6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   EVOMS 231.4 MPH GTXXX World Record Run - VIDEO (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/166885-evoms-231-4-mph-gtxxx-world-record-run-video.html)

deputydog95 04-04-2009 06:32 AM

I can't believe how effortlessly it up got to those speeds. It would have been awesome if there was a split screen where you see the tach/speedo climbing at the same time.

thankful 04-04-2009 08:21 AM

Would love to see a mod list and what was done to the car etc.

Needless to say - Great Job and Congratulations. This is always very cool to see. I love watching people push the envelop on these cars....

rdss 04-04-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Noah (Post 2330889)
I am. :-) Thanks. Why is there no consideration of the winds?

All the more important since it is not a two-way run.

you are envious because those guys made an EXCELLENT job with they PORSCHE 996 TT. AMAISING

WOODTSTER 04-04-2009 12:25 PM

I do not believe an air cooled car will ever break this new barrier, Eddie B (who obviously is quite accomplished), or anynone else. This new water cooled number
will be broken eventually too (probably by the same car, JoeTwint).

It's all good !!!

OhioGT2 04-04-2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Noah (Post 2330926)
So a record is broken, with no consideration of wind and temperature.
Those who play in it, better understand than those who wave a banner.

Your point is valid that conditions on Sat were ideal, allowing some to run 4-6 mph higher than Friday, but the fact is, this is an incredible mph for what I understand is a build that could be used as a nice weather daily driver. SW's 240+ runs are accomplished in a car his wife could not enjoy on a dinner date. Same with Bello's car, it's not a practical daily driver. Personally, I think Joe's 996 is the fastest true street car out there at the moment and has elevated the model in many people's eyes....

Noah 04-04-2009 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by OhioGT2 (Post 2331479)
Your point is valid that conditions on Sat were ideal, allowing some to run 4-6 mph higher than Friday, but the fact is, this is an incredible mph for what I understand is a build that could be used as a nice weather daily driver. SW's 240+ runs are accomplished in a car his wife could not enjoy on a dinner date. Same with Bello's car, it's not a practical daily driver. Personally, I think Joe's 996 is the fastest true street car out there at the moment and has elevated the model in many people's eyes....

The trials and sacrifices to develop a car as this are real. The speed, serious. To those who found offense in my remarks - particularly, Joe -
I offer my apology.
I agree and understand Joe's car accomplished the record with a heavier car. That is significant in a standing mile.

_Zac 04-04-2009 03:40 PM

Smooth as silk..

joetwint 04-04-2009 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by deputydog95 (Post 2331140)
I can't believe how effortlessly it up got to those speeds. It would have been awesome if there was a split screen where you see the tach/speedo climbing at the same time.

Speed Channel had a camera mounted on the cage in the center of the car which will probably show the tach/speedo while the car
was accelerating.Although i haven't seen the footage yet I am pretty sure they got it.The vid in this thread was from Evo's camera which was suctioned to the passenger door glass.

sharkster 04-04-2009 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by joetwint (Post 2331644)
Speed Channel had a camera mounted on the cage in the center of the car which will probably show the tach/speedo while the car
was accelerating.Although i haven't seen the footage yet I am pretty sure they got it.The vid in this thread was from Evo's camera which was suctioned to the passenger door glass.

Until I see a video there is no proof:D

I still thought it was funny the way the guy handing out the slip goes "You did pretty good, what do you think you ran?". Todd's response was spot on:D

joetwint 04-04-2009 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 2331666)
Until I see a video there is no proof:D

LOL

I still thought it was funny the way the guy handing out the slip goes "You did pretty good, what do you think you ran?". Todd's response was spot on:D

He hit it right on the head!And as you can see he really wasn't running it hard(he wasn't powershifting).On friday when I drove it on the first pass it was only supposed to be a 180mph shakedown run atleast that is what Todd and I agreed upon ......until I asked John "any last minute advice"he replied " balls to the wall" .... the first 4 gears felt so good and so strong I stayed in it and after hesitating between 5th and 6th off the gas(because the front pan went flying)and then getting back on it and still running 221 I told Todd "your not gonna believe me but it will go 5mph faster without changing a thing.....except maybe my underwear" he laughed and said "so much for a shakedown pass"...Good times!Saturday Todd and I swapped cars on the first pass.He came back after 223 mph and said "I was really easy on it and it still went 223 its gonna go 230 no problem" So he headed right back to the grid......Sure as **** he was pretty darn close.We only made 3 passes with it all over 221 and never touched a thing on the car.All the hard work these guys had put into this car paid off.It was a pretty good feeling for everyone.

sharkster 04-04-2009 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by joetwint (Post 2331709)
He hit it right on the head!And as you can see he really wasn't running it hard(he wasn't powershifting).On friday when I drove it on the first pass it was only supposed to be a 180mph shakedown run atleast that is what Todd and I agreed upon ......until I asked John "any last minute advice"he replied " balls to the wall" .... the first 4 gears felt so good and so strong I stayed in it and after hesitating between 5th and 6th off the gas(because the front pan went flying)and then getting back on it and still running 221 I told Todd "your not gonna believe me but it will go 5mph faster without changing a thing.....except maybe my underwear" he laughed and said "so much for a shakedown pass"...Good times!Saturday Todd and I swapped cars on the first pass.He came back after 223 mph and said "I was really easy on it and it still went 223 its gonna go 230 no problem" So he headed right back to the grid......Sure as **** he was pretty darn close.We only made 3 passes with it all over 221 and never touched a thing on the car.All the hard work these guys had put into this car paid off.It was a pretty good feeling for everyone.

I wish I'd gone out to see it but luckily it'll be on TV... I got scared doing 113mph in the 1/8th so I'd have to double up on underwear. I watched that too and it looked like a Sunday drive (ok Saturday). No crazy shifting... nada. So I guess for marketing purposes, "So fast it'll blow your under-panels and pants off?"

joetwint 04-04-2009 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 2331718)
"So fast it'll blow your under-panels and pants off?"

hilarious That works.

sharkster 04-04-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by joetwint (Post 2331725)
hilarious That works.

That's been field tested too:D

It's been quite a journey I know but wow what a car... Looks stock-ish too:D I wonder what the folks in Europe think of this:o

joetwint 04-05-2009 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by thankful (Post 2331187)
Would love to see a mod list and what was done to the car etc.

Details on the build are herehttps://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...996-turbo.html
and it is still developing.More to come soon and thanks for looking.:)

joetwint 04-05-2009 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by unvmym3 (Post 2330900)

anychance of an outside video? id love to hear that thing take off.

Yes,I believe VRalex has some vid of it crossing the mile as well as Speed Channel was taping the on both ends.I will let everyone know if it gets aired.:)