Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Massive depreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Massive depreciation

So I'm selling my Vantage and so far I've gone to a few different places which offered $27, $30, $37, $39 and $42. I bought my 09 Vantage with 27k miles around two years ago for $71k, was the cheapest one I found in Autotrader. I only put 7k miles...

Is this normal? This is not a new car... what has been your experience if you ever sold one of these?

I'm thinking about listing it privately to see if I can get anything a bit more reasonable, but unsure how long it would take to sell.

A penny for your thoughts.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Wow. That's would hurt. Have you looked into selling it on consignment at an Aston Martin dealer?

That said, when I bought my 07 a while ago in the mid 50's (which was about the middle of the asking price spread at the time for a very low mile 07) I figured that within a few years it will be a low 30's car and then probably stay there for a long time.

For an 09, 42 seems like a real lowball, even from a dealer, and 27 would merit a hearty laugh or maybe a punch in the nose. Although for me, Sportshift puts it out of the question at any price. Just wouldn't be something I would be interested in. I wonder if that's true for the market overall?

Old 02-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I got $50k on trade for my 09 sportshift vantage with 43,000 miles on it 5 months ago, maybe wait till spring and sell it or consign it.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Trade-in value is typically much higher than having a dealer purchase the car from you outright. On a trade-in, there are other places in the deal for the dealer to make it look like they are giving you more for your trade-in.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Some of those prices... 27, 37 were for trade-in.

If you look online, they're selling privately for $45k. Where did you get $50k as trade in? Aston dealer?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Man, that's awful.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
The market is soft, but not that soft... Especially for an 09.

Take some high quality pictures inside & out (at around sunset... with a nice backdrop location) and post it on AutoTrader. Runs Till it sells is ~$70. See what similar cars are running on there and you will have a good baseline for listing price. (that may be the $45k you are seeing) Final sale price would likely be 5%-10% less depending on how long you want to wait. Mention all records, tire condition, service, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 02-05-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
The market is soft, but not that soft... Especially for an 09.

Take some high quality pictures inside & out (at around sunset... with a nice backdrop location) and post it on AutoTrader. Runs Till it sells is ~$70. See what similar cars are running on there and you will have a good baseline for listing price. (that may be the $45k you are seeing) Final sale price would likely be 5%-10% less depending on how long you want to wait. Mention all records, tire condition, service, etc.

Good luck!
Yeah, cars selling at $45k with less miles...

Old 02-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Falcondrivr is on a distinguished road
The ASton sales cycle is a long one. I see cars on Autotrader that awere there when I was buying 10 months ago.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
The ASton sales cycle is a long one. I see cars on Autotrader that awere there when I was buying 10 months ago.
Exactly. Average selling time is roughly 130 days atm.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I got $50k trading in on used 15 GT for my 43,000 mile 09. The used GT had 3,000 miles, optioned up, and was 94k

Thought I got a fair deal

Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I got $50k trading in on used 15 GT for my 43,000 mile 09. The used GT had 3,000 miles, optioned up, and was 94k

Thought I got a fair deal
How many owners did your 09 have before you?

Also, that was 5 months ago, right?

Besides, you traded in at the Aston dealer, the $42k offer I'm probably going to take was at an Aston dealer not as trade in, they said if I got something from them they could work something better out.

Finally, I ran the car through a couple of brokers and the most they could get me was $39k. Said the 4 owner situation was not helping.

Seeing as my registration is due in a month, I don't see how I can wait ~1/2 year or more, to sell it at maybe a couple of grand more.

I think you did get a fair deal! Congrats.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:24 PM
I was actually also the 4th owner, one of them was a 1 year lease

Old 02-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I was actually also the 4th owner, one of them was a 1 year lease
Whoa... then yea you got a great deal when you traded it in... and/or the market has tanked in the last 5 months...

Also worth noting my car needs new front tires and brake pads.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:28 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
Originally Posted by Bleen
Whoa... then yea you got a great deal when you traded it in... and/or the market has tanked in the last 5 months...

Also worth noting my car needs new front tires and brake pads.
Ouch! Try and sell it yourself. As mentioned, lots of pics and detailed description.

I watched the market for the past year and never saw 09s below 50, let alone 60k. I bought my low mileage (13k) 07 V8V six months ago which was more expensive than others on the market but I really liked the lighter interior and it is flawless. Would have like to get a 4.7, but they were quite q bit more expensive. I only wanted a 6 speed though which limited my search to only about 1/3 of the cars out there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Massive depreciation