996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question about Light Weight Flywheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:04 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
opps mine just started stalling when coming to a stop,not every time however so now i just keep the rpms up and no prob (a little hear toe action works fine)

Old 05-17-2009, 03:02 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Ari, read this. I hope it helps.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-opinion.html
For the record, the car has never stalled. Even when I carefully back her up in to the garage. I think it really depends on how light the flywheel is. Some are as light as 7 to 8 lbs and some weigh in at 10 to 13.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:48 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Rattle is not that much to consider...it occures only at idle when stationary...Apart from this everything else is fine...It is the fifth car i installed a LWFW and i will do it again on my next car...(if any...I love my 996TT)

Old 05-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Stalling an be corrected with a tune. The idle can be bumped up a bit as well to "rid" some of the chattering.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Rattle at idle only. Stalling only when taking off in traffic sometimes not much....stalling at launch...never had one

Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
The main advantage to the LWFW is that the throttle response improves (engine feels alive) a lot in between shifts and downshifts. It allows you to accurately match the engine speed to gear selected. The result is smoother faster shifting. Great for spirited driving on curves and especially on track.
The rattle they talk about is the planetary gear in the trans reacting to the engine vibration which the dual mass cancels out.
(BTW you don't feel these vibrations in the driveline.)and noise is
minor and a little more when the trans gets warmed up.
Stalling has not been an issue for me . A quick Blip of the throttle and you are all set. Double clutcing and heel and toe is easier and fun.
If you are just a drag racer you do better DM as stated.
If you are into road driving or track work LWFW is the way to go.
Hope that gives you a little different perspective.
Elliot

Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have a UMW LWFW and have only stalled once in 2 years and zillions of shifts. The performance payback is huge. And, per Kevin, it puts less stress on the bearing of the motor...I'd call him to discuss that. I went ot test drive a non LWFW car and it was slower feeling...996 GT3. Just FYI.

Jeff

Old 05-17-2009, 08:56 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Clutch

I just purchased Kevin's LWFW clutch & am very happy. I contacted a couple of the fellow 6speeders who have this system to do my homework. I just got the car back on Friday from my indie. A couple of observations in the 150 miles of driving yesterday & today.
1. The car is much more responsive. ie. spools up much more quickly.
2. The clutch does chatter when the clutch is out an accelerating. The clutch occurs from 0-2500 rpm. As soon as 2500 rpm is reached, the sound goes away.
3. The chatter also occurs under full acceleration.
4. The clutch no longer slips, which makes me very happy.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I get rattling up to about 2000 rpm if I'm not accelerating very fast.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
I have noticed rattling (with varying intensity from very very minor to noticable) under these conditions:

1. idle
2. A/C on
<snip>
AH, thank you for mentioning the A/C! I had forgotten about that. At idle with the clutch out it will rattle. Turn on the A/C and my Supra sounded like a cement mixer had just pulled up! The added load of the A/C and only slightly higher idle speed made some pretty ugly sounds. Generally though I never left my car just idling...