996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Report-complete suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Report-complete suspension upgrade

I had this done about 6 weeks ago but did not want to report until I had some seat time to really see the results. During that time I drove a 3 day DE at Summit Point, a 3 day DE at VIR, and two 5 hour drives to and from VIR which gave me a chance to compare street driving to track driving.

This all started because I was not happy with the bouncing of the turbo from the too light springs of the PSS9's while driving on track. I called Bilstein to get some stiffer springs and was told there weren't any. And I was never referred to the folks who do custom re-valving and springs like Mikelly had done. So I started searching for a different solution. Then one day I'm looking through the 6speed 'for sale' section and Alex from Sharkwerks is offering a set of Moton Clubsports off their 996TT. They only had 3000 miles on them and a price to die for, $3500. Luckily, I got my offer in quick enough. When they were delivered I took them to my shop and my tech said he didn't think I needed them, and the chief instructor from our club discouraged me from putting them on. So I thought about what they said for a few months, but the PSS9's were just not cutting it for me. The more I read about turbo suspension upgrades, the more I wanted to move ahead. So I dove in the deep end of the pool. I bought front and rear GT3 lower control arms, front toe steer arms with bump steer fix, rear toe steer arms, rear upper control arms, and rear locking plates. I took everything to my tech and said install it. It probably would have been better to do one thing at a time to feel each improvement, but budgetary concerns necessitated a one time labor charge.

Now for the results. First let me say I am still dialing in the Motons and sway bars. And I pretty much destroyed a rear tire so my camber probably needs some more adjustment. I've also already thought of going to even stiffer springs than the 450/700 set that came with Alex's Motons, but that might put the street ride in buckboard territory. All that being said, I'm glad I did the upgrade. The car is so much more planted and solid. Steering response is much more nimble. Turn in is immediate. The bouncing has been eliminated. The car stays flat in the corners but would probably stay even flatter with stiffer springs. Lex at Moton told me they recommend a 700/900 spring set for the 996TT, but that is for dedicated track cars. As my car is now, I can dial the shocks back and have a good street ride. A little stiffer when driving slow, but fine at speed.

One other thing. I've been a life long racing fan and have always heard that tires are the most important piece of the suspension, but I never really understood that fully until I drove on my first set of R compound tires. What a difference they make. Slicks must be awesome but with such a short life cycle they are beyond my budget. R compounds noticeably improve the car's handling and speed through the twisty bits.

Now that the suspension is sorted out, almost, I can start looking for some bigger turbos.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks.

Good luck Larry....very nice report. I'll have to get some R888's now. Darn you!

Jeff

Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Larry, Thanks for your review. I might be going the same direction. I have PSS9's now. Ah... maybe Santa will bring you bigger turbos this year;-)

Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
nice, now the fun begins!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Larry are you going to the At Speed event this weekend? Or the PCA open house. I want to check your upgrades out

Old 09-17-2009, 05:43 AM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
What are you guys doing with your old pss9's as im looking to mibi replace my JIC Cross set up with pss's.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Very nice, that setup must have cost you an arm and a leg hehe

Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Neil A, why would you want PSS9's when JIC offers different spring sets with their shocks? If I had gone with JIC's and the proper spring set in the beginning, I might never have had to go this far. I suggest you investigate a different spring set for your car. What is it that you are not happy with?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Gunther, sorry, I won't be at either of those events. I will be doing the last DE of the year at Summit Point on Oct.31, Nov.1.

Last edited by landjet; 09-17-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
To anyone with PSS9's, if you are not happy with them, PM Mikelly and get the phone mumber for the Bilstein people who re-valve and re-spring PSS9's. Let them work their magic. I have ridden in Mikelly's car and it is completely different from the off-the-shelf setup. And Mike tracked his car very successfully on them. You'll probably save yourself a bunch of money.

Last edited by landjet; 09-17-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Mikelly recommended in my case using PSS9's Eurospec version for street/track. Going to buy these soon as an early Xmas present to myself

Old 09-17-2009, 01:14 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Larry -

Thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear that it has worked out well for you. It will take several more events to get the feel for all of those changes.

FWIW - I strongly recommend against upgrading your turbos until you have more seat time and confidence with the new suspension. More hp at this point will only get you into trouble. The $10k+ upgrading turbos, intercoolers, software and clutch will buy a lot of seat time.

Jon

Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Yea, I agree. Not going to power upgrade till later. I'm still dialing in what I have.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
nice writeup!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:23 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I know Smart Racing re-valves Bilstein's
http://www.smartracingproducts.com/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Report-complete suspension upgrade