in the quarter mile in car that weighs over 3500 lbs. Granted the engine isn't in the back, but the 1.25-1.30 60's achieved without breaking parts is a result of the Tilton taking the abuse rather than the driveline. He's also one of the quickest shifters i've ever met. He daily drove his car for some time and has 50-100 9 second passes on his original clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq_9BcEdibc

The problem with the Porsches drag racing isn't so much the cars and the weight, as the setups they are trying to achieve this on. You don't run a Bias Ply tire with a radial full size front tire, and a 17" with limited sidewall isn't going to give you the same results as a slick of the proper compound. As far as I know, no one is currently using any sort of anti-lag or launch control, and few even use a 2-step. These cars are not built drag cars, yet many owners seem to be getting addicted to the need for straight line speed. It's quite astonishing to see these factors outweighted by gross horsepower, but it's also nice to know that by developing these improvements there are additional times to be found, and additional performance even for those who don't beleive. The clutch is step one, a proper wheel / tire combo will likely be the next scenerio to be addressed.

I'm not looking to have the quickest 996 out there, but I want a high horsepower street car that never breaks, and is ready to take a beating when I want to drive it hard. Thats' the reason we started this project, it's just a matter of time until it catches on (as it did in the Supra, Viper, Evo, WRX and many other communities.)

Last edited by onelove; 02-07-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I'm not sure if it will catch on like those communities. There are only so many high HP 996TT's. I'm doing GT3071's and I'm using a single disk clutch (EVO Stage 3) thats good for 750+whp or so. I know your using 24/18's which will make 600whp or so, so unless your doing 35Rs you really did go overboard (but thats never bad if you have the money to do it )

It's a VERY bad *** setup and I hope it sells well, but this isn't a huge community like the Supras, Vipers, EVO, etc. where everyone is shooting for mad power.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Former Vendor
titannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nice
I like you already Markski, heard great things about you to. Your reputation truely proceeds you and only in a good way.

The way I figure it when this clutch is 100% perfect your going to have to buy it anyways, because its the only thing that will work. This statement is the same one I made when we did the Supra tilton, and it still holds true today.

If I were to make the bet, it would be the clutch for free or twice the price of the clutch as I figure your buying it soon as it can hold up to the horsepower. Driving well a driver can break anything if they want it to, its just a matter of technique and abuse the driver puts on the car.

Nero,
I will take you on a friendly challenge... If you send me the clutch... I go 1400 miles out of the way at my cost and even rent the track for the day... to run my car just for you.... and if the product does not perform I keep it. I get it for free. If It does hold up on my car under my driving conditions.... I will buy it from you at cost...(only because I will incur out of pocket expenses).
As you know I have the fastest 1/4 non tuner Turbo and well as 60 to 130...... what other advertisement do you need.
Your clutch has to hold under extreme speed shifting as well as release at high RPMs...
I have 2 clutch companies all making promises... yet non delivered any carbon clutch to anyone that ran a 9 second run to date on a 996TT. That is why I am skeptical about ANY carbon clutch for a P car... no harm intended towards you nor Tilton.
just my opinion.
markski

Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Former Vendor
titannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nice
I agree, this is a niche product, not mass market. Never has been. Its not built as a high production product, we never expect to sell 1000 units. Its meant to be the best solution for high horsepower and street driving. It caught on in the other communities but it doesn't mean there's a million sales out there, but those that want something trick often purchase it or when they get irritated with clutch problems like what has happened on many of the cars Onelove mentioned they purchase it.

I appreciate the great comments, hope to see your GT3071's on soon and if your in TX would be great to see the car.

Originally Posted by Powell
I'm not sure if it will catch on like those communities. There are only so many high HP 996TT's. I'm doing GT3071's and I'm using a single disk clutch (EVO Stage 3) thats good for 750+whp or so. I know your using 24/18's which will make 600whp or so, so unless your doing 35Rs you really did go overboard (but thats never bad if you have the money to do it )

It's a VERY bad *** setup and I hope it sells well, but this isn't a huge community like the Supras, Vipers, EVO, etc. where everyone is shooting for mad power.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Oh I'll be there. I havent missed it since 2001 Back in the days of Dave Golder (sp?) road racing the rental car.

I hope to have my car setup by then. I don't want to be one of the slow cars on the street night LOL!!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell

I put the clutch in my car so I can abuse it. It's always nice to know that your clutch is willing to take whatever you're going to throw at it. I drive hard on the street, and enjoy drag racing as well. I'm one of those people who likes to do things once and not worry about them again in the future.

I've got K24/18Gs on the car right now because it was easy, my car is a development car so once we fab up the piping , fuel system, etc (all while offering the same to everyone else off the shelf). Once I've got the proper support modifications in place (which I'm well on my way after less than 3 months of ownership) I'll likely go with some of the Tial/stock housing turbos or we'll fabricate a nice Gt30 setup.

If you where at Texas last year you saw my previous car, which should give you an indication of the level where my 996 will eventually end up (only I intend to drive this one to the ground). I've got 3-4 people in town who have moved over to the 996 platform from Vipers, Supras, etc and they're already street racing them and "keeping up with the Jones" in less than a few months.

Last edited by onelove; 02-07-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by onelove
I put the clutch in my car so I can abuse it. It's always nice to know that your clutch is willing to take whatever you're going to throw at it. I drive hard on the street, and enjoy drag racing as well. I'm one of those people who likes to do things once and not worry about them again in the future.

I've got K24/18Gs on the car right now because it was easy, my car is a development car so once we fab up the piping , fuel system, etc (all while offering the same to everyone else off the shelf). Once I've got the proper support modifications in place (which I'm well on my way after less than 3 months of ownership) I'll likely go with some of the Tial/stock housing turbos or we'll fabricate a nice Gt30 setup.

If you where at Texas last year you saw my previous car, which should give you an indication of the level where my 996 will eventually end up (only I intend to drive this one to the ground)
Tial/Stock housing turbos are where its at Though I am a little biased about that one

I'm interested to see how our setups hold up since you and I are both probably the same on our cars. My stock clutch gave out on the 2nd 1.7x 60ft of the night. I, like you, hope to not have to take the thing out unless it's just time for a new disk, which I hope last a few years.

We just ended up putting a Mcloud (sp?) Dual Disk in my brothers Vette because we had put 5 clutches in it that kept breaking. So I do understand that sometimes it is good to overkill so it doesn't have to ever come out again.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by onelove
If you where at Texas last year you saw my previous car, which should give you an indication of the level where my 996 will eventually end up (only I intend to drive this one to the ground). I've got 3-4 people in town who have moved over to the 996 platform from Vipers, Supras, etc and they're already street racing them and "keeping up with the Jones" in less than a few months.
Around here keeping up with the Jones is pretty hard I like to call it Keeping up with the Blach's LOL!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Est8esq is infamous around these partsEst8esq is infamous around these parts
Slam?

Hey, Highhats. You going to let him get away w/ that? Sounds like you were just called out.

amazing can I ask you how much for the whole set up. thanks

Suman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Daily)
1999 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift 33" tires 4cyl (snow & sand)
2004 Beige Cayenne Turbo 520hp (wifey's whip)

Originally Posted by robmd99
Glad to see some more competition in the Porsche market. The prices are outrages but what is the saying... if you have to ask how much you can not afford it? Speaking of cost, my ATS triple was between 3500 and 4K if I remember correctly.
Good Luck
R

Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
LP Tuning is infamous around these parts
It seems like all the Supraforums boys have invaded 6-Speed. Wes, the car is looking great.

-----> Pedro TT on SF

Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 PM
mike@usp is infamous around these parts
markski
My car is 3150lbs with me in it.. Not exactly light.. Not as heavy as porsche tho either.. Never ever had an issue with the clutch holding.. Even had the car lose a wastegate line and spike 51psi and the the clutch still stuck the power to all 4 wheels..

Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 PM
mike@usp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by titannero
I like you already Markski, heard great things about you to. Your reputation truely proceeds you and only in a good way.

The way I figure it when this clutch is 100% perfect your going to have to buy it anyways, because its the only thing that will work. This statement is the same one I made when we did the Supra tilton, and it still holds true today.

If I were to make the bet, it would be the clutch for free or twice the price of the clutch as I figure your buying it soon as it can hold up to the horsepower. Driving well a driver can break anything if they want it to, its just a matter of technique and abuse the driver puts on the car.

Nero Your pretty much on point here.. Tilton has even raised their pricing on the evo clutch for whatever reason not any fault of yours and nobody in the EVO community has any choice.. It is truly the best clutch for a high hp car.. what alot of guys dont realize is not only does it Hold the power but more than anything it allows you slip it hard out of the hole w/o any issues and also it will NOT lock you out on 10k+ rpm shifts.. With my evo on 2step when it comes out of 1st gear riding the limiter at 10k all the way to the 60ft any other clutch will lock you out of 2nd unless you granny shift it.. Darin is a prime example of how you can shift a tilton clutch car!! The clutch will speak for itself when its perfected i am sure of it..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Arrived : Tilton 996TT Street Clutch