996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche Turbo vs. 1000HP TT Viper video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
His setup is essentially the same as mine, except he runs Mckenzie heads and stock cams, while I run ported/polished stock heads and modified cams.

Recent changes to his car that I'm aware of are duplicated Proto headers in Inconel to save weight, HTA GT35R turbos (vice the satandard GT35Rs) and lots of weight savings on the car (in the 2,600 lb range).

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-09-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Regardless of who owns the car or what was done to it, it was nice to see Porsche represent!!! And it was good TV. Everybody should check out the show. If you like cars, you'll like the show... 996TT Power FTMFW, LOL

Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
dferg476 is infamous around these parts
Unreal, very cool video

Old 06-09-2008, 09:38 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by charlie_ludden
as well as the custom head straps and welds so he can run 2.5+bar of boost.
Unless Alex has switched to an air cooled motor or isn't running any coolant this modification wouldn't seem to matter much.35lbs of boost in these motors would more than likely cause the motor to leak internally where no welding is possible.Maybe you could post some pics of those straps or the welds so we could see how it is done?I know of a couple air cooled Porsche motors that run that kind of boost that leave with 12 quarts of oil before a pass and come back with 14 because of all the fuel leaking past the o-rings and getting in the oil or vice versa.They basically need to change the oil after every hard pass running that kind of boost.This is "ok" on an air cooled motor because neither will hydraulic the motor but on a water cooled motor ........well the results would be horrific.I'd have to see it to believe it!My guess would losing curb weight would be the biggest advantage.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by charlie_ludden
This is how rumors get started! I just spoke to him and he said that the headers are a new design with a one piece collector and he did not like the HTA GT35R's and now has a set of HKS custom turbos. The intercoolers are also HKS units and the plumbing is all new as well as the custom head straps and welds so he can run 2.5+bar of boost. He did say that Todd has tuned the car and will be doing the final tuning on his ECU. What is done to your Vette ?
Actually, rumors get started by listening to Alex. I trust my sources more than I do him.

As it says in my signature, the Corvette is stock.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-10-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Unless Alex has switched to an air cooled motor or isn't running any coolant this modification wouldn't seem to matter much.35lbs of boost in these motors would more than likely cause the motor to leak internally where no welding is possible.Maybe you could post some pics of those straps or the welds so we could see how it is done?I know of a couple air cooled Porsche motors that run that kind of boost that leave with 12 quarts of oil before a pass and come back with 14 because of all the fuel leaking past the o-rings and getting in the oil or vice versa.They basically need to change the oil after every hard pass running that kind of boost.This is "ok" on an air cooled motor because neither will hydraulic the motor but on a water cooled motor ........well the results would be horrific.I'd have to see it to believe it!My guess would losing curb weight would be the biggest advantage.
are you an engine builder? How do you know such absolutes?

How do other engines do it...There are 6 cylinder engines putting out over 1500 hp (supras) and I know of one 4 cylinder hitting nearly 2000hp, with a special built block. I don't that it is far fetched to be able to pull 1400+. And all the lemans winning high hp porsche racing engines of the last 20 - 30 years are watercooled just like these motors( same engine). I think that if porsche built a 2.6 liter flat six in their 956 that put out 700hp in the mid 1980's, the technology today allows for considerably more than that out of the same engine and then couple it with an engine that is 30% larger.

There are no absolutes in engine design since technology has gotten so much better.

Go ask if you porsche if you can get a new RSR racing motor (not the street motor). They have little secrets in them. I bet they will tell you no.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
are you an engine builder? How do you know such absolutes?

How do other engines do it...There are 6 cylinder engines putting out over 1500 hp (supras) and I know of one 4 cylinder hitting nearly 2000hp, with a special built block. I don't that it is far fetched to be able to pull 1400+. And all the lemans winning high hp porsche racing engines of the last 20 - 30 years are watercooled just like these motors( same engine). I think that if porsche built a 2.6 liter flat six in their 956 that put out 700hp in the mid 1980's, the technology today allows for considerably more than that out of the same engine and then couple it with an engine that is 30% larger.

There are no absolutes in engine design since technology has gotten so much better.

Go ask if you porsche if you can get a new RSR racing motor (not the street motor). They have little secrets in them. I bet they will tell you no.
You are so clueless it is not even funny!!!!First off these are not every other 6 cylinder motors.It is a totally different design than a Supra or Evo motor.Porsches don't have blocks they have cases and jugs.The Porsche boxer motor cannot handle large quantities of boost (35lbs or more)because of the inherent design(take a good look at a 996tt motor and then look at a Supra motor).We will see big hp (more than a 1000 @ the wheels)when someone builds a billet block for these cars and gets rid of the crankcase and jugs so we can put some real head studs and run some real torque settings to hold the heads down.Call up any of the porsche tuners on the right and see what they think about welding the heads and running those boost levels in a water cooled Porsche motor.And no I don't build engines for a living........but probably could if I wanted to.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
It is called the ability to withstand boost, dummy

Joe,

Your answer is absolutely correct and I have never even seen a Porsche engine.

What do you guys mean by Boxter?

MK

Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Jeez guys, don't you know he welded straps on? Tick tick tick tick... BOOM

Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
You are so clueless it is not even funny!!!!First off these are not every other 6 cylinder motors.It is a totally different design than a Supra or Evo motor.Porsches don't have blocks they have cases and jugs.The Porsche boxer motor cannot handle large quantities of boost (35lbs or more)because of the inherent design(take a good look at a 996tt motor and then look at a Supra motor).We will see big hp (more than a 1000 @ the wheels)when someone builds a billet block for these cars and gets rid of the crankcase and jugs so we can put some real head studs and run some real torque settings to hold the heads down.Call up any of the porsche tuners on the right and see what they think about welding the heads and running those boost levels in a water cooled Porsche motor.And no I don't build engines for a living........but probably could if I wanted to.
you obviously know much more than I, so explain how this VRalexander guy is smashing 9 second bikes? Is this all BS. On the supercar showdown, he was behind the 997 and in the last 1/8 of a mile or so pulled away from the 997 like it was standing still. That 997 should have won. There is apparently a history behind Mr. Alexander and being fairly new here I do not know what it is.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 PM
you obviously know much more than I, so explain how this VRalexander guy is smashing 9 second bikes? Is this all BS. On the supercar showdown, he was behind the 997 and in the last 1/8 of a mile or so pulled away from the 997 like it was standing still. That 997 should have won. There is apparently a history behind Mr. Alexander and being fairly new here I do not know what it is.
the search button is your friend.By the way there are atleast 4 turbos on here that would have mangled that 997 just the same or worse and their #'s can be found on the 60-130 and 1/4 mile thread yet they don't make 1400 crank hp.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 AM
I beat a 9 second bike (modded Hayabusa making 180 rwhp that ran 9.1 @ 155) on my middle boost setting with two people in the car. The vid was posted here. I was only making around 750 rwhp at the time.

As Joe said; there are quite a few people on here that would have smashed the Techart 997 the same or worse than VR did....and none of us are exaggerating or making a mystery of our actual HP numbers.

P.S. - If the "9 second bike" you're referring to is the Kawasaki ZRX 1200R with saddle bags that VR raced on video...it's actually a 11 second bike in its stock configuration.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-11-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Hey Joe and Scott- thanks for clearing things up and explaining how things really work. Good to see knowledgable people separate truth from internet legend. On the other hand....are you saying if one had F.U. money and wanted to billet out a block, the physics are there to make it happen?

And Scott, Jeez those damn Z06's are fast. 7.86 stock? Hell, you almost need 24/18's just to keep up!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 AM
cleanme is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by $manager
Hey Joe and Scott- thanks for clearing things up and explaining how things really work. Good to see knowledgable people separate truth from internet legend. On the other hand....are you saying if one had F.U. money and wanted to billet out a block, the physics are there to make it happen?

And Scott, Jeez those damn Z06's are fast. 7.86 stock? Hell, you almost need 24/18's just to keep up!
I've done some CNC work for my University and yes, if you had the money you could get a serious machine shop to buy the grade level aluminum/steel you want right from Alcan or Stelco, melt the ingots then either pour into a sandcast and/orrrrr get a block of aluminum/steel from Alcan and put it in a 6-axis CNC machine and machine out all your parts for the engine. Hell, I bet you could CNC the whole engine if you had about 3-4weeks. I say 3-4weeks because with a hard metal you can't go fast and b) you might as well machine the tolerances to 1/10,000th of an inch while you're at it.

But then add time for someone to put the blueprints in the computer too, it's doable though

Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by $manager
That was the perfect run in perfect conditions. I average low 8's most of the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Turbo vs. 1000HP TT Viper video