996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hissing sound at top of clutch while in gear...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Hissing sound at top of clutch while in gear...

I've noticed a hissing sound when i'm at the top of the clutch right before i disengage it. It only happens while i am in gear.

Anyone have this problem before? Or know what is causing it?

My setup:
Evoms stage 4 clutch
Aasco lightweight flywheel
GT2 slave conversion

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
I do too and I'm stock.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by David9962000
I do too and I'm stock.
Thanks for your input David. Anyone else have experience with this?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
No one has had this problem, or heard of it?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Never heard of this before and I have been in many TT's. Weird...

Are there any other symptoms, like the car running strange or where the noise is coming from? any liquid spots on the floor of the garage? is it a constant hiss or does it change pitch with the pedal stroke until it's gone?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
Never heard of this before and I have been in many TT's. Weird...

Are there any other symptoms, like the car running strange or where the noise is coming from? any liquid spots on the floor of the garage? is it a constant hiss or does it change pitch with the pedal stroke until it's gone?
The tone does change a bit as i modulate the pedal, but its constant(sound won't die out at this point, unless i engage clutch fully or disengage).

I checked the reservoir up front, and it appears to have leaked. I cleaned up the leak, put a new clamp under it, topped it off with dot4 brake fluid (gt2 slave conversion), and closed it back up.

I have noticed certain signs, but i maybe just paranoid.
-sometimes its a bit hard to take out of gear.
-i feel a small vibration in the clutch pedal.

I'm really not sure if i'm just feeling things, cause i think theres something wrong.

Also the sound comes from the back. I'm assuming near the tranny/motor. (quite hard to listen for)

Thanks for your input

Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT
The tone does change a bit as i modulate the pedal, but its constant(sound won't die out at this point, unless i engage clutch fully or disengage).

I checked the reservoir up front, and it appears to have leaked. I cleaned up the leak, put a new clamp under it, topped it off with dot4 brake fluid (gt2 slave conversion), and closed it back up.

I have noticed certain signs, but i maybe just paranoid.
-sometimes its a bit hard to take out of gear.
-i feel a small vibration in the clutch pedal.

I'm really not sure if i'm just feeling things, cause i think theres something wrong.

Also the sound comes from the back. I'm assuming near the tranny/motor. (quite hard to listen for)

Thanks for your input

Hmm, I wonder if it is the beginnings of your accumulator/slave/steering pump going? I would at least check all of that, since the pentosin is the source of several burned up 996's. Maybe some of the guys that have had theirs fail will chime in and see if they had similar noises.

good luck with it.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
Hmm, I wonder if it is the beginnings of your accumulator/slave/steering pump going? I would at least check all of that, since the pentosin is the source of several burned up 996's. Maybe some of the guys that have had theirs fail will chime in and see if they had similar noises.

good luck with it.
I don't think there is an accumulator in my setup anymore.

I did have a pentosin leak, but it was fixed last week.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ring-leak.html

I wonder if the power steering still has any connection with the slave setup since i converted to the gt2 slave? Cause technically they run different fluids now.

Anyone with anything they can share, please do...

Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I heard some where that to test the slave, you pump the clutch pedal 25 times without the car started, and its support to get really stiff if the slave is bad. Any truth to this?

I tried this, and there was no change in stiffness after 25.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor
BEN@autoscope will become famous soon enoughBEN@autoscope will become famous soon enough
The noise you are hearing might be the accumulator, the whole point of pumping, the pedal is to depressurize the clutch hydraulic system so that you dont get hurt when opening the system since your power steering pump runs both your steering and clutch hydraulic. I would check the level of the fluid in the rear resivour and the clutch front resivour and bleed the system by turning the wheel lock to lock and pumping clutch pedal at the same time. If the noise is still there when the system is bleed out, turn off the car and pump pedal 50 times or so to be safe. Then take off the accumulator for the clutch system and place a pocket screw driver inside the hole if it falls into the hole the accumulator is bad and needs replaced. If it stays up your it good. Let me know if thats a help!

Thanks
Ben & Adam

Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by BEN@autoscope
The noise you are hearing might be the accumulator, the whole point of pumping, the pedal is to depressurize the clutch hydraulic system so that you dont get hurt when opening the system since your power steering pump runs both your steering and clutch hydraulic. I would check the level of the fluid in the rear resivour and the clutch front resivour and bleed the system by turning the wheel lock to lock and pumping clutch pedal at the same time. If the noise is still there when the system is bleed out, turn off the car and pump pedal 50 times or so to be safe. Then take off the accumulator for the clutch system and place a pocket screw driver inside the hole if it falls into the hole the accumulator is bad and needs replaced. If it stays up your it good. Let me know if thats a help!

Thanks
Ben & Adam
Thanks Ben & Adam, for the continued support.

I don't think i'm running a accumulator anymore. I have the gt2 master/slave conversion done. The clutch and power steering run different fluids now, therefore aren;t connected.

I saw this post:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/2013022-post6.html

I'm really starting to think its the TO bearing now. (stage 4 clutch with lwfw; mild chatter)

I wonder what release bearing/ TO bearing should i be replacing it with.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
The accumulator should be removed with the GT2 style clutch system he is running. Seems odd the hissing is clutch related, unless it has to do with the load on the engine and the cluch engagement is affecting engine load, thus the noise changes with clutch action.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for your input John. rep+

Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
The reservoir can make a noise if the valve is going/gone.....that is still in a car even if you have a GT2 evoms clutch mod like me...the power steering still is hooked up.

Jeff

Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
The reservoir can make a noise if the valve is going/gone.....that is still in a car even if you have a GT2 evoms clutch mod like me...the power steering still is hooked up.

Jeff
Thanks for chiming in Jeff. Could this noise only appear while the clutch pedal is near release?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hissing sound at top of clutch while in gear...