996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help me understand how to shop for aftermarket wheels!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
TFarner is infamous around these parts
Help me understand how to shop for aftermarket wheels!

I am wanting to put aftermarket wheels on my 996tt and am having a hard time understanding some of the terminology: offsets, spacers, springs, etc. I want 19's and I want to have it lowered...any advice would be appreciated!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Read this...then come back...

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Old 09-28-2009, 08:48 PM
911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !
I'll give you a great deal on my 19's....

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ims-tires.html

Old 09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TFarner
I am wanting to put aftermarket wheels on my 996tt and am having a hard time understanding some of the terminology: offsets, spacers, springs, etc. I want 19's and I want to have it lowered...any advice would be appreciated!
Here's a brief explanation. Hopefully I can help it all make sense for you.

Basically when talking about wheels, the only terminology you mentioned above that is relevant is offset. Offset refers to where the the hub of the wheel is in relation to the center point of the wheel, when looking from above. This picture illustrates that.

The number you see when people speak of offset describes the relation of the pad mount (where the wheel mounts to the car) in relation to the center line of the wheel. A positive number (et65 for example) would mean that the mounting point is 65mm from the center line of the wheel, towards the face of the wheel. A negative number (et-10) for example) means that the mounting point is 10mm away from the center line of the wheel, towards the inner barrel of the wheel. Variations in offset determine how the wheel sits in relation to the body of the car. A larger offset number will pull the wheel in towards the car, while a smaller number will push the wheel out. Correct offset is KEY when getting new wheels to insure that the wheels will clear the brakes on the car and sit properly in relation to the fender.

A spacer is a metal plate that is essentially used to change the offset of the wheel. It mounts in between the wheel and the car's hub, effectively changing the final offset of the wheel. See pic.

If your wheels have the proper offset, then there is no need for spacers. Spacers are most often used to change the offset of stock wheels, since they are normally very conservative in offset.

Springs are used to lower the car. Offset becomes a factor when lowering the car, because if you're offset is too aggressive (i.e. a smaller ET number), then you run the risk of having contact between the tire and the vehicle's fender when you lower it. If you have the proper offset, again, this will not be a concern.

I hope this helps clear it up a little. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 AM
frontside720 is infamous around these partsfrontside720 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tom@champion
here's a brief explanation. Hopefully i can help it all make sense for you.

Basically when talking about wheels, the only terminology you mentioned above that is relevant is offset. Offset refers to where the the hub of the wheel is in relation to the center point of the wheel, when looking from above. This picture illustrates that.

the number you see when people speak of offset describes the relation of the pad mount (where the wheel mounts to the car) in relation to the center line of the wheel. A positive number (et65 for example) would mean that the mounting point is 65mm from the center line of the wheel, towards the face of the wheel. A negative number (et-10) for example) means that the mounting point is 10mm away from the center line of the wheel, towards the inner barrel of the wheel. Variations in offset determine how the wheel sits in relation to the body of the car. A larger offset number will pull the wheel in towards the car, while a smaller number will push the wheel out. Correct offset is key when getting new wheels to insure that the wheels will clear the brakes on the car and sit properly in relation to the fender.

A spacer is a metal plate that is essentially used to change the offset of the wheel. It mounts in between the wheel and the car's hub, effectively changing the final offset of the wheel. See pic.

if your wheels have the proper offset, then there is no need for spacers. Spacers are most often used to change the offset of stock wheels, since they are normally very conservative in offset.

Springs are used to lower the car. Offset becomes a factor when lowering the car, because if you're offset is too aggressive (i.e. A smaller et number), then you run the risk of having contact between the tire and the vehicle's fender when you lower it. If you have the proper offset, again, this will not be a concern.

I hope this helps clear it up a little. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.
thank you!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Offsets and spacers seem to have been well covered by Champion. You also need to take into consideration construction method when shopping for wheels - this is highly important as it will affect weight, structural rigidity and overall performance of your car.

You can read up more on cast vs forged in this article published by COR Forged's engineers:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...fferences.html

If we can be of any help in your wheel shopping and research experience, feel free to PM, call or email us!

Originally Posted by TFarner