Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

House battery power use while locked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 04:04 PM
TimeforaTee1 is infamous around these parts
House battery power use while locked

When not in use my 05 UK car is kept in a building unfortunately with no mains electricity, I run out an extension cord and charge it weekly irrespective of any driving use. As the building is quite secure my question is will the car use more power locked and alarmed or is it better to leave it unlocked. I did forget once and after about 12 days locked and alarmed it had drained the house battery fully. I know the real answer is to get power laid onto the building and keep it on charge permanently but as that would Involve digging a trench 100 yards long to bury the cable that job is quite far down a long list! If the car will use less power unlocked I'll still charge it weekly ( Chager is a CTEK MXS 5.0) Just looking to do the best for the house battery and keep the cycle level to a minimum, battery is 18 month old.
Many thanks in advance Chris

Old 05-15-2024, 06:24 AM
Carfool is infamous around these parts
Solar?

Solar panel depending climate

Old 05-15-2024, 12:59 PM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
from my experience - unlocked does not consume power as much as locked

when locked, yuo have the alarm and keyless armed - keyless is scanning all the time and takes power.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:43 PM
TimeforaTee1 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info and suggestion, I'll look into a solar panel it could be an acceptable stop gap solution. Also I'll do an experiment and see how it takes to fully charge when locked/unlocked over the same number days.
Regards Chris.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:26 PM
nyca is infamous around these parts
Forget solar. Buy one (or two) of those portable battery power units. Charge it up inside, then bring it outside to where the car is and attach the battery maintainer to it. Make sure you buy one with a visible meter that tells you how much charge is left. After a week (or two), go back to the car and see how much power is left. Disconnect the charger from the portable pack, charge it back up inside the house (couple of hours), and repeat the cycle. If its a long distance away to get to the car, buy two power units and carry a fully charged one back to the car and make the swap, take the depleted one home to recharge it for next week (or two). Battery maintainers don't draw much power once they reach the float stage.