996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why is Oil dripping out of compressor housing on stock k16 turbos into intercooler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:01 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Why is Oil dripping out of compressor housing on stock k16 turbos into intercooler?

It's obviously normal to have a little oil but a good amount all of a sudden dripping into the compressor housing from I believe the intake is very very strange as I was filling the car up with oil?

What makes this strange is I was doing spark plugs today and figured I'd change the oil too at the same time since I was under the car. I had the intercoolers off and a perfect view of the turbo's. I poured in about 7 quarts without chaning the oil filter and was planning on filling it up as the car warmed up. As soon as i get done filling the car oil on the DRIVERS side turbo oil had a handful oil dripping out of the compressor housing since the intercooler was off, it would have pooled up there if the intercooler was on the car.

So possible caused of oil coming out of turbo:

some kind of bad PCV/oil separator valve

I'm confused and its not coming fromt he intake but the actual oil seals on the turbo. The compressor side of the turbo has bad oil seals and somehow just by filling the car with oil it leaks out of the compressor.

maybe it's completely normal...car runs perfect and doesn't leak, or burn oil besides the very small normal amount for Porsche turbos. It's a stock k16 turbos with a EPL flash and straight pipes.

Any opinions would be great.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:03 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Did you drain oil from both the oil sump tank and the crank case?

I think you may have overfilled the oil.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
turbo turbo is on a distinguished road
this happend to me too. my case was that i put to much oil in. i drained the oil, put new oil in,right amout this time, problem solved. i other thing when i started it smoked for awile till it burnt the oil off in the turbos..

Old 04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
rear drain plug and turbos. dont think I overfilled it since I drained everything and added may 7-7.75 qts at the most

Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
I think you missed draining the oil tank(by passeger rear wheel) which would mean you overfilled by about 4-5 qts

Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Bingo! I've only had the car a couple months and did one oil change. I forgot about the oil tank on the passenger side even though I did it last time. I guess no harm, especially since I didn't even turn it on. 6Speeders comes through! Thanks.