996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

B&M question....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 04:58 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
TP, I probably have said this before, but it bears repeating. You are a tremendous wealth of knowledge with this stuff, and I, for one, appreciate your contributions to this (and other) boards. Amazing stuff, man. Keep it coming.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:18 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
I thought the Porsche SSK included the base, too??

Old 11-12-2004, 06:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Tool Pants
I
If someone had a problem with the B&M and the problem went away with the Porsche unit then the only guess I have is that the B&M was not put in properly or adjusted properly or their driving style changed.

The senior tech installed my b&M shifter.
i just came back from the dealer( loeber motors)... i saw preliminary write ups about the shifter... these are intercompany from main office. the tech is looking for me for the original memo with full explanation... among which states that anyone with "B&M" shifter in the car must be reported and thus voids transmission warranties if any in the future). I read it myself 2 months ago. I'm not kidding nor joking.. nor am I promoting any product. I liked the b&M shifter.. except at the track when I had to go 100% from 1st to second. also, the pics above do not show the fact that one is shorter then the other...i know I had both.
my problem went away... the senior tech is all over this... we spent 1 hour looking for the memo... we only found preliminary comments... but i will definately make sure we find it.
anyone had both the b&M shifter and the porshe short shifter?
after spending $50k on aftermarket products... i think that common sense will tell you that an extra $480 will not hurt my pocket for preventive purposes... just like the 5 bar fuel pressure regulator I have... it doesnt make my car faster or better.... it just gives me a peace of mind that I'm not running too lean...(with a level 4 upgrade).
I had the b&M.. i liked it a lot... but I feel safer with the new one... and I dont hesitate going hard into 2nd like I used too. it seems like most of the guys here are partial to one product cause they only had one of the two in question.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 11-12-2004 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:16 AM
Tool Pants is on a distinguished road
I think you need some proof.

And how in the world does a mechanic or his/her employing dealership report a B&M shift to PCNA. Pick up the phone and call??? Who. What telephone number? How is this info communicated to PCNA.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by Rob
I thought the Porsche SSK included the base, too??
They didn't originally, but they do now.

Old 11-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I think you need some proof.

And how in the world does a mechanic or his/her employing dealership report a B&M shift to PCNA. Pick up the phone and call??? Who. What telephone number? How is this info communicated to PCNA.
the same way you get reported for having 19 inch rims (on a turbo) ... its in the intercompany policy.
I will get the memo... we looked for the original but had no luck today... found other preliminary notes about the short shifters... give me a little time.... i will make my best to get it.

click to view

Old 11-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
I would believe that the service manager records this info in your service records. Nothing more. If, down the road, you have trouble, and they search back to find the notes about what was added to the vehicle, they might hold that out as the cause. It would suck. I doubt, however, that a tech who sees the 19" wheel, the B&M, or other mod, calls the Porsche Tech Line to log it.

Old 11-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Basic Sponsor
"I doubt, however, that a tech who sees the 19" wheel, the B&M, or other mod, calls the Porsche Tech Line to log it."

i agree... but its true and probably happens at some dealerships.
I recall leaving my car for some work and had to make sure it was not on a day when the district manager was not in town... was told quietly by the service advisor. there is nothing stock about my car.... rims, turbos, suspension.. etc.

click to view

Old 11-12-2004, 08:20 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Wow some of you guys are more stubborn than I even am
Look guys, what Markski is saying is 100% true. Before I worked for FVD I had the B&M, my car missed and grinded 2nd gear all the time. Also I confirmed with two dealers that there was a buletin about the shifter. They report it by putting it in your file and use it in the future as Eric said. Once I began working for FVD I put our shifter in and this 2nd gear trouble went away completely. I am on 15,000 miles on this shifter now and (knock on wood) never missed a gear or had a problem.

As for the Porsche shifter...IT IS NOT THE SAME!!!! I do not know the exact differences, but I have been told by many people (including dealers) there are differences. Why would you guys make comments to Markski about buying one... A lousy $500 shifter is a lot better than a $14,000+ tranny no? We were the ones that replace Markski's 1st tranny due to the B&M so trust me he is not lying.
Evan

Old 11-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by AMG ETR
Also I confirmed with two dealers that there was a buletin about the shifter. They report it by putting it in your file and use it in the future as Eric said. Evan
So, where is a copy of his bulletin, memo, whatever? Should end the saga.

Making a note in the service file at you local dealer is not how this thread started out.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:01 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
So, where is a copy of his bulletin, memo, whatever? Should end the saga.

Making a note in the service file at you local dealer is not how this thread started out.
I have no reason to ask for it, the parts manager is a good friend and would lie about it (He has no reason to, even if I bought it from him I would get it for his cost).
Evan
PS-Reporting it means marking it when they see it, and actually telling Porsche if/when somthing goes wrong...thats how REPORTING it works..

Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
i'm working on it.... its been over 2 months since the memo... we went thure a few hundred pages today.... I found preliminary comments about a"aftermarket shifter"... but Im looking for the "b&M" specific memo.
might take me a few days... I did not think this would go this far... plus Im wasting a senior technitians $39/hour time... so please be patient.

click to view

Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Then go back and ask for a copy.

We all want to see it.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:15 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by MARKSKI
plus Im wasting a senior technitians $39/hour time...
Only $39/hour? Wow.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Wow some of you guys are more stubborn than I even am
Not stubborn, just wanting to get to the facts as best we can.

As for the Porsche shifter...IT IS NOT THE SAME!!!! I do not know the exact differences, but I have been told by many people (including dealers) there are differences.
I have looked at both side by side and they look exactly the same mechanically. My mechanic at the dealership said they were the same. With my B&M I have never had a problem with any 1-2 shift no matter what the shifting conditions. There are obviously two sides to this issue, and there is a valid answer out there.

Why would you guys make comments to Markski about buying one...
I don't know how others feel, but I could care less what shifter he has. What I do care about is getting the right word out about these two shifters so people can make an educated decision. And Porsche putting pressure on someone who has a B&M should not cause him to remove it, and it should not stop people from buying one. They work great if installed and adjusted correctly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: B&M question....