996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo in the snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
dublinoh will become famous soon enoughdublinoh will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Speedshaq
You use it as dd?
Yes, 10 miles each way...mostly in the country...and I have a single car garage at work. I drive in the rain and snow; but if I'm not going to work, I worry about where I park. Usually a long walk to the store from the parking spot

Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
Looks very nice in the snow

Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Ice's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura about
Man u guys driving your cars in the snow. I give you all props. I don't even take my car out in the rain!!!!!!

Ice

Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
brain police is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jasonfreed
Brain Police -

PLEASE stop driving your car in snow with PS2s. I'm telling you, you will crash at some point.

It's not that it will not "go", it just will not "stop".

Summer rubber and cold temps do not mix well - add an inch of snow to that mix and rear ending someone is a good possibility.

Not worth it IMO.

For about $800 shipped from TireRack, you can put some proper winter rubber on your current rims and be happy and safe.
Jasonfreed, You're right. I am probably tempting fate. Supposed to get another 1-3" snow tonight with temps in the single digits, wind chill much colder. I'll bite the bullet and go with a set of Pirelli 240s. Thanks for the slap upside my head.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
jasonfreed is on a distinguished road
LOL -Honestly, the winter rubber performs much better on dry roads with these cold temps too.

You'll get 2 years out of them (they suck when they get about 50% worn - so no driving them down to the cords like we all do with summer rubber). $400/yr = better than crashing your car.

There was a class action lawsuit against Audi then the B5 S4 came out. The sales people were telling new owners they did not need snow tires since it's quattro.

LOL - people were crashing left and right with their z-rated summer rubber.

How would you know though if it was your first real performance car? Hey it's an Audi, it should be fine. After putting winter rubber (Blizzaks) on, I've been putting winter rubber on all my cars - soooo great in the snow.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
VOLIDA is on a distinguished road
looks good

Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 PM
dublinoh will become famous soon enoughdublinoh will become famous soon enough
LOL -Honestly, the winter rubber performs much better on dry roads with these cold temps too.

You'll get 2 years out of them (they suck when they get about 50% worn - so no driving them down to the cords like we all do with summer rubber). $400/yr = better than crashing your car.

There was a class action lawsuit against Audi then the B5 S4 came out. The sales people were telling new owners they did not need snow tires since it's quattro.

LOL - people were crashing left and right with their z-rated summer rubber.

How would you know though if it was your first real performance car? Hey it's an Audi, it should be fine. After putting winter rubber (Blizzaks) on, I've been putting winter rubber on all my cars - soooo great in the snow.
Funny you should mention that...I was one of those that bought an S4...and the dealer was 100miles away...and it started to snow on the way home. The car was so confused by the lack of traction that the ABS continued to pulse after my foot was off the brake. Summer tire, and new at that, made the car completely undriveable. As soon as I got home I called tirerack and ordered Blizzaks. I wasn't part of the suit...but a couple years later I got a check from Audi...paid for my tires. What I didn't know then was that the tires were not appropriate below 40 degrees even on a dry road.

Last edited by dublinoh; 01-15-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
jasonfreed is on a distinguished road
I was one of the S4 people who got a check about 3 yrs after I bought snow tires too!

IIRC, the class action letter asked for a receipt if you bought snow tires. If you could show a receipt, you got paid.

I happened to toss it into my "S4 file" so it was still there!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brain police
It's the idiots driving 70mph in a snowstorn that give me the shakes.
what about for Walter.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHXsndBWj3Y&NR=1[/media]

Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM
fastz33 is on a distinguished road
sweet

Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Brain Police -

PLEASE stop driving your car in snow with PS2s. I'm telling you, you will crash at some point.

It's not that it will not "go", it just will not "stop".

Summer rubber and cold temps do not mix well - add an inch of snow to that mix and rear ending someone is a good possibility.

Not worth it IMO.

For about $800 shipped from TireRack, you can put some proper winter rubber on your current rims and be happy and safe.
not too much of snow driving experience from Cali as u can see. almost rear ended a taxi while i was in Boston 2 weeks ago. lucky it was less than 1'' i would've kissed the bumper.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 PM
stevengerard is on a distinguished road
I bought my first set of snow tires ever and put them on the TT - what a difference, makes for a great dd! folks look at me like I am nuts driving this thing in the snow but heck I get to use the car year round now and save some tread on the summer tires for the summer when they are useful

Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 PM
soothsayer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by stevengerard
I bought my first set of snow tires ever and put them on the TT - what a difference, makes for a great dd! folks look at me like I am nuts driving this thing in the snow but heck I get to use the car year round now and save some tread on the summer tires for the summer when they are useful

Very cool...have you been driving it in the -30 wind chill the last couple days....feel a power difference?? I dont drive mine in the winter. The salt and potholes (craters) make it pretty messy.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Wind chilling, who needs stinking wind chill.

It was MINUS 26 on my drive to work yesterday here in Iowa (in the TT, of course). Wind chill overnight was expected to be MINUS 54.

Oh, just checked. It is Minus 25 right now!

It's cold.....

Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
My car has been in the garage for almost a month now..I am now tempted to get a set of winter tires and enjoy my car. Its not even the temps ...its all the salt and potholes that scare me in Chicago.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo in the snow