996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Repair or Replace Body Panels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM
TINS is on a distinguished road
Repair or Replace Body Panels

Incredibly a truck I was behind released some debris and in attempting to avoid being hit by the "stuff" I struck the guardrail. First the front right fender hit this caused the car to rebound and swerve left and the right rear hit the guardrail.

I'm hoping for some guidance on the best way to bring the car back or original condition. It seems clear that it would be best to replace the front fender as it is a bolt on and replacement is fairly straight forward. I've learned that replacing the rear is a BIG project. The insurance guidelines allow for 24 hours of repair time to replace the rear quarter. This includes removal of the rear glass, bumper, carpet, soundproofing, seats, and other adjacent parts.

I am I better off having the rear repaired and avoiding all the dismantling (and the potential squeaks, and rattles that may follow)? Will banging out the damage, filling where necessary and repainting (perhaps after the original paint is removed) leave me with a lousy finish? I've got great confidence in the shop that I use, however, I'm wondering if any shop can disassemble and reassemble a car in as complete a way as it was from the factory.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by TINS; 04-29-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 PM
TonyTurbo is on a distinguished road
Boston?

It's all up the the shop that works on the car, replacing panel, if done the correct way is always better, but the poeple doing the work has to know how its done correctly, sorry I have no info on Boston shops, in SoCa. could tell you a few. after owning a body shop for many years I've seen all type of repairs. Be very careful!!! GOOD LUCK

Old 04-29-2008, 10:00 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
So sorry to hear this happened to you. Replacing the rear quarter involves cutting and welding. There is a change the structural integrity will be compromised and also a chance for rust on any inside areas that cannot be primered after the welding. You are better off with repair. For bolt on panels, if beyond reasonable repair, replacement is fine.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Roadsterdoc-

Thanks for the thoughts

I was under the impression that all the dismantling is necessary in order to get to the welds that result from the repair so they can be primed, rustproofed, ect. It sounds like you are saying that even exposing that much of the car there will still be areas that remain unprotected?

I hadn't been made aware that replacing the quater would/could affect the structural rigidity.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 AM
TonyTurbo-

Thanks for the response.

As an ex-body shop owner did you find that structural rigidity was compromised in the repair of a rear quarter?

Any questions I should ask of the repair shop to determine if they are reliable (other than have you worked on these cars in the past)?

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Khash
Got you PM I don't have enough post to respond, see my comments below regarding Boston Body Shops:

I have decided to work with Dick's in Somerville MA. I met with them last week and was impressed with their facility and more importantly staff and process. My contact is Frank Cirurso he is the general manager and I found him very helpful.
My specific concern was whether to replace or repair my rear quarter panel, and I've received votes for both options. Dick's Auto Body took the approach of less evasive solutions are preferable as long as the finished product is up to standard. After examining the damage to my car it appears we will be able to repair rather than replace. It turns out replacing a quarter panel requires +/- 48 man hours, with that much time in you can imagine the amount of dis assembly and re assembly that is necessary. I'd prefer to limit the factory assembly as much as possible.
I also received great feed back for Boyle's Body Works in Arlington MA. They were referred by Boston Sportscar Company a leading independent Porsche and Ferrari shop in Weston MA.

http://www.bostonsportscar.com/Porsche%20Page.htm
http://www.dicksautobody.com/
http://www.boylesbodyworks.com/

Good luck with your repair.

Last edited by TINS; 05-04-2008 at 08:05 AM.