996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

new potential 996 TT owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:11 AM
DrPepper is on a distinguished road
new potential 996 TT owner

Hi all,

need some help in deciding for my first 911, I have a 2005 Cayenne S which works great especially hauling family and stuff & a great NE winter car, now it's my time to have some real fun, so I've been looking @ a 2001 996 TT with 51k miles, CPO'd, serviced in the same dealer from day one, all major systems have checked out, asking price is $57.8k,

http://inskip.porschedealer.com/preo...ntoryid=392351

Arctic silver
6 speed manual
CDR220
xenon lights

drove the car feels right, I am also looking at a 2002 C4S with 38k miles for $46.5 k, big question is on a daily drive what is the advantage of extra 100 hp or any major advantages of buying the TT vs C4S.

I am not a pro driver and never been to a race track but intend to drive the car as a DD & as much as I can, weather permitting.

What is a fair price for this car? which one would you buy?
thanks in advance,
SA

Old 05-24-2008, 09:17 AM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
Dont Compare The Two Totally Different Rides................imo

Old 05-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Chris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to beholdChris S is a splendid one to behold
TT for sure....but that asking price is high. You can do much better than that price with 51k miles. I was looking at an 02, 21k, CPO same car basically...in the NYC area for 62...and that was before negotiating.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by smokinxtreme
Dont Compare The Two Totally Different Rides................imo
can you explain, please

Old 05-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Chris S
TT for sure....but that asking price is high. You can do much better than that price with 51k miles. I was looking at an 02, 21k, CPO same car basically...in the NYC area for 62...and that was before negotiating.
The price is before negotiating,
how about $53k?
thanks

Old 05-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
I would choose the 996tt.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:39 AM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DrPepper
can you explain, please
C4S = WEAKSAUCE
TT = B.A.D.A.S.S

Old 05-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Eric 993TT is on a distinguished road
Drive them both. The differences will be apparent. TT all the way!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
I would go with the TT.. but not for 57.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Once the boost hits, you'll know the difference.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:48 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Had a 997C2S for a bit and once I felt the hp on my rear while driving a TT I quickly traded the car in for 2 TT's on coupe and one cab. My coupe is a fantastic DD, the cab is mostly a weekender. Don't make the same mistake I made TT all the way! You won't regret it. GL!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Have you done alot of research here on MY differences? 2001 has no glove box, some other stuff different as I recall...

The price has the P dealer tax well and fully added in. Sounds like you put a lot of faith in the aura of 'the Porsche dealer can do no wrong'. If you think they are anything more than another car dealer selling a used car, look out. Why would you trust them to tell you "all major systems check out"?? There are stories on here of major transmission issues in used cars- cars with CPOs- where the dealer doesn't catch it and then PNCA won't pay for repairs claiming it was abused. Doesn't matter that it wasn't YOU who abused it. You might also figure out what a CPO really gets you. Essentially it is a 'limited major medical' that serves to keep you coming to the Porsche Dealer's Service Department, where you can be bent over for all maintenance and stuff that magically 'sorry, isn't covered by the cpo'.

So, have a qualified expert inspect any car you but, no matter who you buy it from.

As to the TT versus ..everything else: if after driving both you can't tell, save the money buy the C4S.

A

Old 05-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by ard
Have you done alot of research here on MY differences? 2001 has no glove box, some other stuff different as I recall...

The price has the P dealer tax well and fully added in. Sounds like you put a lot of faith in the aura of 'the Porsche dealer can do no wrong'. If you think they are anything more than another car dealer selling a used car, look out. Why would you trust them to tell you "all major systems check out"?? There are stories on here of major transmission issues in used cars- cars with CPOs- where the dealer doesn't catch it and then PNCA won't pay for repairs claiming it was abused. Doesn't matter that it wasn't YOU who abused it. You might also figure out what a CPO really gets you. Essentially it is a 'limited major medical' that serves to keep you coming to the Porsche Dealer's Service Department, where you can be bent over for all maintenance and stuff that magically 'sorry, isn't covered by the cpo'.

So, have a qualified expert inspect any car you but, no matter who you buy it from.

As to the TT versus ..everything else: if after driving both you can't tell, save the money buy the C4S.

A
I agree anyone can sell you a bad car. Actually, I did have access to all the service records, also through another local rennlist member, I was introduced to the expert service tech. who personally drove the car and answered questions including "any type II over-revs", 2nd gear popping out, steering wheel reservoir leaks, RMS issues....etc, all checked out fine and documented in an email sent to me.

As far as driving difference I think unless you are completely stripped from your senses, one can tell the difference of 100 hp, I think my question was any major difference before the Turbo kicks in during a daily drive with good cops watching.

This will be my first 911 and just want to choose the right car. I re drove the C4S today and I should say it does have a great ride and great sound.
I will try to drive the TT again on Monday.
Thanks.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM will become famous soon enough
Hi.. Last August I purchased a 03' TT 6spd with 68k red on black/red stitching for 55k. The car needed rotors and pads And then rods after I put GT30s on her!!!!! Here to assist you, Tim

Old 05-24-2008, 03:31 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I agree anyone can sell you a bad car. Actually, I did have access to all the service records, also through another local rennlist member, I was introduced to the expert service tech. who personally drove the car and answered questions including "any type II over-revs", 2nd gear popping out, steering wheel reservoir leaks, RMS issues....etc, all checked out fine and documented in an email sent to me.
Excellent. Well ahead on the 'do your homework curve!

I As far as driving difference I think unless you are completely stripped from your senses, one can tell the difference of 100 hp, I think my question was any major difference before the Turbo kicks in during a daily drive with good cops watching.
As opposed to 'bad' cops?

I believe there are enough times to experience the thrust of the TT even staying reasonably legal on a normal daily commute. As to the comparison of a TT to a C$S if you stay unboosted, I cannot say.

I This will be my first 911 and just want to choose the right car. I re drove the C4S today and I should say it does have a great ride and great sound.
I will try to drive the TT again on Monday.
Thanks.
Cool

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new potential 996 TT owner