6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Hissing sound at top of clutch while in gear... (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/164932-hissing-sound-top-clutch-while-gear.html)

jcb-memphis 03-16-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT (Post 2303710)
Thanks for chiming in Jeff. Could this noise only appear while the clutch pedal is near release?

I don't know, but it would be relatively easy to test if it happens at idle.

Play with the clutch with the engine lid open. Have someone listen to the power steering area. In theory the two should be unrelated...in theory. But you could check. It is a common problem with these cars.

Is your pentosin level low???? Redish dark stain on the floor in the right rear area of the car that is not oil in color? Ask me how I know.

:)

Good luck. I assume your brake fluid is ok up in the clutch reservoir under the plastic over in the left side of the trunk just in front of the driver's dash....

Jeff

NineNineSixTT 03-16-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis (Post 2303712)
I don't know, but it would be relatively easy to test if it happens at idle.

Play with the clutch with the engine lid open. Have someone listen to the power steering area. In theory the two should be unrelated...in theory. But you could check. It is a common problem with these cars.

I will try this today

Is your pentosin level low???? Redish dark stain on the floor in the right rear area of the car that is not oil in color? Ask me how I know.

:)
The Pentosin was low, but this was caused by an un-related problem. More of a green/yellow color.

Good luck. I assume your brake fluid is ok up in the clutch reservoir under the plastic over in the left side of the trunk just in front of the driver's dash....

The brake fluid was between the min and max line. There was signs of a small leakage up front around this reservoir.

Jeff

jcb-memphis 03-16-2009 02:38 PM

My front area has been steady at full for months...you may have a gt2 upgrade kit leak. I'd make sure the flammable end (pentosin) is squared away and then deal with the front. My indy did mine, so I'd likely go to him if I had the same problem. They might have ways to test the lines....

That little leak up front sounds like the issue...you could try to have somene listen there as you exercise the clutch too.

Jeff

NineNineSixTT 03-18-2009 12:10 AM

UPDATE:

Today i noticed that when i engage the clutch, throughout most of it, it makes a squeaking sound that appears to be coming from the front of the car.

I also checked the reservoir up front, and it appears it is continuing to leak. I really don't know what is causing the leak. It appears to be coming from the top. Possibly a bad reservoir/cap or the clutch master cylinder?

It's still very close to the max line. I also spotted a few clumps of soft stuff inside the reservoir.

Anyone with any knowledge of these findings, please chime in.

Prche951 03-18-2009 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT (Post 2306215)
UPDATE:

Today i noticed that when i engage the clutch, throughout most of it, it makes a squeaking sound that appears to be coming from the front of the car.

I also checked the reservoir up front, and it appears it is continuing to leak. I really don't know what is causing the leak. It appears to be coming from the top. Possibly a bad reservoir/cap or the clutch master cylinder?

It's still very close to the max line. I also spotted a few clumps of soft stuff inside the reservoir.

Anyone with any knowledge of these findings, please chime in.

Is it possible that the pentosin pressure system is going even higher in pressure causing leaks since it does not have the clutch cycling to drop pressure?

The only way to know this would be if the steering pump for the GT2 is different than the Turbo. If they are the same then I guess I am wrong what I am theorizing, but if the pump is different then there has to be something to the pressure in the turbo pentosin reservoir that does not have it's clutch setup...

NineNineSixTT 03-18-2009 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Prche951 (Post 2306340)
Is it possible that the pentosin pressure system is going even higher in pressure causing leaks since it does not have the clutch cycling to drop pressure?

The only way to know this would be if the steering pump for the GT2 is different than the Turbo. If they are the same then I guess I am wrong what I am theorizing, but if the pump is different then there has to be something to the pressure in the turbo pentosin reservoir that does not have it's clutch setup...

Thanks for chiming in. Good question.

Going to try and play with it, and see exactly where the sound is coming from.

Prche951 03-18-2009 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT (Post 2307019)
Thanks for chiming in. Good question.

Going to try and play with it, and see exactly where the sound is coming from.

good luck with it. I hope it has nothing to do with the pentosin system