Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Massive depreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by spikemd
Ouch! Try and sell it yourself. As mentioned, lots of pics and detailed description.

I watched the market for the past year and never saw 09s below 50, let alone 60k. I bought my low mileage (13k) 07 V8V six months ago which was more expensive than others on the market but I really liked the lighter interior and it is flawless. Would have like to get a 4.7, but they were quite q bit more expensive. I only wanted a 6 speed though which limited my search to only about 1/3 of the cars out there.
Maybe manuals don't depreciate as much?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:09 PM
GT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant future
Having bought and sold a dozen astons for myself, 3 V8, 2 V12s, 4 DBS and 1 Vanquish in the past 5 years, I will say that the main things that will kill any resale for a decent buck is mileage above 25K, Sportshift and normal base colors... RIght off the bat, any car that fits in these criteria is worth **** to a dealership, let alone a broker. The car is worth 50K but no one cares to take a chance, Thats why they lowball trying to buy them.Put it on ebay for a 52K, settle for 48-49K. Its still an 09 which is way better than being stuck with an 07

Old 02-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Alpha8a is just really niceAlpha8a is just really niceAlpha8a is just really niceAlpha8a is just really niceAlpha8a is just really nice
OP are you moving into another car or just looking to sell the car? Just wondering what car has interested you.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Car is gone, sold to the dealer. Couldn't be bothered to wait 6 months to sell it, and having ~2k worth of maintenance due, plus reg, I decided to let it go. I enjoyed the car on and off, but mostly it felt like a constant paint in my backside.

I bought a BMW Z4 which echoes the most enjoyable car I ever owned, a Mercedes SLK.

Btw if anyone wants a set of clear aston tail lights, will all mounting hardware and the third break light too, send me a PM, I don't need them anymore.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
@Bleen not sure if this is even kosher to ask, but..... do you mind saying what you gave it up for if you can dechiper the actual number between the trade and purchase. ONLY reason why I am asking this, is for us looking it would be nice to see what dealers are giving which will help with negotiation process. Yes you have to take all factors in when pricing but pending the car prices for AM are all over the place. I have seen 7's priced the same as 9's and 8's lower than 6's. Thats even with low mileage cars. I don't know, its just a thought and would love to know, but even if your reserved at all to not say please don't. This is in no way to offend anyone. Thanks

Old 02-14-2016, 09:28 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Bleen
Car is gone, sold to the dealer. Couldn't be bothered to wait 6 months to sell it, and having ~2k worth of maintenance due, plus reg, I decided to let it go. I enjoyed the car on and off, but mostly it felt like a constant paint in my backside. I bought a BMW Z4 which echoes the most enjoyable car I ever owned, a Mercedes SLK. Btw if anyone wants a set of clear aston tail lights, will all mounting hardware and the third break light too, send me a PM, I don't need them anymore.
That was quick! How much did it trade for?? Will be sad to see you gone Pablo

Old 02-14-2016, 10:53 PM
Korntera has a spectacular aura aboutKorntera has a spectacular aura aboutKorntera has a spectacular aura about
I just sold my 07 V8V with power pack and 6mt for 43k with 33k miles and sold it in a day. List yours for 50 and I bet you will sell it quick. I was offered 40k on trade in for it.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Btw, if anyone wants clears, they're now listed on Ebay. Will sell them cheaper to forum members.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-20-2024 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Dead Link
Old 02-20-2016, 11:47 PM
Hedge500 is on a distinguished road
Aw MAN! I've been in the market for an 09 sport shift (black with black interior) and I've got a z4 35i I'm looking to move out of. Would have happily traded and given you in the 50s for your vantage. Wish I had seen this sooner.

May I ask why you got rid of the Aston for the z4? I certainly hope I don't have a case of "the grass is greener"

Car is gone, sold to the dealer. Couldn't be bothered to wait 6 months to sell it, and having ~2k worth of maintenance due, plus reg, I decided to let it go. I enjoyed the car on and off, but mostly it felt like a constant paint in my backside.

I bought a BMW Z4 which echoes the most enjoyable car I ever owned, a Mercedes SLK.

Btw if anyone wants a set of clear aston tail lights, will all mounting hardware and the third break light too, send me a PM, I don't need them anymore.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:11 AM
PNW
PNW is on a distinguished road
Btw, if anyone wants clears, they're now listed on Ebay. Will sell them cheaper to forum members.
Any idea if these would work with an early 08 DB9?

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-20-2024 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Ebay link/Dead
Old 02-21-2016, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Hedge500
Aw MAN! I've been in the market for an 09 sport shift (black with black interior) and I've got a z4 35i I'm looking to move out of. Would have happily traded and given you in the 50s for your vantage. Wish I had seen this sooner.

May I ask why you got rid of the Aston for the z4? I certainly hope I don't have a case of "the grass is greener"
I used to drive an SLK and later an M3. I definitely had a case of "the grass is greener". But each one is different.

Never had much of a good experience with the Aston... between the punishing suspension and the clunky sportshift transmission it was just not an enjoyable car to drive. I also realized I was overly worried about the car, so I moved into something more affordable. Was driving the aston twice a month at most, most of the times just so that the fluids would flow. Maybe I should have initially got the convertible, as that was one of the things I was missing.

The car always felt outdated, the lack of tech and interior rattles felt sour.

Might have moved the car too fast but the past 4 months while I was waiting for my pink slip (I messed up when registering it) were not a lot of fun.

I never had a car that left me on the side of the road once, and this one did that twice within the first 6 months I owned it. It felt like things were about to break all the time. I was worried taking it on road trips cause it felt like it could leave me stranded at any moment.

One of the last enjoyable things was to drive it hard on the canyons, as it has a beautiful chassis and engine. Alas, the suspension started creaking and the traction control was going crazy all the time when driving above 7/10 or so, so I couldn't even take it out there. Mechanics didn't know what was the issue. So... enough.

This car has turned me off exotics altogether, between reliability issues, hand built "quirkiness" and appalling depreciation... I'd rather have something I can enjoy any day.

Cost of owning this car is ridiculous... out of the top of my head, between depreciation, tax, service and repairs, it cost me over $40k in two years... for a 5 year old car!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:44 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
I used to drive an SLK and later an M3. I definitely had a case of "the grass is greener". But each one is different.

Never had much of a good experience with the Aston... between the punishing suspension and the clunky sportshift transmission it was just not an enjoyable car to drive. I also realized I was overly worried about the car, so I moved into something more affordable. Was driving the aston twice a month at most, most of the times just so that the fluids would flow. Maybe I should have initially got the convertible, as that was one of the things I was missing.

The car always felt outdated, the lack of tech and interior rattles felt sour.

Might have moved the car too fast but the past 4 months while I was waiting for my pink slip (I messed up when registering it) were not a lot of fun.

I never had a car that left me on the side of the road once, and this one did that twice within the first 6 months I owned it. It felt like things were about to break all the time. I was worried taking it on road trips cause it felt like it could leave me stranded at any moment.

One of the last enjoyable things was to drive it hard on the canyons, as it has a beautiful chassis and engine. Alas, the suspension started creaking and the traction control was going crazy all the time when driving above 7/10 or so, so I couldn't even take it out there. Mechanics didn't know what was the issue. So... enough.

This car has turned me off exotics altogether, between reliability issues, hand built "quirkiness" and appalling depreciation... I'd rather have something I can enjoy any day.

Cost of owning this car is ridiculous... out of the top of my head, between depreciation, tax, service and repairs, it cost me over $40k in two years... for a 5 year old car!

Sorry for the troubles you have had. This is not necessarily the ownership experience that many forum members have had. Number one thing I think I see with your initial purchase is the sport shift. Very few have said they like them, and they cause problems all over the place. Mainly due to people not learning how to drive them, they can be wonderful, but in the city and a female riding along, they get hated really quick. Plus the clutch worry tends to move people into the 6-speed. Most AM owners realize this after its too late, sorry if this was the case, and never learn to drive it. My buddy was the same with his Maser, never learned to drive the F1 tranny and his wife ultimately hated and refused to ride in it. Then he hated a wonderful car. Hope that made sense.

I have had similar issues as you where a car made me worry to death. However things need to be in perspective. Exotics (i think that name is really pertaining to AM or even Ferrari anymore, most are too main stream due to volume) have gotten a lot better over the years with reliability and due to economy makers like Ferrari have had to reevaluate owners due to many are DD. On ANY high end purchase a PPI must be done or your asking for financial issues. I am sure your issues were niggles that kept popping up. I had a Maserati QP that I loved but between the F1 tranny and the cam variator issue i was stressed beyond my comfort level. My worry was a 20k repair bill at the last moment on my DD with no spare would have been disastrous. Not a 4k clutch knowing it was combining up. I wasn't going to drain an account and that worried me with the car. Left me on the road once, but a 3k quote turned into a 200.00 fix by an independent. I think with these cars you need to be hands on, and a lot of issues are fixed, repaired, patched by you, not a trip and bill from dealer. That makes them have character, LOL.

I think for you a, AM purchased from a dealer used, but the AM CPO warranty would have suited you and kept you from worrying. That warranty if you have one, takes all the stress away, knowing nothing for the most part you have to worry about. Thats the purpose of it. Can make the ownership much more enjoyable for some. I wrench most myself or find a friend to help, only big items would be done by AM unless they offer a special.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Hedge500 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input Bleen. I'm a bit discouraged, and sorry you had to go through that. Reminds me of the "prettiest girl you ever dated" who was dumb as rocks and then ended up cheated on you.
I guess I'll stay put in my Z until and save up for an r8 spyder instead. (Aston is so blissfully pretty though...I don't know if I can resist)

Be wary of the z4 too though, I spent ~12k last year alone on repairs (not normal circumstances though, so no need to be too wary). Don't hit a pot hole (cost an astounding $8300 in damage, I needed a new steering rack and pinion among other things) the stock rims are insanely bad and crack (I had the bmw 296rims), I replaced 3 over my 2 years of ownership and 3 or 4 $400 run flats as they went due to the tires cracking. Pick up some new rims or keep my info and message me if you have 296rims, I have three with run flats sitting around.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:34 AM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hedge500
I guess I'll stay put in my Z until and save up for an r8 spyder instead. (Aston is so blissfully pretty though...I don't know if I can resist).
You are going to bypass Aston based on the experience of 1 owner?

Old 02-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I've had three Vantages - all were trouble free - the only two sportshift - the first (manual) 2007 I drove a very hard aggressive 25,000 miles in two years - still had good brakes! Only $$ expense was inspections, oil change and 4 tires.

My next was a 2009 Sportshift - had 33,000 miles when I got it with 3 previous owners. drove that (not as hard but aggressive) for 11,000 miles in 2 years - zero problems mechanically I did replace one door seal that had a 1" tear, and redid the seat leathers... zero other issues...

Now I'm on my third Vantage GT - looking forward to even more 'no issues' in the next several years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Massive depreciation