996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Potentially a new owner but still needs help in proper steps for a proper buy...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Riz1 is on a distinguished road
Potentially a new owner but still needs help in proper steps for a proper buy...

Hey guys i am potentially going to buy a car from out of state(Puyallup, WA) which is the first time i will be doing this. I know that some of you new owners had bad stories about experiences from out of state so that that's why i'm coming here to post up here before i make any dumb mistakes. The car is a 2002 996tt Red on black with 6k miles that has no warranty as this will be a private sale and not from a dealer. The owner says that he's the second owner in which he bought the car from true speed motor cars in Newport, Cali. I've asked the owner for a PPI on the car of course at my cost and he was perfectly fine with it saying that he's confident nothing is wrong with the car. Are their any other precautions i should take and questions i should ask to find out more about the car? I asked the owner about the 2nd gear pop and he basically doesn't know what that is so is their a way i can be aware if the car has it? I don't want to end up with the car with 2nd gear pop especially the costs. Here is the dealer he had it serviced at along with the (Larson Audi/Porsche (253) 475-3832) any opinions on the dealer? Yea i know i sound like a tard coming to you guys with advice but i figure i'd be safe rather than sorry...again thanks guys...here is the original ad btw i'm getting the car at 62k...good price???

yes i know the wheels suck but i'm buying the car without the wheels

This car is it!
For 2002, Porsche rolled out the most extreme Twin Turbo 996-based 911 yet.
This is the most sought after color and package combo in the 996 line. If you know your cars you will understand what you are looking at here. I live in Washington State and have never driven the car in the rain - thus only 6,346 miles. It is always keep in my carpeted garage with an average temperature of 60 degrees and with a car cover. I think I have spent more time wiping it with a diaper than driving it. This car is a gem. on a scale of 1-10 its a 10 all day long.
Whether you want a fast sports car that demands respect or a Sunday driver, this beauty is it! Make no mistake - you will not find another with the same options, price, mileage and look.
Why am I selling? I dont drive it and spend the time with my kids.
HERE IT IS!
2002 Porsche Twin Turbo
Only 6,346 miles
*20 Inch 3 Piece Chrome Maya Wheels
**Fab Speed Stainless Steel Straight Pipes (200 Cell Cats)
***Fab Speed High Performance Air Intake System
Carbon Fiber Wheel
Carbon Fiber Shift Lever
Carbon Fiber Switch Panel
Carbon Fiber E-Brake
Carbon Fiber Instrument Surround
Billet Aluminum Entry Guards
Billet Aluminum Pedals
Guards Red Ignition Rossette
Guards Red Rear center consol
Guards Red Calipers
Red Stitch through out the Dash and Seats
Matching Red Front and Rear Seat Belts
Supple Leather
Porsche Crest Embossed in Seats

*20 Inch 3 Piece Chrome Maya Wheels
  • Designed for the automobile enthusiasts that craves to be different and appreciates the quality of a high end product, Maya performance wheels mate timeless designs with cutting edge technology and have gracefully set the new quality standard in road wheels for all others to follow.
** Fab Speed Stainless Steel Straight Pipes (200 Cell )
  • Imported 200 cell catalytic converters
  • Imported sports racing catalytic converters with straight pipes that eliminate the bulky heavy stock 996TT factory exhaust system. Essentially your 996TT will have sports race catalytic converters connected to straight pipes out to your tips on both sides. Very aggressive sports car, exotic sports car sound like a 935 and 962. Fits all cars worldwide.
  • Complies with factory Porsche warranty. Very cool and very aggressive sound.
  • Saves 45lbs versus stock 996TT exhaust system
*** High Performance Air Intake System
  • +20.5 HP and +21.7 ft. Lbs of torque
  • 3/4 LB extra boost with no other changes. Allows unobstructed airflow to the twin turbo engine for MAXIMUM POWER.
  • COLD AIR is force fed to the engine's air filter by the STOCK fan and snorkel. See the photo above as the FAN blows COLD AIR directly onto the air filter and the intake snorkel dumps cold air to the filter.

Last edited by Riz1; 07-24-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
Looks like a clean car Riz and nicely optioned, If there is no second gear pop out and the PPI is good which I'm sure it will be with 6k miles I think you'll be good to go. Maybe a leakdown test? but with 6k miles I doubt it. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
You WILL be driving, touching and feeling it before buying, right?

(You can get there and back in 30 hours even with our ****ty US airline schedules. Easy weekend trip. Nobody is that busy... heck, I'd just figure out a business trip I needed to do in the general area (ie west coast) and tack the trip up to WAWA onto that...)

DO NOT have a PPI done by the servicing dealership. They are conflicted. Perhaps they've sold a 997 to your seller? Perhaps they've been doing all the work. Whatever. Find someone else. (6k miles is crazy low- what can go wrong?) I'd look for any paint/repairs,,,maybe that the current owner didn't catch. Also leaks. Do a CPO checklistand add a dump oif the DME for over-revs. Unless you EXPLICITLY ASK for a detailed 2nd gear pop out exam, and tell they how to do it, all you will get is a "drives fine" report.

I usually find myself saying 'you paid too much' but 62k with miles that low is a very good price. Some nice eye candy. 20" tires suck...does he have the stock rims?

GL

A

Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
The car looks very nice with many CFs. On top of already mentioned, take her out for a short hard drive and see if the car is keeping boost and see if CEL comes up. If you ever get this car, just remember this car is not designed to run on 20" wheels.

Good Luck.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Gove back the 20"s and tell them to put in on some Escalade...
other then that... it's a nice car...
Take the car to the dealer and make sure the miles are as they are... I mean, it is possible to switch the cluster...
Markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Speedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud of
I think 62k is a great price for that car in that condition with such low mileage. Just to let you know, Truspeed only sells the best of the best when it comes to porsches, etc. They charge a premium on all their cars because most of them are in unparalleled condition. I would still do a PPI for piece of mind and I would also get it done at an unbiased dealership, good luck and nice car!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Have you done a carfax? That seems like a great deal if mileage is original and no major accidents.

I bought my car sight unseen but had someone at FVD give it a once over, test drive and review maintenance records with the servicing dealer. it was a one owner car.

Wouldn't hurt to fly out and see It for yourself and also have a body shop give it a thorough inspect just to be super duper safe...

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-24-2008 at 11:38 PM.