996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ok, i've got the K24s, and all the hardware, now I need tuning..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmym3
correct i dont think fvd does 18 g and so on. i would do protomotive . i beleive is tuning is superior to epl .no one knows the dme like Todd k.
Have you used both to make assumptions like this ? I don't know many on this forum who have no alliances and can form an honest opinion. I likely am one of the few, I suggest talking to the tuners, building a relationship and picking the one that works best for your particular goals. Take a look at how you will be using the car and what features you will need. There are many differences between tuners as far as features, the way the flash is loaded and most importantly cost. You can have full faith that both EPL and Protomotive know the Bosch DME very well and can likely answer any question you have.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have 2 step in my car for over a year ago... it was done in one day. I just do not brag about it. Such things are trivial to Todd.

Some tuners come from a computer background... some are engine builders.. but few can do both....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I have 2 step in my car for over a year ago... it was done in one day. I just do not brag about it. Such things are trivial to Todd.

Some tuners come from a computer background... some are engine builders.. but few can do both....
Mark, I respect your opinion and although I don't pretend to be a master engine builder, I have definitely built engines that liter for liter make significantly more power then what I see being done in the 996 world.

By no means was I bragging, I was simply stating facts about myself/company that pertained to a previous comment.

Last edited by Tony@epl; 02-12-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:46 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
you have built motors that make significant more power that you see beeing done in the porsche world? right , where are they ? you say you have some of the fastest p cars ? where are they ? im still waiting to see times .

you speak of launch control , gear dependant boost and rev limits , stop acting like you reinvented the wheel bro those are miniscule things have been done loooong time ago ,personaly i dont see the use for them .

hows your fully variable cam timing programing along? and you seem to know an awful lot of things about other peoples programing .... hmmmm interesting.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
you have built motors that make significant more power that you see beeing done in the porsche world? right , where are they ? you say you have some of the fastest p cars ? where are they ? im still waiting to see times .
you speak of launch control , gear dependant boost and rev limits , stop acting like you reinvented the wheel bro those are miniscule things have been done loooong time ago ,personaly i dont see the use for them .

hows your fully variable cam timing programing along? and you seem to know an awful lot of things about other peoples programing .... hmmmm interesting.

Thank you for your input.

Have a nice evening.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !

Plenty of the quickest cars on the 60-130 list and Drag list have been tuned by EPL. Protomotive also has quite a stance on the list as well and have built and tuned many respectable cars on the forums and abroad. I recall seeing a 60-130 car that ran a 7.0 a few weeks back with a K16/16G. Chris Green is in the 10s on a stock engine K24/18G setup with Tony's Tune. The One Lap of America winner last year ran an EPL tune Granted I don't think he's tuned any of the top 3 on the drag list, I'd personally be anxious to see what he could do given the opportunity to tune a car more geared towards drag racing..... the results may speak for themselves before you know it.

That being said, we've built 6 cylinder engines that make almost double what the highest horsepower numbers on this forum produce and are the quickest imports in the world at the quarter mile. When it comes to a 996, I have no problem trusting Tony with the Motronic programing on our cars. I told Tony I had a set of 1,000cc injectors laying around that I wanted to give a try, the next day I had a tune and when we fired the car up it ran great. Not a tune that's off the shelf by any means, and Tony nailed it on the first try.

I think you've built a fine opinion, and given the nature of your posts you've build a solid opinion on who to trust with your car. That's perfectly acceptable as this is a public forum and you're entitled to that, but I'd just be sure to have some facts to back up what you say given your strong stance. There is plenty that goes on behind the scenes in this industry like all industries. Don't be fooled by some of the smoke and mirrors of this forum, not everything you read is true, and not everything that is true is posted. Sit back, relax and enjoy.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Lights out!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:38 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
i faced the same problem. i have FVD software and i wanted to upgrade.i was also having a boost loss problem. two local shops could not find the problem with my car. i drove my car to Tony at EPL yesterday and within one hour he had found and repaired the boost problem !
before taking my car to EPL, i spoke to FVD and Protomotive and i was easily convinced that EPL is the right choice. FVD wanted to charge me again too and they dont use an 18G setup ,that i have read so many good things about. Protomotive sells an off the shelf tune and i wouldnt trust any of my local shops to install the Protomotive tune.
Tony at EPL wanted to have my car and do the custom tune on his dyno. he said that no two cars are totally alike and thats why the custom tune is best for each car.
you have to talk to Tony at EPL before you upgrade your car !!!
i cant wait to drive my car with my new 18G's !!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911stripper
i faced the same problem. i have FVD software and i wanted to upgrade.i was also having a boost loss problem. two local shops could not find the problem with my car. i drove my car to Tony at EPL yesterday and within one hour he had found and repaired the boost problem !
before taking my car to EPL, i spoke to FVD and Protomotive and i was easily convinced that EPL is the right choice. FVD wanted to charge me again too and they dont use an 18G setup ,that i have read so many good things about. Protomotive sells an off the shelf tune and i wouldnt trust any of my local shops to install the Protomotive tune.
Tony at EPL wanted to have my car and do the custom tune on his dyno. he said that no two cars are totally alike and thats why the custom tune is best for each car.
you have to talk to Tony at EPL before you upgrade your car !!!
i cant wait to drive my car with my new 18G's !!!!!!!!

Congrats on your new found knowledge...

Old 02-13-2009, 08:07 PM
xlr8 is on a distinguished road
I went down to EPL and had Tony dyno my Turbo S cab. He is obviuosly very knowlegable and talented. I just bought a 2005 Turbo S coupe that is stock exept for a Tubi exhaust. I am going to have him do the DV's, Wastegates, 5 bar and he is going to do a custome tune. I have used GIAC and UMW on other X50's. I will let you know how it turns out. I would not let him do this if I did not trust him. I have spoken to several current customers and everyone seems very pleased with his work. I would respect his opinion when he posts information on this board !!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Protomotive sells an off the shelf tune and i wouldnt trust any of my local shops to install the Protomotive tune.
yayks... And who told you this? Are you serious? Proto has been rewriting the Bosch code long before most even knew how to tune... He has 15 years of experience with the Bosch DME... My car is running a GT3 code with GT3 race heads and GT3 cams... that was 3 years ago.... he has built and tuned from bottom up a handful of 900+ rwhp cars... his cars still own many if not most records... these are customer cars mind you.... not shop cars...
He has been live tuning for many years while the rest of the pack was buying 3rd party flashes and reselling them... NOW that is a off the shelf flash...
You got this one wrong buddy... or maybe someone told you differently...
Enjoy you car... Im sure it will do just fine...

markski
here is a glimps of a protomotive off the shelf tune...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFvrvj5VYgQ

click to view

Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
todd may be a great tuner, but what is custom about putting the tune for my car on flashdrive and mailing to to me ???
he would have no way to know how rich or lean my car runs.
tony from EPL wants to work on the car in his shop.
would you let a doctor perform surgery on your heart from a 1000 miles away ???

Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
todd may be a great tuner, but what is custom about putting the tune for my car on flashdrive and mailing to to me ???
he would have no way to know how rich or lean my car runs.
tony from EPL wants to work on the car in his shop.
would you let a doctor perform surgery on your heart from a 1000 miles away ???
Your wrong again... I just went back and forth 3 times with todd in a matter of an hour today till we got the problem solved( IM helping out a friend with his car)... You datalog the car via Durametric and he gets the emial.. makes adjustments and send it back... he has tuner a 1100 rwhp 996tt like that...
trust me it does work well...
I am not denying that a dyno tune is the way to go... but slamming someone becasue he is 1000 miles away or that he can only do it via the WWW doesnt mean his car will go any slower and or perform subpar...
Im sure you in good hands with Tony...
Trust me when I tell you that 99% of the tunes out there are internet based... Even Tony does it...
markski

click to view

Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I just had Tony at EPL do a flash for me on stock turbo's and straight pipes...runs really good! I spoke to Tony over the phone and I think he mentioned to me that he was in the Honda world as I was a while ago and I do believe he has experience with a lot of horsepower.

Many many years ago Honda tuners were getting 500-600hp per liter in race cars. Even more now. Back then street cars were probably around 350-400hp per liter...Example-2.0 Honda motor pushing 800HP to the wheels on c16 or Q16. Our Porsche cars aren't anywhere close to that horsepower ratio yet.

Supra's are still in a league of there own too. The Porsche world isn't pushed as hard as the Honda's or Supra's as Porsche engines cost much more and people don't race Porsche's at the drag strip as much.

I can't wait till these Porsche's start making 1200-1400whp+ and start running 8's in street car trims. Probably need dual 66 or 67mm turbbo's, anyone tune those yet??

Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
I spoke to Tony over the phone and I think he mentioned to me that he was in the Honda world as I was a while ago

Well- that is a surprise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ok, i've got the K24s, and all the hardware, now I need tuning..