996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Sway Bar Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 12:23 PM
PorschExtremist is on a distinguished road
Sway Bar Question

I know this has been asked over and over. However, what is the real deal with the sway bar situation. In terms of street setup, is it better to run a rear only or both? Then same question but with the track? I am looking into the GT3 sway bars with the GT3RS drop links. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:32 PM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
I am trying the rear GT-3 bar first in an effort to dial out the oversteer. Putting in both is a sure cure, but may not be necessary, but not doing it is also probably suboptimal. I will hopefully have data in a few weeks.

Old 06-13-2004, 12:30 AM
PorschExtremist is on a distinguished road
I was thinking that both would possibly be a cure, but RUF only uses the rear and a few other companies only recommend the rear. So any definite pros and cons to this or is it just trial and error.

Old 06-13-2004, 01:15 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
"Putting in both is a sure cure"

Disagree. If you are just trying to get rid of some of the stock understeer, do the rear bar only. Upgrading the front bar can only make the understeer problem worse. There is just no way that a stiffer front bar can help reduce understeer ...

Old 06-13-2004, 01:38 AM
Limitup

Having adjustable bars means you can stiffen or soften. Depending on your whole car, tires, shocks, springs, ... you may need adjustability all the way around. Doing both gives you that so it is highly likely to be the best option (unless at max or min stiffness the bars are under or oversized). It just may not be necessary, as I am trying to discover. If not, I'll add a front.

Old 06-13-2004, 01:48 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
For sure ... if you track your car then by all means you want the best of everything. However, I have a feeling that the average reader of this board drives their car only on the street, has never taken their car to the track, and has no desire to take their car to the track. These people do not need upgraded front sway bars if they just want to reduce the stock understeer so they can whip out the back end a little every now and then while driving on uncrowded public streets (hopefully anyway!)

Old 06-13-2004, 03:50 AM
Agreed. We just need to get everyone to the track!

Old 06-13-2004, 04:20 AM
Banned
StephenTi is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by ColorChange
I am trying the rear GT-3 bar first in an effort to dial out the oversteer. Putting in both is a sure cure, but may not be necessary, but not doing it is also probably suboptimal. I will hopefully have data in a few weeks.
Being that I think your suspension is currently stock, is it biased towards oversteer? I don't think I've heard of a Turbo (996T)oversteering from the factory.... most understeer.

By using the REAR bar to dial out oversteer as you've indicated, you will actually have to go with a softer sway in the back. Is the GT-3 rear sway softer (at least on softest setting) than stock Turbo rear sway? I'd be kinda surprised if this was the case.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:23 AM
dmilzoff is on a distinguished road
I have both front and rear GT-3 bars and I can tell you it did remove the understeer. I have autocrossed the car and have done a 4 wheel drift around a corner (wow!). On the track, I can do power oversteer. Understeering is totally gone!
I went from stock to front/rear bars so I don't know the consequences of just using the rear bar only.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:28 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Stephen,
Stock car has understeer. I know Tim knows his stuff. I think it was a typo on his part.
On this OS/US note, I have found my new suspension has reduced (eliminated at least on slightly wet roads) much of the understeer and instead I have what some would call "snap over steer". The PSM catches it, but I am hoping the sways in conjunction with tailoring the compression/rebound damping settings will be able to balance it out a little.

David,
That is great to know. I am patiently waiting for my front!! What are your settings at in the front and rear???
Refresh my memory, will you be at Pocono next Friday?

Last edited by KPV; 06-13-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Ken
On the front bar - I bolted it 1 hole in from the end (soft) - outer bolt hole is softest.
On the rear bar - I bolted 3rd (of 4 bolt holes) from the end (stiff).

Old 06-13-2004, 09:47 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Thanks Dave. And Pocono?

Old 06-13-2004, 09:51 AM
I'll be there with a smile (and my son in his STI). Looking forward to seeing your new car.

PS. I have a mod which you will see at Pocono - one which I have NEVER seen on a 999TT.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:55 AM
KPV
D,
Let me guess.......a carbon fiber shark fin on the roof!!

Old 06-13-2004, 09:57 AM
No. It's more on the rear of the car - and is removable for track events.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Question