996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is this PS2 defective?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:06 AM
nice and low
KC996TT is on a distinguished road
Is this PS2 defective?

Hello,

Driving home last night on my less than 200 miles old PS2's; when I experience a blowout. Was doing a consistent 70 on flat wide open highway, pretty sure I did not hit anything. Loud noise and then it became apparent the L Front tire was going down. Car handled fine and I pulled over with no issues. Flat-bedded to the house as it was only a few miles. Anyway, here is what I found today; tear/cut about an inch long perpendicular to the rim. Does not have a smooth edge so I don't think it is a cut. I am thinking a defective tire.. Opinions? Came from Tire Rack via Imagine Auto..taking it to Stephen for his opinion tomorrow..

Thanks,

Scott

Old 10-04-2004, 03:10 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
Did you buy hazard insurance from tirerack as well?
They should cover it. Call damon directly.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:12 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
It's the 3rd blowout in a TT that I know of, including mine. It's really comforting to know that the car behaves extremely well under such conditions.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:21 AM
nice and low
Pics of PS2

Sorry, learning how to submit pictures..

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2004, 03:27 AM
nice and low
Ironically as I bought the tire via Imagine Auto I did not think about the hazard insurance until later and it was on my list of things to do.. Bummer for me!

Old 10-04-2004, 05:37 AM
Holger B is on a distinguished road
If it's a manufacturing defect (hard to say from the photo, but could be), Michelin should replace it for free. Work with the retailer first and if that doesn't get you anywhere, make a stink with Michelin.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:45 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
It doesn't appear to be defective. Whatever you hit embeded deep inside the tear. Note all the off white along the sidewall and inside the tear. Whatever you hit you had to feel it when it happened. Sidewalls are very soft.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:07 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Have a tire shop examine it. I believe the off-white
stuff is due to driving it to the shoulder on the sidewall,
and towing it onto the flatbed while the tire was flat...
When was the last time you checked the tire pressures?
Joe

Old 10-04-2004, 07:15 AM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Worst thing is that it severed Bib's arm !

Old 10-04-2004, 07:27 AM
nice and low
Thanks for the responses; I had not checked tire pressures as I assumed that they were set correctly by the fine team at Imagine less than two weeks ago when they were installed.. I cannot say for a fact that they had not lost any pressure.. We'll see what Porsche PhD says tomorrow.

Scott

Old 10-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Greyghost is on a distinguished road
Never assume anything with a car... as good as they may be. I took delivery of my tires and wheels with almost 60 lbs in each tire... insane!

Old 10-04-2004, 09:39 AM
offroad911 is on a distinguished road
I check my tires on both my 911 and CS weekly. This way I accomplish several things; first I assure maximum tread life and uniform tread wear. Second, I can tell immediately if I have a tire related problem due to penetration, leaking valve stem, etc. In fact, the first thing I do when I get any of my vehicles back from service is check the tires since I know the pressure is never right. I purchased a Moroso tire gauge for exact pressure measurement.

This **** retentive personality trait comes from having ridden touring motorcycle more than 1,000,000 miles without a tire related issue, testing tires for Dunlop, Bridgestone and Carlisle (when they made m/c tires). I present trailer towing seminars several times during each riding season and always spend time on tire inspection and checking pressure. I always have riders come to me later and thank me as they had pressure related issues they were unaware of!

The moral of this story is CHECK YOUR TIRES & PRESSURES FREQUENTLY and especially after service!

Last edited by offroad911; 10-04-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:42 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Question

I had PS2's installed yesterday on my Wife's CLK500 at a local shop that is a Tire Rack installer with a great reputation. There's only one guy there that works on the nice cars. I tipped him!!!
The pressure was way off on the tires and he forgot one lug nut!
They can't even find it!

Old 10-04-2004, 11:17 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
They were at proper pressure. I can assure that. I checked them personally. If you hear a pop then it is safe to assume that something was picked up or failed.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:00 PM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
Check it for a nail.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this PS2 defective?