996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL K16 Stock Flash DYNO-AWE Straight Pipes, K&N filter, 20" Iforged wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
EPL K16 Stock Flash DYNO-AWE Straight Pipes, K&N filter, 20" Iforged wheels

I went to the Dyno the other day and figured I'd post the results...

2002 Porsche TT Stock K16 Turbo's with 50,000 miles
K&N filter
AWE 3" Straight Pipes
20" Iforged wheels
Stock Diverter valves (I need to put my new ones on)

401HP and 430trq
(Second Dyno has air/fuel ratio chart) (First dyno shows comparison of heatsoak 1st run and 4th run without much air)

Name:  SCAN0002.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  127.7 KB

Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  116.8 KB

Tony Posted a graph of EPL's stock flash at 400HP and ...... The filters used were a little bit different on my dyno run which may contribute a very little Horsepower to my car had we used the same as EPL's dyno but not that much different. His dyno also showed right around 12:1 Air Fuel ratio across the board. Mine showed 10.5-11.5 which will definitely contribute somewhat to less horsepower.

TONY'S STOCK K16 Flash

Name:  996_corrected.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  72.6 KB

I'm very happy with how the car runs but kind of confused how much horsepower my wheels are taking away and why the air/fuel is that rich?

If anything the straight pipes should cause the car to run leaner then a restrictive stock exhaust.... I've got 20" Iforged wheels on which are about .5 in bigger up front and about an inch bigger in the back, these may take a little power away but probably not too much.

In the end I like the tune and hoping that when I change my straight pipes to regular muffler exhaust it doesn't run RICHER and loses horsepower too much.

The first dyno run was the higher number, the second dyno run was just a little lower peak numbers but lost some in the midrange as the coolant temperature was SUPER HOT around 200 maybe as it was heatsoaked from sitting with no airflow.

Any and all opinions are welcomed.

Last edited by LamboTT; 03-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
I went to the Dyno the other day and figured I'd post the results...

2002 Porsche TT Stock K16 Turbo's with 50,000 miles
K&N filter
AWE 3" Straight Pipes
20" Iforged wheels
Stock Diverter valves (I need to put my new ones on)

401HP and 430trq
(Second Dyno has air/fuel ratio chart) (First dyno shows comparison of heatsoak 1st run and 4th run without much air)

Attachment 90972

Attachment 90971

Tony Posted a graph of EPL's stock flash at 400HP and ...... The filters used were a little bit different on my dyno run which may contribute a very little Horsepower to my car had we used the same as EPL's dyno but not that much different. His dyno also showed right around 12:1 Air Fuel ratio across the board. Mine showed 10.5-11.5 which will definitely contribute somewhat to less horsepower.

TONY'S STOCK K16 Flash

Attachment 90973

I'm very happy with how the car runs but kind of confused how much horsepower my wheels are taking away and why the air/fuel is that rich?

If anything the straight pipes should cause the car to run leaner then a restrictive stock exhaust.... I've got 20" Iforged wheels on which are about .5 in bigger up front and about an inch bigger in the back, these may take a little power away but probably not too much.

In the end I like the tune and hoping that when I change my straight pipes to regular muffler exhaust it doesn't run RICHER and loses horsepower too much.

The first dyno run was the higher number, the second dyno run was just a little lower peak numbers but lost some in the midrange as the coolant temperature was SUPER HOT around 200 maybe as it was heatsoaked from sitting with no airflow.

Any and all opinions are welcomed.
Looks great! Do you have any duremtric logs to go along with this? I highly doubt that its running as rich as the dyno is displaying. They also used 60% smoothing on the graph that will easily knock off 5+ hps from the final numbers.

What was the fan set up like? Did they have fans in the front of the car as well as the IC's? 3rd or 4th gear test?

BTW this is well over 500 crank hps . Congrats!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Get rid of those dubs son! Results look great, I'd put a wideband in the car to double check, I noticed similar on our dyno 02 using 2 differnet 02's, logged it against my Innovate LM-1 and the innovate was spot on.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM
It was a innovative wideband that was very very accurate as I watched it on other cars that day and I know when the innovative wideband goes bad....

It definitely won't read 20.9 when you let off the throttle, but this one did.
It will usually start reading off from that reading like maybe 20.7, 20.6, etc...eventually throw a heater error code in my experience.

I definitely believe the wideband was spot on as it was a innovative lm-1 with a aux output to the dyno so it could read it on the graph. It was put directly in the left side tailpipe.

No fans on front of car. Only little fans in rear intercooler vents as I think thats why it got hot so quick. The power doesn't fall off it's just in the midrange that I think it might pick up a little. 3rd gear only pulls. I dont' have a durametric so I can log it but if someone wants to lend one I'll log the car till the cows come home...

I may try to put on the stock wheels when I redo the exhaust and suspension in a week or two.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Here's a couple pictures of the car (need more pictures I know but you can see the wheel difference)...ignore the Supra in the background/AKA unicorn as it's gone.

Name:  IMG_1795.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  226.9 KB

Name:  DSC04566.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  236.3 KB

Old 03-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
It was a innovative wideband that was very very accurate as I watched it on other cars that day and I know when the innovative wideband goes bad....

It definitely won't read 20.9 when you let off the throttle, but this one did.
It will usually start reading off from that reading like maybe 20.7, 20.6, etc...eventually throw a heater error code in my experience.

I definitely believe the wideband was spot on as it was a innovative lm-1 with a aux output to the dyno so it could read it on the graph. It was put directly in the left side tailpipe.

No fans on front of car. Only little fans in rear intercooler vents as I think thats why it got hot so quick. The power doesn't fall off it's just in the midrange that I think it might pick up a little. 3rd gear only pulls. I dont' have a durametric so I can log it but if someone wants to lend one I'll log the car till the cows come home...

I may try to put on the stock wheels when I redo the exhaust and suspension in a week or two.
These cars NEED fans on the front and on the intercoolers. Its not worth paying to dyno the car if there isnt enough of a fan set up.

I recently tuned off site on a dyno in MN on a dyno with almost no fans. Cars were loosing 20-30 hps even on a cold pulls because there wasnt enough air movement..

We ended up going out to a local rent-a-center and renting carpet fans.... The set up below still isnt enough.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:21 PM
redr1 is infamous around these parts
So if I have this exact setup but with the upgrade DV's and a full 100cell exhaust (gemballa/remus), what you think the approximate HP my 996TT is putting to the wheels?

Also a shout out to Tony for his flash, the car is so much more drivable and the added 100hp is nice too!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i think you broke the first rule of your business
"dont get high on your own supply"

take the 20s off man
they look horrible

and dont say to each his own..
thats like saying " i enjoy having herpes outbreaks , but to each his own"

Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
the rest of the car looks sick though, especially the drop

Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Lol. 20's are a mixed feeling. They look good but the bottom of the skirts need be painted to make the car look lower to the ground. There honestly about the same size in the rear as a 295/30/19 is so anyone who runs that tire or a 305/30/19 will have the same look.

The drop is just on H&R springs. I have a setup of GT2 Coilovers and adjustable links to put on eventually.

So I guess the conclusion is that the power looks good? Maybe a little to be had from the wheels but not a whole lot and maybe a little on the smooth filter on the dyno but not much there either....If I get the itch I'm going bigger turbo's I suppose.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Those 20s don't look bad to me. They don't even look like 20s. My then Upsolute tuned car dyno'd almost exactly the same, 407 hp and 430 tq.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
I suggest a pesticide/bug sprayer from Home Depot. Fill with water and spray on the intercoolers every coupe of runs. I noticed that when tuning my personal car, this made a huge difference in power(obviously), but also allowed me to perform back to back runs to simulate heat soak, then cool it all down and test it again. Coupled with a fan or two on each IC, it can make your dyno session a much more pleasant(and expedient) one. Although not always feasible, removal of the rear bumper also helps.

Justin

Originally Posted by Tony@epl
These cars NEED fans on the front and on the intercoolers. Its not worth paying to dyno the car if there isnt enough of a fan set up.

I recently tuned off site on a dyno in MN on a dyno with almost no fans. Cars were loosing 20-30 hps even on a cold pulls because there wasnt enough air movement..

We ended up going out to a local rent-a-center and renting carpet fans.... The set up below still isnt enough.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Former Vendor
I agree, bug sprayers work great... but you need cooling during the run. Without enough fan, you will heat soak DURING the run completely different then the street.