996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

FVD Aluminum Intake Plenum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 07:46 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
http://www.akkuratpgi.com/galleries/?gallery=sharky

I've got some more pictures up on the updates page of the intake installed

Old 10-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by sharkster
I believe Gemballa has something similair but it's just the hoses and not the front alluminium piece.
Incorrect . . . the Gemballa intake also includes an upgraded aluminum splitter -- its necessary to accomodate the larger hoses.

Craig

Old 10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
RacerX is infamous around these parts
how does the fvd piece compare to the SCARGO intake??? i have the scargo piece and notice it to be much noiser as far as intake noise almost makes the car sound like its running NOS.....hope this is normal.....not to mention i have just dynomat laid down with normal carpet as reus audio took out the rear carpet with all that pad

Old 10-28-2004, 11:18 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Craig
Incorrect . . . the Gemballa intake also includes an upgraded aluminum splitter -- its necessary to accomodate the larger hoses.

Craig
Hi Craig thanks for the clarification on that... It looks like it has 1/3 of the full piece.. it still reuses the first piece of the stock plenum?

Old 10-28-2004, 11:28 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Isn't aluminum a heat sink? Won't this increase your inatke air temperatures? Can we have a picture of the inside of these hoses? Are they smooth or ringed (restrictive)?

Old 10-28-2004, 11:04 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
These kit's look like standard type hose clamps are used. I wonder why they don't come with high quality T clamp styled for better secured sealing? Seems like for the price they should include these. Those clamps look cheesy. Just a matter of time before they come loose. Then it becomes a mjor hassle to just tighten hose clamps.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:25 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Craig:Gemballa's kit did not perform well which is why FVD Germany set out to make their own. Otherwise we would have just sold theirs

RacerX:I personally have not been in a car with the intake, but have not heard anyone say it gets that much louder... The CF is a hard material so I am sure it sounds different than hose, however anytime you make the intake larger it passes more air which will cause more noise.

CJV:As far as I knew Aluminum was very good with heat?? I guess I will have to ask my professor in school .
As for the hoses, the inside is very smooth. There has to be small ridges to allow for flexability, but they are not big enough to be restrictive. I don't have a photo on my computer, but will try and grab one for you today.

Oak: FVD Germany tried and sent us a number of clamps, these were the best of the bunch. They are not cheesy at all, they are very strong and I would be very surprised if they ever came loose.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Oak,

The intake side (pre-turbo) is not under pressure until after the turbochargers... doesn't take much at all to hold the hoses in place forever.

As for the al plenum acting as a heat sink... the incoming air spends so little time in the actual plenum that rise in temp due to heat transfer will be almost negligible, especially relative to the rise in temp experienced after the air is compressed. There will be more heat transfer if you're barely moving or stuck in traffic, but once moving, not a big deal.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:49 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by StephenTi
Oak,

The intake side (pre-turbo) is not under pressure until after the turbochargers... doesn't take much at all to hold the hoses in place forever.

As for the al plenum acting as a heat sink... the incoming air spends so little time in the actual plenum that rise in temp due to heat transfer will be almost negligible, especially relative to the rise in temp experienced after the air is compressed. There will be more heat transfer if you're barely moving or stuck in traffic, but once moving, not a big deal.
Very good explination, remember this is the intake side, not exhaust...
Evan

Old 10-29-2004, 04:52 AM
Yups lot's of "sucking" and not pressure.. The pressure side are my red hoses which are just fine and dandy too

Old 10-29-2004, 05:51 AM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
how crazy is the install? How many hours?

josh.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:47 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Were the testing for these done on a stock tt or on a modified one? I'm basically asking if someone with a stock tt installed these, would he/she get around the same HP increase?

Old 10-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by phillym5
how crazy is the install? How many hours?

josh.
On a 6speed it's not bad to do at all. A good few hours maybe 3-5? Depends on who... Stephen said he can do it in 2 hours flat

Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 03-turbo911
Were the testing for these done on a stock tt or on a modified one? I'm basically asking if someone with a stock tt installed these, would he/she get around the same HP increase?
I am sorry, I forgot to mention, this 20HP was gain on our Level 4 car (rated at 575BHP). We have not tested a stock car!!
Again sorry,
Evan
PS-Josh, YOU NEED THIS .
PPS-I am sold out of these, I have more coming Nov. 9th, but only ONE left unsold!! If you are interested get your order in now, next shipment after that will be 2-3 weeks!!

Old 10-29-2004, 11:46 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by AMG ETR
I am sorry, I forgot to mention, this 20HP was gain on our Level 4 car (rated at 575BHP). We have not tested a stock car!!
Again sorry,
Evan
PS-Josh, YOU NEED THIS .
PPS-I am sold out of these, I have more coming Nov. 9th, but only ONE left unsold!! If you are interested get your order in now, next shipment after that will be 2-3 weeks!!
Evan,

Twenty hp is more than I would have guessed. That is actually close to the cf intake which makes twenty-six. It is definitely more durable than the cf intake.

What does it weigh?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FVD Aluminum Intake Plenum