6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Spacers and tire shops (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/185167-spacers-tire-shops.html)

DEEPBLUE 09-11-2009 07:39 AM

Spacers and tire shops

Want to give the forum a heads up on an issue I had at Discount tire last night. I've been a repeat customer for a couple years, they know me and my cars well. I Went to get another set of rear tires last night (interestingly the wear is a perfect 2 rears for every 1 front with the Kumhos). I have the Porsche rear spacers and they balked at doing anywork whatsoever because company policy on "aftermarket spacers". It took a few minutes of telling them repeatedly and showing them on the porsche www that these are a Porsche part and factory option before they accepted that. No idea if its an actual factory option but cant imagine it wouldnt be.

They must have been burned recently, anyway, wanted to give folks with spacers a heads up.

landjet 09-11-2009 02:15 PM

What size spacers are you using and are you still on stock wheels? Also, do you do any DE's with them on?

frog1 09-11-2009 09:11 PM

I get 2 rears sets for 1 fronts on Michelin PS2 as well. It seems like the norm. about 10Kmiles per set, in "normal" use.

DEEPBLUE 09-12-2009 12:40 AM

22mm in the rear, I havent done any DE's this year but do drive somewhat "spirited" often.

Originally Posted by landjet (Post 2536412)
What size spacers are you using and are you still on stock wheels? Also, do you do any DE's with them on?

Turbo Fanatic 09-12-2009 01:12 AM

I run 1" spacers on my otherwise stock acura TL . Im my experience spacers can significantly improve the handling of almost any car. They removed my spacers and put them in the trunk.

They said it was a liability. They suggested I add 10 lb or torque at each corner to make sure they didn't come loose.

landjet 09-12-2009 08:10 AM

Anyone run spacers at the track?

landjet 09-12-2009 09:33 AM

What stories have you heard?

m5guy 09-12-2009 11:50 AM

I've encountered the same "no spacers" policy at my local America's Tire, the sister chain to Discount Tire (same parent company.) Now I just take my wheels off in the garage and run them over to their store in my truck whenever I need them balanced.

FAST FWD 09-12-2009 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by landjet (Post 2537231)
Anyone run spacers at the track?

I have been using spacers in the rear the last couple of events. I started it because I had an issue with some of the standard wheel bolts (long story, not for the forum), and I had some spacers and longer bolts that came with the car. My car has been handling really well, so I have continued to use them. These are the thinner ones (7mm?). I am out of the country so I can't check them for you.

They give you a wider track, which reduces weight transfer. But I really doubt that it makes that much difference, at my skill level. I am very pleased to report that I have made 6 days on my current set of Michelin PSC's, and expect to get 3 more next month at Road America. That's the alignment, though, not the spacers.

How do you like your new suspension setup?

Jon

landjet 09-13-2009 09:50 AM

Love it. I'm about to do the write up but still dialing it in. Think I destroyed one of my rear tires at VIR. Camber at 2.14 I believe in the back. 2.25 in front. Any suggestions?

Vandit 09-13-2009 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by m5guy (Post 2537417)
I just take my wheels off in the garage and run them over to their store in my truck whenever I need them balanced.

This. /thread