996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Did a search...P1109 without any PSM/ABS lights...MAF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
JCB, did you try to disconnect the MAF and drive without it? Does the car sputter around 4-5K RPM? I know this is not recommended but I tried it once and figured out the MAF issue. Did you put in a new exhaust?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:50 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
No new exhaust. Switzer.

And, I don't plan to drive without the MAF. I am not that brave is all...if I mess up the engine....

I got the MAF via FedEx yesterday. Put it in. Drive to work was without CEL. I plan to watch it a few days. I suspect the thermistor went as proposed above......and I just had really awful car luck....MAF dying for the first time ever on the way home after getting the car from a total tranny rebuild and improvement session at a top end shop.

GO figure. I must say, it is sublime to drive now...new car, all known possible things that people note on the forum have been addressed with new or improved options.....the car is a keeper afaik.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I hope it works out....BTW, you won't damage the car driving without the MAF...you just won't get the performance you want.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Perhaps I should have suggested checking the connectors, but you'd said you have the maf out to clean it so I assumed the connections had been checked, reconnected at least once....lets hope it holds.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ard
Perhaps I should have suggested checking the connectors, but you'd said you have the maf out to clean it so I assumed the connections had been checked, reconnected at least once....lets hope it holds.
Your assumption was correct. Crossing fingers it is just the maf. The other option is the wiring harness somehow got hurt. I have the full support of my shop, so no issues. I would prefer to have my car just need the MAF of course....the shop is in close communication with me and approves of my plan too. Great guys.

BTW, thanks to everyone on the board..I found most of my information on this forum in order to figure things out. The cleaning DIY, etc. To everyone who posts about technical issues and their fixes/errors: thanks.

Jeff

Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
JCB, what kind of intake do you have?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Stock. OEM filter (paper).

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-10-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Update: P1109 came back, with a new MAF...

Hi.

Got the CEL again, even with the new MAF. What do you guys think?

My worst fear is that upon taking the engine out and back in, the wiring harness got damaged.

Are there any common reasons to have a P1109 with a good MAF?

Thanks.

Jeff

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I listed them in post #3

Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I listed them in post #3
I noted them...odd....all was fine. Engine dropped and tranny repaired. Enging put back in the car...CEL.

Not sure why the throttle issues would affect things unless they can get damaged in the repair of the tranny process..... Just too coincidental. No issues. No CELS before a HUGE job...then a CEL. I bet a wire is broken someplace, or loose.

The car seems to drive fine.

Anyone ever have this issue themselves?

Drew...man go to the MAW, but right now I am tied up. I also found that after VIR, Pocono was nice, but not the same. In my opinion, the track is not is great shape (rough/pot holes...). Given my recent issues, I want to be very careful of the car and probably will not subject it to Pocono.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I listed them in post #3
I noted them...odd....all was fine. Engine dropped and tranny repaired. Engine put back in the car...CEL.

Not sure why the throttle issues would affect things unless they can get damaged in the repair of the tranny process..... Just too coincidental. No issues. No CELS before a HUGE job...then a CEL. I bet a wire is broken someplace, or loose.

DAS plans to take care of things no matter what it is. Nuff said.

The car seems to drive fine.

Anyone ever have this issue themselves?

Drew...may (~30%) go to the MAW, but right now I am tied up. I also found that after VIR, Pocono was nice, but not the same. In my opinion, the track is not in good shape (rough/pot holes...). I saw a GT3 spin in an advanced group when a piece of that hole on the entrance to the banked section gave up a chunk of stuff - or so it seemed to those of us working the pit-in. Given my recent issues, I want to be very smart with the car and probably will not subject it to Pocono. I do a lot during the year for MAW....

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-11-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Hook up the durametric and do a data log....this might help find the issues.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I got the P1109 also. Car was driving perfect, with Hitachi MAF. Had a set of Motons installed. Now I get the P1109 periodically. I think a wire may be loose?? I'm going to jiggle **** around a bit and see what happens.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:07 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Oh ya, no doubt. I just havent seen you for a while...haha

Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Fixed!

Hidden partially broken "snap clamp" on a hose coming off the left of the factory Y tube. I had missed it and per the master mechanic at DAS, he found it fast, but some of the guys would not have seen it.

Put a fuel injector (read strong, tight) clamp on it.

No more CEL's.

Bill Dougherty and Kevin M. of UMW had guessed a vacuum issue and were right....but everyone felt MAF was the issue first...nope, the new MAF did not help me.

So if you get a P1109 and no blinking PSM/ABS lights or light action, thing this hose. Note, I had checked. The problem was hidden from view and the tube was on it fitting, seeming tight....so this was a touch thing to find.

Car is back to 100%...all fluids fresh in all gear containing and part containg areas. New tires. New suspension.

Just a blast ....

Thanks everyone for the help. In the end, a Grand AM crew chief saved the day. Sending them OBDII data was a help....highly recommended to those that can do it. I used an Actron 9180. Small, battery driven. No durametric, but "enough" ...a keeper. The durametric is planned for later.

It is always fun to visit DAS.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-12-2008 at 08:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did a search...P1109 without any PSM/ABS lights...MAF?