996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24 vs K16 - percieved lag difference ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:24 PM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
K24 vs K16 - percieved lag difference ???

I searched on this topic and saw a varying set of responses from an un-noticeable difference in lag between K16s and K24s to some that thought that K24s were extremely laggy. Seems odd though because I haven't heard the lag issue raised very much from X50 or GT2 owners, particularly those that have been flashed.

In a hypothetical race from a dead start which car would have the advantage and for how long? From what I've read it seems like a K16 car will get a significant jump from a standing start and perhaps the K24 car from 2000 rpm and above - is this correct? If from a dead start, how long does the K16 car stay ahead - 50ft, 100ft?

All the performance stats I've seen for K24 based cars (X50, Turbo S and GT2) show them being quicker to 60 and in the quarter mile than a regular K16 car, but yet I'm reading that a K16 car spools faster and hence is quicker at some points in the performance range??

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, particularly for those that have driven cars with both types of Turbos.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I always said that the K24 lag bashing was coming from those who probably never even had them... I had K16s, K24s, K24/26s, and gt35rs, and custom GT35rs... so I know WHAT lag is...
Isn't it ironic that a super duper GT2 that cost $50K over a 996tt was fitted with K24s...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-17-2008, 06:13 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
You ain't seen lag 'til you've driven a 930 with K27s....now that is lag!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
You ain't seen lag 'til you've driven a 930 with K27s....now that is lag!
+++1111

I had an '86 930 with a K29!!! Talk about lag, felt like being hit from behind by a bus when it finally starts spooling!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I had a 930 with a K27.......you're right it was really laggy.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
I searched on this topic and saw a varying set of responses from an un-noticeable difference in lag between K16s and K24s to some that thought that K24s were extremely laggy. Seems odd though because I haven't heard the lag issue raised very much from X50 or GT2 owners, particularly those that have been flashed.

In a hypothetical race from a dead start which car would have the advantage and for how long? From what I've read it seems like a K16 car will get a significant jump from a standing start and perhaps the K24 car from 2000 rpm and above - is this correct? If from a dead start, how long does the K16 car stay ahead - 50ft, 100ft?

All the performance stats I've seen for K24 based cars (X50, Turbo S and GT2) show them being quicker to 60 and in the quarter mile than a regular K16 car, but yet I'm reading that a K16 car spools faster and hence is quicker at some points in the performance range??

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, particularly for those that have driven cars with both types of Turbos.
would be easier to tell you what you are considering and what you have now. do you have K-16 and want more and if so what performance envelop in particular are you looking to increase??

K-24's with a good flash and exhaust trump the k-16 everytime at every step of the way. go to a k-24 hybrid and you have more car than most can handle.

and the lag thing I think mostly pertains to guys that dont know how to drive!!

my 2 cents and thats what it is worth.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I went against RobertP and his flashed K24 cab several times. We started in 1st gear and were even until about the middle of 2nd. Then he pulled out and stayed out. Don't believe the hype about K24 lag.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
there is only "lag" if you're in the wrong gear...if you are between 3k and 4k before you "race" or "safely pass somone", lag shouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
doesnt a Tiptronic come into play with K16 vs K24 lag? I have heard a tiptronic ( which I have) is better with a K16 hybrid then a K24 for the lag difference

Old 09-18-2008, 08:34 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
How about this analogy, from someone who has had both on my car:

Have a guy hold a garden hose two feet from your chest, and have another guy hold a hose off a fire hydrant two feet from your chest.

You say go, but the guy with the garden hose turns his on a split second first.

Get the picture?

Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
Was this with your current K16/16G setup?

Originally Posted by Onetime
I went against RobertP and his flashed K24 cab several times. We started in 1st gear and were even until about the middle of 2nd. Then he pulled out and stayed out. Don't believe the hype about K24 lag.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Affirm. With my current setup. It's stupid fast compared to "regular" cars, but the K24s are bigger so they make more power. It will smoke a stock k16 car though. Nobody needs this much power anyway. On second thought I may buy some 24s.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by $manager
How about this analogy, from someone who has had both on my car:

Have a guy hold a garden hose two feet from your chest, and have another guy hold a hose off a fire hydrant two feet from your chest.

You say go, but the guy with the garden hose turns his on a split second first.

Get the picture?
Great analogy! Brings a great image to my mind!! Too right buddy, too right!!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
I've post this video before,
My TT (yellow TT) K16, EVO flash, V-flow, RUF exhaust.
Camera car (Black TT) X50 K24, EVO flash.
M5 stock.

http://tunertrader.vidiac.com/catego...120018f997.htm

Old 09-18-2008, 06:58 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
why does the black car look so slow? compared to a stock m5 it should pull harder no?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24 vs K16 - percieved lag difference ???