996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Refinishing Wheels: What about valve stems and lugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Refinishing Wheels: What about valve stems and lugs?

So I'm going to have my turbo twists painted black, but how do I handle the valve stems and lugs? I assume that you still need the valve stems "un-screwable," but I obviously don't want to leave them the stock silver color if the wheels are black. (That makes me wonder about the caps, as well.) I figure that's the easiest part, though. What do I do with the lugs? Paint can't be an option, as I assume that I'll damage the paint as soon as I put the new wheels on and tighten them up. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I powdercoated my wheels. I removed the stems to coat them and re installed after. Never painted the stems, don't even notice them. To me it's not worth the aggravation.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
So I'm going to have my turbo twists painted black, but how do I handle the valve stems and lugs? I assume that you still need the valve stems "un-screwable," but I obviously don't want to leave them the stock silver color if the wheels are black. (That makes me wonder about the caps, as well.) I figure that's the easiest part, though. What do I do with the lugs? Paint can't be an option, as I assume that I'll damage the paint as soon as I put the new wheels on and tighten them up. Thanks for any help.
I'd suggest powdercoat for the lugs. It's much more durable then paint. However, you'll still need to exercise a bit care when taking them on and off.