996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Water injection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned
Mitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the rough
And this will be done on the stock ECU. We will wire it in to the ECU as this system mirrors the injector's pulse width and then directly applies it to the actual water spray.

I am excited so I hope all you guys are as well.

Mitch

Old 01-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know about Porsche plugs/H20 injection... My suburban's plugs have been getting steam cleaned since 1999. Never had a plug issue.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned
Mitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the rough
I hope the start of next week. The install takes a little while as there is a bit of wiring.

I will keep everyone posted.

Mitch Mckee

Old 01-07-2008, 01:43 PM
UAE996TT is infamous around these parts
Mitch i think most of us are excited .

Old 01-07-2008, 04:34 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Ditto - subscribed.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
ace996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mitch@Vivid
I hope the start of next week. The install takes a little while as there is a bit of wiring.

I will keep everyone posted.

Mitch Mckee
Mitch,
Thank you, and great choice with the HFS5. All I would ask is that you don't go "*****-out" with pure-meth and a big nozzle to show monster numbers, that is, at least in the begining. A good 10-15% fueling replacement, an easily mixed 50/50 ratio, and have it come on EARLY to show how spool/low-end really changes....

Besides dyno, a boost graph with AFRs and, here is the clincher, "charge-temp" logs...if that's available. Showing the guys in Fla, Az, SoCal, Tx, and the like, what WI really does to intake temps will be huge.

I can see it now...
"It was 100F ambient, after boost the IATs were pushing past 150...intercoolers were of little help....then we turned on the WI and IATs dropped to just under ambient (with pure meth this happens with the procharged Vettes)."

Someone's gonna make a mint....

Be good,
TomK

Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned
We will not go with pure meth. I want to show results that are a bit more "real world." Not a lot of guys do pure meth, at least that I know.

I am big into water in water injection. I would prefer to do 20% meth and 80% water. I am not going to get into why but this is just how I prefer to do it. I know there are a lot of different thoughts and opinions out there and this is mine.

I will be sure to chart everything we do and believe me I will be sure to measure every variable I can.

Thanks,

Mitch Mckee

Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM
I am big into water in water injection. I would prefer to do 20% meth and 80% water. I am not going to get into why...
Brother, there's way to many debates and fights and wars on percentage of mix. You want to do 20/80, fine...it's not the mix...it's the fact that a tuner is going to mount a WI system, tune it properly, and DISPLAY the end result.
Even pure water will do it.

All I'd ask is that you make the mix something that won't freeze for us in the colder states once the winter comes and something easy to mix with... 3 parts water/1 part meth = 75% water/25% meth.
From Aquamist's website:
8. How do I prevent the water from freezing in winter?
Use a 20% Methanol/water mixture or use "windscreen additives" that contains Methanol (wood alcohol) or Iso-propanol (rubbing alcohol), check it before purchase. Methanol is better than other forms of alcohol and is totally compatible with Aquamist products. Avoid using Ethanol based additives such as De-natured alcohol or Methylated spirit.

9. Why is Methanol better?
Methanol itself has a octane number of 113. Not only does it improve your fuel quality, it will also give you a better intercooling effect in the inlet tract.

10. What is the maximum alcohol/ water ratio I should use?
No more than 50%, otherwise you will increase the cylinder temperature rather than reducing it. Beyond that ratio, onset of detonation is more likely. Methanol freezes at -96 deg. C, 50% mixture will stop the mixture from freezing at around -40 deg.C.

No matter, it's progress and that is for what MANY have been waiting. Again, thank you for taking the necessary steps.

Thanks again,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 01-07-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned
I will mix enough so it doesn't freeze for you guys that dont have 65-70 temps everyday.

But I will post as soon as we are getting it installed.

Mitch

Last edited by Mitch@Vivid; 01-07-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I will mix enough so it doesn't freeze for you guys that dont have 65-70 temps everyday.

Mitch
Anything happening with this, Mitch?
Thanks,
TomK

Old 01-13-2008, 06:01 AM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Wi

Mitch
Several of us anxiously waiting for the results.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:11 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Interesting...Subscribed!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Tinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Subscribed.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Banned
Hello All,

We have the HFS system here we just need to get it installed. My hope is that we can get it on the car in the next couple of days and start to post up some results.

The install of this system is a little in-depth and takes a good 6 hours or so.

I will be updating it with pics of the install as well.

Mitch

Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
UrineMachine is on a distinguished road
Been using water/meth for a bit. I use the snow performance stage 2 kit with single nozzle and a nitrous express wet kit with single fogger. I am upgrading my turbo/motor/everything, and am moving from a single point of injection to both a direct port methanol and direct port nitrous setup. Be careful when you start getting into injection points. Everyone says to inject @ the throttle body which is fine, but realize and lip/groove will accumulate your fluid - I can take a picture of my TB I removed to show you.

I think direct port is the best way to go and in a flat 6 it will definitely help you get water and meth to the cylinders directly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water injection