996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spacers and tire shops

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Spacers and tire shops

Want to give the forum a heads up on an issue I had at Discount tire last night. I've been a repeat customer for a couple years, they know me and my cars well. I Went to get another set of rear tires last night (interestingly the wear is a perfect 2 rears for every 1 front with the Kumhos). I have the Porsche rear spacers and they balked at doing anywork whatsoever because company policy on "aftermarket spacers". It took a few minutes of telling them repeatedly and showing them on the porsche www that these are a Porsche part and factory option before they accepted that. No idea if its an actual factory option but cant imagine it wouldnt be.

They must have been burned recently, anyway, wanted to give folks with spacers a heads up.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:15 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
What size spacers are you using and are you still on stock wheels? Also, do you do any DE's with them on?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 PM
frog1 is on a distinguished road
I get 2 rears sets for 1 fronts on Michelin PS2 as well. It seems like the norm. about 10Kmiles per set, in "normal" use.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:40 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
22mm in the rear, I havent done any DE's this year but do drive somewhat "spirited" often.

Originally Posted by landjet
What size spacers are you using and are you still on stock wheels? Also, do you do any DE's with them on?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I run 1" spacers on my otherwise stock acura TL . Im my experience spacers can significantly improve the handling of almost any car. They removed my spacers and put them in the trunk.

They said it was a liability. They suggested I add 10 lb or torque at each corner to make sure they didn't come loose.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:10 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Anyone run spacers at the track?

Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 AM
What stories have you heard?

Old 09-12-2009, 11:50 AM
m5guy is on a distinguished road
I've encountered the same "no spacers" policy at my local America's Tire, the sister chain to Discount Tire (same parent company.) Now I just take my wheels off in the garage and run them over to their store in my truck whenever I need them balanced.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:15 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Anyone run spacers at the track?
I have been using spacers in the rear the last couple of events. I started it because I had an issue with some of the standard wheel bolts (long story, not for the forum), and I had some spacers and longer bolts that came with the car. My car has been handling really well, so I have continued to use them. These are the thinner ones (7mm?). I am out of the country so I can't check them for you.

They give you a wider track, which reduces weight transfer. But I really doubt that it makes that much difference, at my skill level. I am very pleased to report that I have made 6 days on my current set of Michelin PSC's, and expect to get 3 more next month at Road America. That's the alignment, though, not the spacers.

How do you like your new suspension setup?

Jon

Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Love it. I'm about to do the write up but still dialing it in. Think I destroyed one of my rear tires at VIR. Camber at 2.14 I believe in the back. 2.25 in front. Any suggestions?

Last edited by landjet; 09-13-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Vandit has a spectacular aura aboutVandit has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by m5guy
I just take my wheels off in the garage and run them over to their store in my truck whenever I need them balanced.
This. /thread