996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

rwd conversion done... impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:11 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Another testament... I ws getting sick of people bashing RWD, there is no substitute. Steve, you should have gotten the GT2 in the first place though, you wouldn't be thinking about big power mods trust me, its still way diff.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
yes its reversable
i think all you need to do is buy the front half shafts

Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
I think most (all?) of the people that bash on RWD in the 911tt may be people like me...people that did it the "wrong" way by simply removing the parts on an otherwise stock car. My feelings about the transformation mirror yours. I loved the way the steering felt and loved that I could kick the rear end around at will.

I think the main difference in feel, stability, and safety lies in whether the car has a proper suspension or not.

Does anyone have the stock suspension (haha...I think I know the answer!) on the car with the front end disconnected? I honestly could not keep the car going in a straight line when at WOT. The car was all over the place and I ended up sideways a lot going down the road.

For anyone with the stock suspension and RWD, when your car is at 30mph or so, doesn't it end up sideways if you put the throttle to the floor? My car is only an X50...no power mods and it is insane trying to keep it pointed straight with this setup.

I'd love to go back to RWD if I could!

Thanks,

Rob

Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
yes its reversable
i think all you need to do is buy the front half shafts

Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
This is good, I need to lower my front as well because the initial bump steer feeling is aweful.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
you should have gotten the GT2 in the first place
I agree.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:21 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver
For anyone with the stock suspension and RWD, when your car is at 30mph or so, doesn't it end up sideways if you put the throttle to the floor? My car is only an X50...no power mods and it is insane trying to keep it pointed straight with this setup.

I'd love to go back to RWD if I could!

Thanks,

Rob
If the road is made of asphault and there is moderate to heavy crowning, the tail will slide to the right if I punch it, but that is normal. Typically the car is planted. I still turn the PSM off everytime I get in the car as I did with the AWD. I didn't do anything to the suspension when I changed over.

STEVE-O, wait tell you've been in the car a couple months. You will own that beast. I know drifting is considered lame to some, but theres nothing like drifting the car around your favorite turn and using the throttle to steer it.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
i just got my car back from RPM racing
they installed a multi disc clutch (cermanic on one side, and something else on the other)

and did a RWD conversion

i wasnt totally sure about the conversion, and i had mixed feelings because a lot of members let me to believe that the car would be out of control etc

i drove the crap out of my car today, and i honestly think driving with awd is less controllable...

the steering response (which was my BIG issue with the car) is improved dramatically

the car spins in first (just like it did in awd) and hooks on 2nd

eddie bello had the car to 162 mph and it was absolutely planted on the road

the clutch did not slip one bit, and the car feels like a monster

the only problem im having now is not enough power

the car only holds 1.1 bar.
we adjusted the wastegates every which way, and its the same deal...

anyway
guys , do the rwd conversion. psm does not kick in any-more than it did when i was awd.
the car feels quicker, and turn in seems much improved

the clutch is also great

thanks again RPM

congrats and thanks for sharing your experience. mine will be done this weekend and put on the trailer to go to Chin at Sebring for a two day event next weekend.

all this street driving and drifting is great but I will give track data ( real data from traqmate with AWD and RWD lines over laid with segment times so I can see as others some of the turn in differences and exit speed changes.

I went with the Guard LSD, heavy billet side cover, tranny cooler, (water to oil), filter, and temp gauge.

Hope this turns out to be as postive an experience at the track as you guys have on the street.

there will be several 1 hours sessions in 95 degree heat so I will let you know how this tranny cooler works also

congrats again Steve!!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
i drove the crap out of my car today, and i honestly think driving with awd is less controllable...

the steering response (which was my BIG issue with the car) is improved dramatically

the car spins in first (just like it did in awd) and hooks on 2nd

eddie bello had the car to 162 mph and it was absolutely planted on the road

anyway
guys , do the rwd conversion. psm does not kick in any-more than it did when i was awd.
the car feels quicker, and turn in seems much improved
I've been preaching all of the above for quite a long time now. Congrats. I'm glad you're happy with the change.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I dont have any traction problems and I've got plenty of power. But I am on sport cups.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:18 AM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the write-up. Very informative. Have you noticed any difference in 1/4 mile times. How about 0-60? Does it feel quicker out of the hole. Can you launch as hard as you could with AWD and still get traction when leaving the stop light or drag racing?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Good feedback, thanks! I wouldn't go back either.

I can say that when I first just 'disconnected' the front axles and driveshaft, the steering and responsiveness was much improved. However, the real magic happened when I had the car properly corner balanced (with me in it). My front end did come down probably a 1/4" and I had some additional neg. camber dialed in (aggressive street setup of -1.3 frt and -1.8 rear). After this was all done, the car was amazing to drive. The turn in was waaay crisper and the car just sticks now like it never has. I'm not attributing all of this to the RWD conversion but I will say that once it all came together (with PSS9's and Eibach sways), I'm a HAPPY CAMPER! I took it to Streets of Willow (shorter, tighter track) and ran with some high hp and low hp (super light) cars out there. I had no problem keeping up with any of them on a track that really wasn't designed for 600hp and 3400lbs!

It may not be for everybody but it's certainly for a lot of us! Try it before your knock it! That's the only way to know for sure. It is reversible and I don't believe that you need to buy any additional parts to put it back, just labor...

Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
havent done 0 to 60 runs
but the car pulls stronger when im doing highway pulls

also i noticed less turbo lag
im guessing that kuz theres less mechanical drag on the engine ?

Old 06-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I loved RWD and was one of the first to do it (the wrong way) but with Pss9s. It was great until I got a got some tire wear and then it started to slip and slide.

I eventually went back to AWD, simply because it is faster this way at lower speeds. It just hooks and goes. There is never a question of having to lift in the 1-2 shift because the rear is starting to slide out.

The more camber you dial in, the better the handling but the worse the traction at launch, since you're essentially launching on one side of the tire.

More drag will mean less turbo lag. You car is just lighter and has less parasitic loss. More power is being transmitted to the ground.

havent done 0 to 60 runs
but the car pulls stronger when im doing highway pulls

also i noticed less turbo lag
im guessing that kuz theres less mechanical drag on the engine ?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 06-07-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
RocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant futureRocC4S has a brilliant future
Question

Is there any advise you guys can give me on the rwd conversion. I know my car is not a tt, but have been wanting to try it. My car is going in next week for pss10s and h&r adj. sways. Do you need the lsd, or should I be fine without it? Any feedback would be great because I will have to remove it all prior to dialing in the suspension.

I have also been following the official weight loss thread and started doing some of those mods as well, I think this would be a nice 80lb. loss.

Thx!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 PM
You will need an LSD for the track at some point. For the street, just be careful, easy to spin.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rwd conversion done... impressions