996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How Getting Into Boost Impacts Reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Banned
Accomplice is on a distinguished road
How Getting Into Boost Impacts Reliability

If I take the plunge into a 996TT I'll probably do the EVO Stage IV or V soon after buying the car. If the car is a daily driver and the extra (above stock) boost that is on tap is only exploited in a few short bursts per week is it really going to impact the life of the engine that much? I really need to find out what the highest state of tune one should dial in if they really value rock solid reliability over eeking out the very last few HP.

I've owned two Supras in the past and the safe boost limits for those stock turbos was well known before I dove in. I drove the wheels off of them and was into max boost all the time. Never once did they give any issues. I'm older now (33) and hope I'd be a little more restrained so as not to incur possibly expensive fixes that would come with a broken turbo Porsche. Is it hard to keep your foot out of extra boost when you have that kind of power on tap?

Kevin

Old 09-22-2003, 04:15 PM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
If you start out with a stockTTand religiously follow this forum, you'll soon find yourself wanting more and more power. It's a given!

Go for the stage IV and have a blast. However, good luck restraining yourself from getting on the boost as often as you can!

Im fortunate enough to use my car as a daily driver (approx 30-40 miles) with approx 500HP on tap and enjoy every mile of my commute. Im already looking into larger turbos, etc.

Old 09-22-2003, 04:34 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
It shouldn't hinder it much at all. That's the great thing about a TC, is you can basically drive the car around like it's NA and never hit boost. I think you'll be perfectly fine

Old 09-22-2003, 05:00 PM
racer63 is on a distinguished road
Re: How Getting Into Boost Impacts Reliability

Originally posted by Accomplice
Is it hard to keep your foot out of extra boost when you have that kind of power on tap?

Kevin
It's not hard for me to show restraint because the car is soooo much faster than everything else that I run across in my daily commute. If I don't show restraint, I'll end up looking like a real a$$hole driving to and from work.

In contrast, with previous cars that I've owned (e36 M3 with only suspension mods, 300ZXTT lightly modded, 94 RX7 lightly modded, etc.), they weren't *that* much faster than the rest of the cars on the road.

To enjoy the power of the EVO 4gt, I have to be pretty selective as to when and where I do it... for example, I'll go out canyon carving, find a road away from the masses, or go out early in the am... Or I'll just accelerate like a bat out of hell from 0-75 getting onto the freeway when others are not around.

As to reliability, I *believe* that the engine can handle the extra power of stage 4 or 4gt without adversely impacting reliability. But, I am just a business owner by day and race car driver on the weekends - not an automotive engineer or engine builder. So, I have to rely on the experience of others that I trust, such as Todd at EVO.